April ROTM 2014 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't think I am the only one that is possibly confused about this trip and the route/routes folks are taking. I would like to go and stay overnight Saturday. That said, I don't run very big tires and I also don't have lockers. Combine those two facts along with not wanting to rearrange the sheet metal on my truck and I am thinking I will need to avoid rug road. SOOOOOOOOOO, who is going that will need/want to avoid that route?
You can take the route I am taking through Wilcox It's very easy. I described it previously.

Wish I was doing rug road with everyone!

I am comptemplating going just for the adventure; I suspect my rig could do Rug Road - but I'd be crawling and would hold up a group (no extra clearance of 3" lifts, 37" tires and such - but have done a couple 'rough' washes without damage that a year ago I'd have not attempted - experience a wonderful thing, thank you CSC). Going south to Tucson and back up is a lot of freeway (my 2012 FJC steering vibration is very tiring) for just a few miles of dirt. Add that I wouldn't be planning to camp - even though the location sounds pretty nice.

So I'm sitting on the fence.

Murf - you going in the LC or the rock crawling FJ?

That said, I am not willing to do this: and from the trip report not sure it's required or the guy was just playing:

IMG_1537_zps405cee0d.jpg

Last edited:
I am comptemplating going just for the adventure;So I'm sitting on the fence.

Im taking the rock crawling 80 :D. I figured alot of high speed road time to get to and from and the 80 is just too darn comfy to not take it.
I wish I could give you some advise, Ive never done Rug Road yet hear it is pretty challenging?

Last edited:
I am comptemplating going just for the adventure; I suspect my rig could do Rug Road - but I'd be crawling and would hold up a group (no extra clearance of 3" lifts, 37" tires and such - but have done a couple 'rough' washes without damage that a year ago I'd have not attempted - experience a wonderful thing, thank you CSC). Going south to Tucson and back up is a lot of freeway (my 2012 FJC steering vibration is very tiring) for just a few miles of dirt. Add that I wouldn't be planning to camp - even though the location sounds pretty nice.

So I'm sitting on the fence.

That said, I am not willing to do this: and from the trip report not sure it's required or the guy was just playing:

IMG_1537_zps405cee0d.jpg

Stupid line ^^ for any size tires. Dont let tire size intimidate, quoting another seasoned CSC member "It's the archer, not the arrow".
thumb.gif
Having had 37" I must concur.

UPDATE: Head count for the Rug road run:

So far it is Myself, LandCruiserPhil, mtKreitz, Rudster, SXWatson, and Packetstormin. Funner and GWCruiser - will you be joining us?

In order to guage the start time and where to meet for a caravan to the trailhead, whoever is planning on going please post or PM what part of town youre in.

If your on the list and decide you cant make it, let us know so we know who to look for next Sat AM.

thanks! :steer:

The wife and I are in at this point. Don't really know if we will want to camp though. The end of the month works great. What will the weather be like down there at that point?

Clear, sunny - a high of 88* and low of 58*

I'm not going to make it. My place of employment is having a party for a co-worker who recently got his US citizenship. It's Saturday afternoon... I'm bummed this is one ride I've really wanted to since getting my 80...

UPDATE: Head count for the Rug road run:

So far it is Myself, LandCruiserPhil, mtKreitz, Rudster, SXWatson, and Packetstormin. Funner and GWCruiser - will you be joining us?

In order to guage the start time and where to meet for a caravan to the trailhead, whoever is planning on going please post or PM what part of town youre in.

If your on the list and decide you cant make it, let us know so we know who to look for next Sat AM.

thanks! :steer:

Im in, you know where I live, and will show up anywhere and any time you decide.

I'm torn. Definitely want to go along and camp with the crew, but circumstances might not allow. I'll post up if I am going to make it. If not, have a great time, everyone!

Wildcat off-road recently did rug road with stock vehicles the most damage I saw was on a stock 2005 4runner, he chewed up his running boards. Just to give an idea. I'd almost do it with my fj60 since I'm getting my sliders this weekend but my stock suspension just has no forgiveness.

Looks like I will be in.
Murf- I live near PV can meet when where needed.

I am in - live off Alma School and 60. can meet when where needed

Wildcat off-road recently did rug road with stock vehicles the most damage I saw was on a stock 2005 4runner, he chewed up his running boards. Just to give an idea. I'd almost do it with my fj60 since I'm getting my sliders this weekend but my stock suspension just has no forgiveness.

Any photo links from the Wildcat trip?

Permitting required for this run?

Funner, not sure about the permit? Wilma do you know?

For the Mudders listed above,check your PM. Hopefully some others can join in > we will be meeting in Gold Canyon at 7:15, leaving no later than 7:30am.

Here>
Shell station in Gold Canyon
7138 E US Highway 60
Gold Canyon, AZ 85118

We look forward to the great camping spot Wilma! Feel free to PM if you need us to bring anything ~

Amused or other Tucsonians, We should reach the trailhead at 8:30-8:45-ish? if you want to meet us there - It would be good to wheel with you again Cayce, its been a long time. Hope you can make it

I will do my best! We can't camp by the water, but it's not too far off and the trees, cliffs, and occasional pack of turkey's make up for it.

Sounds great, we are just lucky you will be getting there early and saving a spot...thanks - we appreciate you setting this all up! Many of us will be first timers on the Rug Road and have been wanting to do it for years.

there was no permit required on the last CSC run on rug road - that was a few years ago, though

breezy, possible rain, slightly chilly (for AZ folks)...

PERFECT!

Mammoth , AZ weather: Saturday> 69* high., 45* low, 60% chance of precipitation

bring your rain fly and jacket

There is a chance I'll be going to the area tomorrow, maybe I'll catch you guys at the campsite or on your way out. Have a great day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom