Texascrane Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been meaning to post a build thread for a while. Of course, it's never done, but I finished most of the major stuff earlier this year.

---------------

Current Summary of Modifications:

Armor
ARB Combo Bar front bumper (aerial/light tabs cut off to fit) w/ fog-light kit
Slee step sliders
Slee rear bumper w/ dual swingouts (and jerry can rack)

Suspension
OME 1.5" Kit with 2866 springs
SPC upper control arms
Slee diff drop

Tires
275/70r18 Cooper AT3

Misc
ComeUp Seal Gen 2 9.5rs winch
ARB Twin air compressor
Yellow-box speedometer correction
ARB Fridge
SPOD w/ 6 switch panel
Eezi-Awn K9 roof rack
Ham radio - Yeasu 8800R
Hella Rallye 4000 Euro beam lights
Grom TOYNA1 auxillary audio in

Planned
Dual battery (purchased Blue Sea ML-ACR)
Cargo management system

----------------

So, here is my 2006 LX470 as purchased from a Lexus dealer in June of 2014 with about 97k miles on it. It was a very clean, well-maintained truck.

jpIGg6Wl.jpg

hzWgUlal.jpg

The first thing I did was take off the running boards and get some AT tires. I went with 275/70r18 Cooper AT3s. I've been on a 5 wheel rotation every 5k and these tires have been wearing extremely well. I'm getting 5k+ per 1/32 of tread. They've been performing really well both on and off-road although I am tempted to move to the ST-Maxx when it's time for new tires.

6NQWHhal.jpg

I purchased a yellow-box speedometer corrector from Australia. It was cheaper than many of the other options and works great. Yellowbox Speedometer Correction Install

Gq1Rwall.jpg

Unfortunately, my secondary air induction system failed within a few weeks of picking up the truck. I used the $150 bypass that's popular with the Tundra guys (who had a huge issue with this on their vehicles) rather than spending several thousand to repair it. It's been working fine for well over a year and 20k miles now. Details in my thread here: 06/07 Air Induction Pump Failure & Bypass

Additionally, I got whacked in a parking lot about this time, taking out the rear bumper and doing some other damage to the rear of the vehicle. It did a number on the lady's traverse that hit me. When it rains it pours - Do I repair or go ARB?.

YfslSpOl.jpg

IQk9yyhl.jpg

I ended up driving it around with the banged up bumper for a few months. Finally in January, I ordered a dual-swingout bumper from Slee and had the bodyshop do the install for me while they were repairing the other damage.

px1XCggl.jpg

Because the new rear tire carrier was blocking part of my backup camera, I had a local shop fab up a mount and relocate my backup camera:

uV0ppgNl.jpg

AViGvTdl.jpg

The next mod was to add an ARB twin air compressor for fast airing up of tires (no current plans to lock the front/rear axles). I used the mounting bracket from Torfab. It requires moving a couple of things around, but it fit without having to touch the AHC components.

iTzBoMsl.jpg

HdJ9tMvl.jpg

At some point around this time I got tired of the gold emblems, so I plastidipped everything black. I think it was a big aesthetic improvement.

Next up on the list was front bumpers and sliders. I decided at this point that it was also time with all the extra weight to move from the AHC to an OME heavy duty suspension. I talked to a bunch of shops in the area about doing the job, but I finally decided that I was just going to run it up to Colorado and have Slee do it for me. Their pricing was either the same or even less than the quotes I got locally, and they obviously know what they're doing when it comes to all of this.

They were able to schedule me just prior to heading out for Overland Expo West 2015 (my brother and I went and spent some time afterwards checking out AZ and Utah). I went with the 1.5" lift, ARB front bumper, and Slee step sliders. It took them a little less than 2 days. I work from home, so I just brought my laptop, rented a car (my corporate rate is dirt cheap), and found a nice cigar shop to hang out at.

Here's what it looked like when I got it home:

1XoArPOl.jpg

And a few shots from our subsequent trip:

UcDSKGol.jpg

yb9VqtLl.jpg

yiEvaygl.jpg

dYqA39al.jpg

I posted a write-up of the trip over on ExPo: Dallas to Overland Expo West '15 - Expedition Portal

Next up was a winch. I picked up a Come Up Seal Gen 2 9.5rs. I had bought the offset hawse fairlead from Slee when I was there and I had bought a factory second Factor 55 Prolink at Overland Expo. They were selling test run colors and ones with marks on them. I couldn't ever see any problems on the one I bought and I saved a bundle on it (I would have just used the hook that came with the which if I had to pay full price for one).

Since it's a feet forward bumper, I was able to use my floor jack and a couple of blocks of wood to lift the winch up into place.

I did have to modify the ARB control box bracket (it was sized and drilled for a Warn). I chopped about an inch or so off the end and then drilled holes to match the mounting pattern. Shortening the bracket is specific to the LX470, as you need to get the box a bit more forward to avoid the grill as the hood opens and closes.

The only other issue I had was the temp sensor wire coming from the control box was too short to reach the winch. I did a little bit of research and it turns out the connectors are a mini-Tamiya style. This is apparently really common in the RC world so I just went over to an RC hobby shop where they had exactly what I needed to make a little 12-inch extension cable. My guess is that if you ask nicely, most places would make you an extension cable while you wait.

RYdy1xOl.jpg

I bought a fridge last month prior to a road trip with my wife and son so the next mod up is a dual battery system. I've purchased a Blue Sea ML-ACR, but I haven't figured out how to fit both a second battery and my ARB compressor. I'll probably have a shop fabricate something for me and I may have them do the whole job.

I also picked up an SPOD at Overland Expo, but I haven't found a good way to mount it. So I'm thinking that I'll have the shop fabricate a mounting bracket for that when they do the dual battery bracket for me.

I'm also thinking about a storage system for the rear. I still use the rear seats when family is in town so I need something a bit unique. I'm thinking of building a plywood/carpet "base" with fridge slide, tie-down points. and maybe a single drawer. Basically a simple way to run the fridge and have some basic storage organization but done in a way that's easy to remove when I need the rear seats. Something similar to this, using the tie down points in the rear to hold it in place:

DSC06772.jpg

DSC06798.jpg

Other future mods will include a roof-rack (I'm leaning towards the Eezi-awn K9 right now) and possibly new wheels/tires. I'm thinking about trying to pick up a set of 5 16" wheels, painting them black and getting some Cooper ST-Maxx. I'm unsure of 255/85r16 or 285/75r16. I'm also not sure if there are wheel options other than the factory rims that will fit without spacers. I'm not going to use any wheels that require spacers. Will 80-series rims work?

I'll keep this thread updated as I make more mods/changes moving forward.

Last edited:
No on the 80 rims. Nice looking truck!

I'm interested in people's opinions. I'd like to either do some black or dark grey rims. I haven't seen anybody on here paint or powdercoat these rims before.

I photoshopped up the current 18" rims to get an idea of what they would look like. I think the dark grey looks pretty slick. I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle of finding 16" rims, painting/powdercoating them, and getting new tires, or should I just stick with the stock 18" wheels. I'm running 275/70r18 and if I went to 16" I'd probably go down just a little to 285/75r16.

As is:
lvoTW0eh.jpg

Black:
pVn3eOCh.jpg

Dark Grey:
SjrthdVh.jpg

Why not plasti dip them as a color test. Doesn't take too long and you can peel it and have them powder coated if you like it.

I vote for black cuz of the bumpers. But I have grey rock warriors on an all white LC so either will look nice.

I vote as-is. If I had the funds to build and customize my white 99, I'd color-code bumpers and sliders white and would seriously consider doing the same to the wheels.

Between black and grey, I'd choose grey and coat the armor to match.

Got some plastidip at Home Depot yesterday and tried it out on the wheels to see how it looks. I like it. I saw on dipyourcar that they have a charcoal color that I think I might prefer though. For now, I'm going to just see how the plastidip holds up.

Periodically spraying some plastidip may be a better option (certainly cheaper) that getting the wheels powdercoated. Plus, I can always peel it off and go back to stock.

iPnKW6Wh.jpg

Completed a 120k service this past week. I ended up having the brake fluid swapped out at Toyota of Dallas (they seem to always run a $89 special) because I wasn't sure about flushing the ABS system without the special Toyota tool. I also had the tires rotated at Discount Tire (I have them do a 5-wheel rotation every 5k when I change the oil). I did everything else at home.

Replaced the power steering fluid with Mobil 1 ATF. Replaced the front/rear diffs and transfer case with Mobil 1 75w90. New engine and cabin air filters. New denso spark plugs and of course an oil change with my usual Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil 1 oil filter. I also put new front/rear rotors and pads on and repacked the front bearings last month. I should be good to go for a while now.

New vs old plugs:

EZwPVOIh.jpg

Also, I've set up a little RAM mount as my cell-phone holder (I previously was only using it for my Tablet (for GPS) when off-roading. I picked up some NFC tags for $10 on Amazon. I was able to set the phone to recognize that Tag and automatically unlock itself and start the car dash app when I set it into the cradle. It's pretty slick and now I don't have to mess with lockscreens or anything when I'm in the car. Now I just need to find a good way to route a power cable to the phone so I don't have wires hanging everywhere.

wMQglnuh.jpg

0GoV5bch.jpg

I thought I should also add that I figured the plastidip was going to get torn up when they rotated and balanced the wheels at discount tire. Shockingly they look exactly the same. The plastidip seems to be way tougher once it's been on for a week or two than I was expecting. It may end up being a better long-term approach than powdercoating.

Hey maybe you can answer me this since you have an 06 which I believe has this button. What exactly does the tire pressure sensor button do on the left side of the steering wheel.

Nice build by the way, I'll be subbing to watch it as you go. How do you like the ride now anyway?

Sent from my iPhone

Hey maybe you can answer me this since you have an 06 which I believe has this button. What exactly does the tire pressure sensor button do on the left side of the steering wheel.

Nice build by the way, I'll be subbing to watch it as you go. How do you like the ride now anyway?

Sent from my iPhone

I think all 100-series have that TPMS set button. In theory, it allows you to adjust the air pressure up or down and then "set" it as the new pressure. So if you have your tires set at something other than the stock 29/32 you won't get the TPMS light coming on.

I like the ride. It's definitely firmer than stock, but I don't find it bad. It handles big hits far better than it did before and it's much flatter when cornering. It was stiffer when it was just installed. I suspect that some of the complaints people have are from within the first few hundred miles before it's had a chance to "break in" and/or they have mostly stock vehicles with little or no extra weight on them.

I think all 100-series have that TPMS set button. In theory, it allows you to adjust the air pressure up or down and then "set" it as the new pressure. So if you have your tires set at something other than the stock 29/32 you won't get the TPMS light coming on.

I like the ride. It's definitely firmer than stock, but I don't find it bad. It handles big hits far better than it did before and it's much flatter when cornering. It was stiffer when it was just installed. I suspect that some of the complaints people have are from within the first few hundred miles before it's had a chance to "break in" and/or they have mostly stock vehicles with little or no extra weight on them.
Thanks for the info. The ones I've seen before 06 don't have the tpms button. They may have tpms but not button. Not sure on that. I know in 07 it's a federal law that all vehicles have to have tpms in them in some form. I figured that's what the button did though but have never seen a manufacturer give control of the settings on the tpms before so was just checking.

Sent from my iPhone

[This is a cross-post from another thread but I wanted to capture this here in my build thread]

So I wanted some heavier duty front recovery points. The stock points don't look terrible, but they're too small for a 3/4" shackle. I ordered a set of the Roadsafe brackets from Mark's 4wd in Australia. They looked pretty substantial and have a 5000kg rating. The US dollar is really strong against the Australian dollar right now, so even after paying for 2-4 day courier service, they still only ran me ~$135 for the pair. They showed up yesterday (4 business days) and they looked really nice. Much more substantial than the stock points.

They also came with 4x grade 12.9 bolts for a 100 (14 x 1.5) , along with another 4 for an 80-series (12 x 1.25).

1BZUzk4l.jpg

YOGHrLdl.jpg

I originally had some problems getting the brackets to fit inside the "box" of the ARB bumper as pictured below. I went back outside after it had warmed up a little and gave it another try (I saw a youtube video with somebody else using the same bumper/recover point combo, so I knew it should fit).

Sure enough, I was able to get them on. It's very, very tight with the ARB bumper, but they just barely fit.

I'm very pleased to have some "real" recovery points on the front of my 100-series now.

Before:
shDguzwl.jpg

After:

70eXVCOl.jpg

ydwWRgVl.jpg

I think that for roughly $135 to you doorstep from Australia, these are pretty hard to beat.

Based on feedback from several folks, I've decided to hold off on installing a dual battery system. There isn't an off the shelf solution right now that allows me to keep my ARB twin compressor along with a second battery under the hood. Slee mentioned to me that they're thinking about a redesign of their dual battery bracket that would accommodate the larger compressor. I'm going to hold off for a while to see what they come up with.

In the meantime, I'm planning to pick up one of these: Amazon.com : Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase : Patio, Lawn & Garden

It seems very affordable and should provide more than enough juice to run my fridge while camping. I've got an antigravity XP-10 to jump the battery if it's too flat to start the truck.

My main challenge right now is figuring out how to mount the SPOD under the hood. The way they did it in this Tacoma video doesn't quite work on a 100-series. If anybody has some ideas, I'm all ears.

Let me know if you want to sell your wheels and tires. I'm local.

Hey how do you like that tent? I am looking at getting one myself. Have you used it in cold weather at all. I am hoping that it does better then my current nylon tent at retaining a bit of heat in the cold.

Sent from my iPhone

Looks great, and along the lines of what I want mine to get to down the road.

Hey how do you like that tent? I am looking at getting one myself. Have you used it in cold weather at all. I am hoping that it does better then my current nylon tent at retaining a bit of heat in the cold.

Sent from my iPhone

The Oztent is great. It's very easy to put up and take down and it's very flexible/expandable depending on your uses. I've only used it down to freezing. I'll usually vent it a bit so I don't get any condensation forming, but that also means it tends to get chilly inside the tent. If you have a warm sleeping bag, it doesn't really matter.

If you want to keep the tent itself warm when it's really cold outside, your best bet is some kind of tent heater. The tent is big so it's probably not going to stay super warm on it's own just from body heat.

The Oztent is great. It's very easy to put up and take down and it's very flexible/expandable depending on your uses. I've only used it down to freezing. I'll usually vent it a bit so I don't get any condensation forming, but that also means it tends to get chilly inside the tent. If you have a warm sleeping bag, it doesn't really matter.

If you want to keep the tent itself warm when it's really cold outside, your best bet is some kind of tent heater. The tent is big so it's probably not going to stay super warm on it's own just from body heat.
It's not that I'm really trying to keep the heat in but more so trying to not let as much out. I have a mr heater propane heater that works pretty good but I'm my tent because it's so thin and has so much mesh that the wind goes right through it and pulls all the heat out along with it. So I guess mostly I need the fabric to be somewhat wind resistant. Which tent do you have. I have been looking at the RV5. We went to the overland expo east and was able to look at it there and size wise it would work for us.

Sent from my iPhone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom