ARB Drawer Owners...... I Have Some Questions for You. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to decide if a drawer set up is something I can benefit from, hoping to tidy up the general mess of bike stuff/hunting stuff/tools, et cetera that I keep in the truck (all in plastic bins.) Not looking to carry a fridge or anything like that. This would purely be for organizing.

I like the idea of the drawer set up BUT every now and then I'm glad I have the room needed to move furniture and similar. Just yesterday a set of BMW seats arrived for my 60 series. No problem getting both of the large boxes they were shipped in into my 200. I also have an old labrador retriever who occasionally rides in the back; he'll no longer be able to stand.

Tell me what you think about your set up. What are the pros? The cons? Did you do any modifications for improvement? What would you change, if anything, with your set up? What ABR options did you go with?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Here are some questions I recently sent to ARB and am waiting for their reply>

"Hey. I have a 200 series Land Cruiser and am considering adding a drawer system. I'm looking for a set up similar to what I have pictured here, less the barriers and the fridge.

My questions are:
Based on your literature I have, what are the widest and deepest drawers I can install?
What are the catalog #s for those drawers?
Are the side portions accessible and usable? If so, how are they accessible?
Will retrieving the truck jack be an issue?
Are there other finishes or a mat available for the top deck to prevent stuff like grocery bags from sliding?
I'm pretty good with tools. What should I expect install time to take?
What does a set up as pictured less the barriers and fridge cost, delivered to zip code 29601?
What does the set weigh, approximately? "

ARB Drawers 200 Series.jpeg

I'll tackle a few of your questions

the sides are accessible as there are panels made to lift off with round screw/knobs to lock them down

I lifted the passenger side panel and was able to quickly get the jack out

I would guess its about two hours to install, I would allocate half a day just in case

I think they only come in one finish and mat. The drawers are pretty much the same for most vehicles, the trim git is the difference

You can get shorter drawers, dimensions should be on their web site along with weight

They are heavy, but you can install yourself as you put one frame in then the next and bolt together then install the drawers

And I'll just add that my dogs LOVE the drawers: laying on them they can still see out the windows!

I think the whole thing weighs about 150 lbs. I didn't find it difficult to lift the whole frame in for the install, just have to be careful not to scratch the cruiser doing it (tight fit).

Directions make more sense AFTER you've done it, but if you are patient you shouldn't have any problem.

Only modification I (and I think Romer) have done is mounting a Hi Lift between the drawers and second row. Fits well.

If you want answers to all of your questions and pricing, give the company I bought mine from a call. They have sold and installed 2 sets for me. Accessory Outfitters....503-642-2600

Nice picture by the way. :smokin:

150 lbs for the draws. What do the seats weigh? So in reality the drawers aren't too heavy considering the seat weight offset.

All good info and opinions so far, thanks.

I believe I saw a pic (Romers build thread?) of the side of the drawers facing the second row seats as being bare metal and unfinished.

Is this correct?

If I decided to go with the roll tops for the sake of being able to slide them for retrieving things (big cooler full of beer,) will the drawers be taller or does the slide hardware intrude into the drawer space, making them shallower? If the latter, does the sliders take much space?

The drawers are probably my favorite modification so far -- they're awesome. Here are some lessons I've taken away as well as some notes on your questions:
  • Drawer Size: I'd suggest two of the 41" deep x 21" wide x 11" high drawers that most people here use. I went with one roller-top and one fixed. RD1045 and RDRF1045 on my Slee invoice.
  • Definite go with the trim kit. The storage below is definitely still usable (I store a tow rope, first aid kit, driver's manual, and rear electronics on one side and fluids/dromedary bags on the other).
  • You can still access the jack easily. The 110 outlet is a bit more cumbersome to reach but still accessible. In a pinch you can always remove the fit kit with an allen wrench.
  • As folks have said above, there's one option for the finish. If you're worried about stuff sliding around, consider some of those cargo-area non-slip boxes from the Container Store for typical weekend errands. My truck is always ready for camping, but we use those Container Store boxes in our Prius and they work very well. Bigger items should be lashed down.
  • Installation: The evening prior to the installation, I spent about 20-30 minutes removing the existing seats and cutting back carpet and a bit of plastic extrusion to get everything bolted in. Unpacking the drawers took about 15 minutes and then I assembled the drawers in my living room in probably 1 hour. A buddy came over and we carefully slide the frame into the vehicle. I was surprised at how tightly it fit around the wheel wells. The HAT sections were already in the correct location so we just installed the spacers/bolts, reassembled, and then we were done. It was probably 3 hours from breaking open the boxes until completion, though I wasn't competing for time.
  • Side benefit -- Velcro sticks to the external material so it's handy to attach small bags and pouches.
  • I'm considering getting the cargo barrier and divider to have a little attic storage.
  • I've mounted some HAM and CB radio equipment to the rear of one of the drawers. I have a fuse block, a radio speaker, and some electrical connectors mounted to one of the side trim panels.
  • Don't forget to take the key with you and don't lose it out on the trail. I've had some spares made.

All good info and opinions so far, thanks.

I believe I saw a pic (Romers build thread?) of the side of the drawers facing the second row seats as being bare metal and unfinished.

Is this correct?

If I decided to go with the roll tops for the sake of being able to slide them for retrieving things (big cooler full of beer,) will the drawers be taller or does the slide hardware intrude into the drawer space, making them shallower? If the latter, does the sliders take much space?

Yes bare metal on the backside. Same height and deminions with the slide vs non slide side

and these are WAY BETTER then a set of plastic bins

@Output Shaft 150 is indeed a considerable weight yet removing the back seats prob makes for a 70# gain. And with almost 400 horses pushing, it's nothing like our 60's.

you can always switch out to a heavier rate rear spring too - but you knew that...I just wanted to move my post count from 1729 - 1730

I would agree that the drawer system is the best bolt-on that I have done. I used the plastic bin system for many years, drawers are so much better.

Here's a shot of the drawers before the dog guard was installed. My dogs seem to love it back there. Little ones like being able to see out of the windows.
dogs on drawers.JPG

^^^^when the seats backs are folded down, are they flush with the drawer platform?

^^^^when the seats backs are folded down, are they flush with the drawer platform?

I bet the seats are lower.

Here is what my interior looks like on any given day. If I could keep all this away in the drawers/sides, I'd be pleased. Normally my second row isn't folded. I was hauling something.

IMG_5460.jpg
IMG_5461.jpg

Seats are actually a bit higher when folded.

Also if you do buy the drawers - pay attention to these little plastic pieces during installation. They come off very easy. When you bolt the two sides together this plastic piece(s) will maintain the gap and not warp the sides and the roller bearings won't bind.

IMG_5037.JPG

Anyone use the ARB drawer dividers? If so, could you comment and post a pic?

I bought some. I did not use them. I determined by installing them it would limit what I could put in the drawers. They screw in place. They are made out of thin plywood and are covered by the same indoor/outdoor material that the drawer lids are covered with. In my opinion, they are not worth the hassle unless you have a lot of small things to organize.

Thanks everyone for your help. When I'm spending what I consider a good chunk of change, I ask a lot of questions first. I got a lot of great, useful information from this thread.

Ordered an ARB drawer set up this past Monday and am looking forward to using them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom