ARB Drawer Owners...... I Have Some Questions for You. (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drawer stop/lock isn't holding a drawer when fully opened. Guessing the clip snapped off.

Just thinking of taking the tops off to review/remedy has me pissed off.

Call ARB they will send you spares no charge. You will continue to break them. I know this because i went through 8 in two years. More weight in the drawers will accelerate this problem.

When I sold my ARB / OS System I included spares and warned the new owner.

Has ARB not solved this issue yet? I am just about to pull the tigger on a drawer - like today. I was hoping that this had been fixed. Good service is one thing. Reengineering things so that we don't need to call service for replacements is better.

Are their comparable systems (I'm only looking for a drawer on one side that can also be a sleeping platform when combined with the 2nd row being folded in half)? No fridge. And it needs to be "removeable" in less than an hour and not require that I drill holes.

Call ARB they will send you spares no charge. You will continue to break them. I know this because i went through 8 in two years. More weight in the drawers will accelerate this problem.

When I sold my ARB / OS System I included spares and warned the new owner.

Hmm. Weird, because I had drawers in my 100 for years and nothing ever broke or came loose. That was before ARB bought Outback Solutions...but they are pretty much identical. No problems with the ARBs in my 200.

Has ARB not solved this issue yet? I am just about to pull the tigger on a drawer - like today. I was hoping that this had been fixed. Good service is one thing. Reengineering things so that we don't need to call service for replacements is better.

Are their comparable systems (I'm only looking for a drawer on one side that can also be a sleeping platform when combined with the 2nd row being folded in half)? No fridge. And it needs to be "removeable" in less than an hour and not require that I drill holes.

Hey Dan,

If you need it to install/remove regularly, you might want another solution. While they do not require drilling, they are not designed with frequent installation/removal in mind.

I too have had very little overall issues with the stops in my 100/200 and very few with customers BUT I have dealt with a few and fully agree there should be a better solution.

Are there other solutions that can be put on one side and serve as a sleeping platform?

The drawer slide "lock" on these is made of plastic. It's a terrible design element.

When you call ARB they act like they've never heard of the problem... hahaha, yet they are readily prepared to send you as many of them as you want. I know 4 other owners of this system and they have all had the breakage issue.

I suspect it's weight related - i carried about 50lbs of gear in each drawer and even when new the "lock" would barely hold. If the truck was pointed downhill and a tailwind came up the drawers would slam shut. I would recommend a hitch pin as a safety stop.

These drawers are perfectly fine, they are light (as these things go) and inexpensive (as these things go). Don't expect precision cabinetry and innovative design (that's a TrekboxX thing). These are bare bones functional. I know most folks think these are expensive as a complete set landed will run $1800 but this is about as basic as drawers come.

One other thing to look for on these systems is color match - I have seen different grey color shades of the carpet. These a modular so different batch may have different colors. My fit kit was lighter grey than the drawers. My buddy has two different color grey drawer tops. Not horrendous but notable.

Thanks for the heads up. TrekboxX is impressive if I was truly doing overlanding. But I will be happy with a single drawer on one side so that I can replace the 2 smaller homemade drawers I have and at the same time creating a sleeping platform for a single person. Matching carpet would be preferred. I'll be getting them from Slee so maybe they have enough on hand to make sure it matches.

As for taking it out, @Markuson, if I were to need to remove them it would maybe be once a year. Not for a quick trip to Home Depot or something. Same with the right hand third row seat. I'll probably just leave it in.

My next question is how hard is it to install a single drawer myself. I already removed the 3rd row seating. Slee may not be able to do the install in time for my first trip. I'm wondering if a couple hours of my own time would get the job done so I'll just pick up what I need from Slee and do it myself. I have read that the instructions are terrible. But, instructions aside, it is a pretty straightforward install? Do the drawers come already assembled? Is it as bad as IKEA? :-O

The drawer slide "lock" on these is made of plastic. It's a terrible design element.

When you call ARB they act like they've never heard of the problem... hahaha, yet they are readily prepared to send you as many of them as you want. I know 4 other owners of this system and they have all had the breakage issue.

I suspect it's weight related - i carried about 50lbs of gear in each drawer and even when new the "lock" would barely hold. If the truck was pointed downhill and a tailwind came up the drawers would slam shut. I would recommend a hitch pin as a safety stop.

These drawers are perfectly fine, they are light (as these things go) and inexpensive (as these things go). Don't expect precision cabinetry and innovative design (that's a TrekboxX thing). These are bare bones functional. I know most folks think these are expensive as a complete set landed will run $1800 but this is about as basic as drawers come.

One other thing to look for on these systems is color match - I have seen different grey color shades of the carpet. These a modular so different batch may have different colors. My fit kit was lighter grey than the drawers. My buddy has two different color grey drawer tops. Not horrendous but notable.

"Bare bones functional"?
Way too harsh an assessment IMHO. Fit kit color was is perfect on my two sets. They are silent. Even over harsh terrain. Mine carry well over 50lbs per side as did the ones in my 100 for years... & lock-open works great on both drawer and roller-top. Was never once an issue with the set in my 100--despite heavy gear always. Side fit kit is tight...no gaps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. TrekboxX is impressive if I was truly doing overlanding. But I will be happy with a single drawer on one side so that I can replace the 2 smaller homemade drawers I have and at the same time creating a sleeping platform for a single person. Matching carpet would be preferred. I'll be getting them from Slee so maybe they have enough on hand to make sure it matches.

As for taking it out, @Markuson, if I were to need to remove them it would maybe be once a year. Not for a quick trip to Home Depot or something. Same with the right hand third row seat. I'll probably just leave it in.

My next question is how hard is it to install a single drawer myself. I already removed the 3rd row seating. Slee may not be able to do the install in time for my first trip. I'm wondering if a couple hours of my own time would get the job done so I'll just pick up what I need from Slee and do it myself. I have read that the instructions are terrible. But, instructions aside, it is a pretty straightforward install? Do the drawers come already assembled? Is it as bad as IKEA? :-O

You could get one done in a couple hours. Yes. I installed my first full set, but this last one was put in by Slee as it was a day before Ouray and I was in Golden.

The biggest "barrier" when I did mine was simply deciphering the Aussie lingo in the instructions. :)

You do realize, Mate, that you need to interpret instructions from down under you need to turn them upside down. I'm going to talk to Amory at Slee today. Maybe they would be willing to at least give me 2 or 3 - do this, don't do that - suggestions to help me along. We'll see. There is probably an order to things that I need to pay attention to. Like, don't put the top on until you are done accessing the inside.

BTW, I want to keep the padding and sound insulation underneath if that is OK. I'm also going to look at the side facing the 3rd row seat when it is deployed (the right hand one) to see if there are any rough or sharp edges that I need to deal with. And find some way to cover them.

You have a '16, right? There may be some overhang from the under-floor hvac near the forward bolts that you'll have to trim. Mounting a single drawer shouldn't be too big of an issue. Probably an hour of drawer prep and and and for the install. I have some notes and pictures in my build thread (search for Pennypacker).

Thanks. Yes, a 2016.

Just picked it up at Slee. I'll do the install this weekend. I'll check out Pennypacker. ;) If you're online I may have questions. But I hope not.

"Bare bones functional"?
Way too harsh an assessment IMHO. Fit kit color was is perfect on my two sets. They are silent. Even over harsh terrain. Mine carry well over 50lbs per side as did the ones in my 100 for years... & lock-open works great on both drawer and roller-top. Was never once an issue with the set in my 100--despite heavy gear always. Side fit kit is tight...no gaps.

Bare Bones - two drawers no options. Not harsh - obvious.

I'm glad your ARB drawers are pristine and function perfectly. If they solve your problem then great for you. Mine worked for a couple of years with maintenance. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of these drawers. My experience isn't unique and should our buyers (in thread) put down the cash they should be informed about some quirks. That's why we are all here.

I'd bet you a dollar at least one of your plastic "locks" is broken right now... take the top off and look, I'll wait. :)

Have the steel drawer bottoms "oil canned" yet?

You have a '16, right? There may be some overhang from the under-floor hvac near the forward bolts that you'll have to trim. Mounting a single drawer shouldn't be too big of an issue. Probably an hour of drawer prep and and and for the install. I have some notes and pictures in my build thread (search for Pennypacker).

Brought the drawer home today. Couldn't wait to start and needed some physical exercise vs starting at a computer screen. So I cleaned out the back of the truck, opened up the packages and grabbed the instructions.

Then I went to your build thread. Stopped at the pics from your trip to the Tetons where you have your awning up and I see you have the same chairs and table that we do! (Except that I went for the chair that swivels.) Once I get my roof rack up there I want to set up the table and one of those chairs up their to watch a sunset. Just because. Great pic. Love the Tetons and hope to have the LC there in a few weeks though I won't be sitting outside!)

Back on topic - I am going to read through the ARB Drawers section of your build now. Then go determine what parts of the instructions I can ignore and which parts I can ignore. ;)

Bare Bones - two drawers no options. Not harsh - obvious.

I'm glad your ARB drawers are pristine and function perfectly. If they solve your problem then great for you. Mine worked for a couple of years with maintenance. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of these drawers. My experience isn't unique and should our buyers (in thread) put down the cash they should be informed about some quirks. That's why we are all here.

I'd bet you a dollar at least one of your plastic "locks" is broken right now... take the top off and look, I'll wait. :)

Have the steel drawer bottoms "oil canned" yet?

Meh...
I just reserve descriptions like "bare bones functional" for stuff that barely functions at all. These are strong, quiet, fitted and have taken plenty of abuse over the years (on my 100).

Meh...
I just reserve descriptions like "bare bones functional" for stuff that barely functions at all. These are strong, quiet, fitted and have taken plenty of abuse over the years (on my 100).

I agree 100%. Bare bones is the last way I would describe the ARB drawers, and I've had them in 2 rigs now. I find them to be extremely solid, attractive and well fitting with the side fit kit, not to mention extremely versatile. I noticed Rob has about a $6k Trekboxx drawer system, so if you're comparing the ARB drawers with that setup I can see how it might not appear quite as robust. I wouldn't expect a $1,500 system to be quite as nice as a $6k system, so it's great we as consumers have options considering what a niche vehicle the Land Cruiser is in the US.

As a side note, I can't see a way to get the Trekboxx to work as a sleeping platform which is a primary strength of the ARB drawers IMO. I also can't imagine the ARB drawers are any louder when cruising down the road or trail which was another one of my top considerations.

The TrekBoxx is a very nice system. I'm happy with the upgrade. it wasn't 6k. There are several configurations for TrekBoxx - the Bravo System I believe is flat on top so you could sleep on it. You can also get TB single drawers as well etc etc.

I'll let you guys work out the semantics of bare bones. Just because you guys spent money on them doesn't make them any less simple. It's two -3/4 extension drawers with an optional top slide and some trim. You can stack drawers and they are modular but they are simple. Somehow I'm getting the impression you think bare bones is derogatory or bad.

I like TrekBoxx quite a bit. I inquired about a 200 kit, just waiting for a reply. Is it worth twice the price for a tailor made cargo solution? Maybe. I still have more research to do. Over the years I've learned that paying more up front usually ends up meaning you pay less in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom