April ROTM 2014 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The wife and I are in at this point. Don't really know if we will want to camp though. The end of the month works great. What will the weather be like down there at that point?

That's funny Murf - naw - not planning to collect insurance. Rather, I'm just wondering about the degree of AZ pin striping people are trying to describe for this run (I've read somewhere to expect more than usual). I'd hate to go through something that leaves scratches similar to running through a barbed wire fence, or tight corners with rock overhangs that do paint and panel damage. That type of wear and tear takes the fun out of doing a run.

And yeah; I have the wrong vehicle for real off roading - I need a clunker jeep.

or just carry a big lopper and cut the offending branches as you drive by - boy, the things the LX makes me do :rolleyes:

I may or may have some work interference with my own run.. but I'm still counting myself in at this point. I guess I just need to clarify which way people want to go. Through Wilcox is an easy dirt road. Rug Road will take a good 8 hours to complete and its pretty rugged. They both end up in the same awesome place. For those who have decided to come, what's the preference here?

If we do rug road I'd say we meet in mammoth, pick a gas station or at the trail head (intersection of copper creek road and river road)

Since you asked: I will be coming down Saturday am and would be interested in Rug Road (Always have wanted to). Im planning on staying over due to the distance and going home on Sunday. Think there will be a few coming from the valley?

Whatever you chose Wilma, its your run and we will enjoy whatever you want to do!

Last edited:
I plan on coming down either Friday night or Saturday morning and plan on camping.

Last edited:
Alright, here's my plan. I had a lift on order for my 60 but a few parts are back-ordered until early May. No rug road for me on my original suspension. I am going to leave Tucson about 12-1 on friday and head in the easy way through Wilcox to save a good camp spot for those that want to camp. I will be camping there both Friday and Saturday night with my 2 dogs.

Sorry to hear about the lift Wilma. Hey, can you post up directions where youll be camping? We're coming down Sat AM and will be staying over Sat PM.

Thanks!

I will be camped in one of the primitive campsites near the Turkey Creek Cliff Dwelling. All the campsites are near the road so I will be hard to miss. Directions from Wilcox:
Take ft grant rd northwest / north to Bonita.
Bonita to Bonita/Aravaipa Rd.
Take Aravaipa rd to Klondyke go through the town and stay on Klondyke rd
Klondyke rd will come to a fork, go left onto Aravaipa canal road towards the nature conservancy, stay on this road for about 8 miles and that should put you near the cliff dwellings at turkey creek. For those taking the rug road route you will pass right through turkey creek so you also shouldn't miss us.

http://www.experience-az.com/adventures/4wd/rugroad/rugroadGPS.html

This has directions and GPS coordinates for rug road but the last 5 in reverse should get you to me. The GPS coordinates are also helpful.

And the weather will be perfect!

The only two access points I know are rug road, from the south through Wilcox and Klondyke rd from the 70. I haven't ever tried from the north on that starlight or hawk canyon rd near the reservoir.

There is what I consider the "best" camp spot down there and I'm going to try for that one it's past the cliff dwelling (same Road) just a bit farther down. Cool cliff overhangs. So I will either be there or at the camp site right by the dwelling.
GPS coordinates for the other camp:

Decimal Degrees: 32 52.603, -110 26.209
UTM, NAD 83: 552659, 3637760

For those concerned about the brush and pinstripping on Rug Road; it is present in a few areas but certainly not anything damaging or any prolonged sections of brush. The trail itself is potentially far more damaging to the trucks than the mesquite trees and I'd recommend taking the trail description on the link above serious because its a long and rough road out there but one of the better 4wd routes in the state for its remoteness, challenge and scenic beauty.

For those concerned about the brush and pinstripping on Rug Road; it is present in a few areas but certainly not anything damaging or any prolonged sections of brush. The trail itself is potentially far more damaging to the trucks than the mesquite trees and I'd recommend taking the trail description on the link above serious because its a long and rough road out there but one of the better 4wd routes in the state for its remoteness, challenge and scenic beauty.

Have you been on the trail in your LC?

Alright, here's my plan. I had a lift on order for my 60 but a few parts are back-ordered until early May. No rug road for me on my original suspension. I am going to leave Tucson about 12-1 on friday and head in the easy way through Wilcox to save a good camp spot for those that want to camp. I will be camping there both Friday and Saturday night with my 2 dogs.

Wilma, Are your dogs OK with other dogs?

They are pretty good with most dogs. I have a lab and a French spaniel. They are a little rambunctious when they meet new people so all are warned! Haha

I don't think I am the only one that is possibly confused about this trip and the route/routes folks are taking. I would like to go and stay overnight Saturday. That said, I don't run very big tires and I also don't have lockers. Combine those two facts along with not wanting to rearrange the sheet metal on my truck and I am thinking I will need to avoid rug road. SOOOOOOOOOO, who is going that will need/want to avoid that route?

I will be camped in one of the primitive campsites near the Turkey Creek Cliff Dwelling. All the campsites are near the road so I will be hard to miss. For those taking the rug road route you will pass right through turkey creek so you also shouldn't miss us.

Looking forward to it! It looks like there will be several people leaving Sat AM from Phoenix, running the Rug Road, and then meeting up with Wilma and others at the Turkey Creek campground. A few of us will be able to cross this off the "wheeling bucket list". :steer:

Caravan for the Phoenix members who are going?

Next week I can post up a time and place to meet (early) on Saturday AM. We will be taking the I-10 to Superior and dropping down the 177. It should take only 2 hours to get to the trailhead in Mammoth from the North 101. Thanks Wilma83 for the links to the trail. We will be using them :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom