Anyone use this Head Unit? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone have experience with this head unit? Or know if it will work in my 95' HDJ81?

Cheers!
Andrew,

According to the site it fits a double DIN opening but I would measure the coverage area of the screen and see what it interferes with. The screen is larger than a double DIN (254mm x 153mm) and protrudes from the face of the double DIN mounting by 15mm. Now that you have those measurements you can check fitment in your truck.

Andrew,

According to the site it fits a double DIN opening but I would measure the coverage area of the screen and see what it interferes with. The screen is larger than a double DIN (254mm x 153mm) and protrudes from the face of the double DIN mounting by 15mm. Now that you have those measurements you can check fitment in your truck.
Ahh yes I'll have to do that. Is all double DIN fitment universal? In other words, are double DIN slots the same dimensions in most cars?

don't do it. its annoying to remove, you'll have to fab your own mount so it sticks out more and you're able to reach some buttons, the sliding ashtray becomes useless. just get a normal 2 din, I had it a year, didn't use it half as much as i thought i would. just my 0.02$

I bought one of these but haven’t installed it yet. Wanted apple carplay and a cb drive.
The listing says open box but looks new to me. Bought a second one for my 2004 Camry that I will be driving for work soon.

Ahh yes I'll have to do that. Is all double DIN fitment universal? In other words, are double DIN slots the same dimensions in most cars?
Yes double DIN is double DIN but like in this example you have to look at the big picture. When my head unit finally gave up I looked at a couple option for double DIN with bigger (adjustable) screens but like @joxeale said I didn't like the issue with covering certain buttons.

One thing that I am very interested in is the ability to monitor engine functions that some of the newer units have but since I am OBD-1 that is not an option. Whenever I finally get to engine swap I am considering changing the head unit to monitor engine vitals instead of getting a scangauge-II.

For some reason I have a Problem with volume knobs. My wife’s gx470 and my company car a 2021 optima jumps all over the place volume wise when I turn the knob.

I can also influence my I-phone with out touching it.

I don’t mind pushing a button

Yes double DIN is double DIN but like in this example you have to look at the big picture. When my head unit finally gave up I looked at a couple option for double DIN with bigger (adjustable) screens but like @joxeale said I didn't like the issue with covering certain buttons.

One thing that I am very interested in is the ability to monitor engine functions that some of the newer units have but since I am OBD-1 that is not an option. Whenever I finally get to engine swap I am considering changing the head unit to monitor engine vitals instead of getting a scangauge-II.
What feature is required for a head unit to be able to monitor engine functions?

You can get mounting kits for RH Landcruiser to dbl DIN - though they may be hard to find. Might try EBay. You would also have to check for dash interference with that large screen.

FWIW I use a RAM mount system and a tablet for all my GPS and music needs - plugged into a media receiver head unit. Probably can display engine data if you had a OBD2 port and dongle.

What feature is required for a head unit to be able to monitor engine functions?
Some of the units will have an OBD-II link. As for the exact functions that will vary on your unit and what the vehicle makes available through the OBD-II port. I have not extensively researched because at this time it is not applicable to my truck (until I do an LS swap).

You can get mounting kits for RH Landcruiser to dbl DIN - though they may be hard to find. Might try EBay. You would also have to check for dash interference with that large screen.

FWIW I use a RAM mount system and a tablet for all my GPS and music needs - plugged into a media receiver head unit. Probably can display engine data if you had a OBD2 port and dongle.
Yeah I have a ram mount for my Ipad but rarely use it. I want to do a whole sound system upgrade too and it'd be nice to have NAV and music all in the same place. Also my current head unit is old and japanese and I cant understand it😅

Double din are all the same size but lately manufacturers have been making screens much larger that sit further out. So a standard double din size is about 7”, but that link you shared the box that installs in the dash is 7” but the screen is 10” so you’d have to measure around the stereo opening and see what it would be blocking. Hard to say if it would fit.

I just bought a standard double din with CarPlay:

I personally would stick to a non Chinese manufacturer like Pioneer, Sony or Alpine. Lots of good stereos for under $500.

Double din are all the same size but lately manufacturers have been making screens much larger that sit further out. So a standard double din size is about 7”, but that link you shared the box that installs in the dash is 7” but the screen is 10” so you’d have to measure around the stereo opening and see what it would be blocking. Hard to say if it would fit.

I just bought a standard double din with CarPlay:

I personally would stick to a non Chinese manufacturer like Pioneer, Sony or Alpine. Lots of good stereos for under $500.
Good info, thanks!

Yeah I have a ram mount for my Ipad but rarely use it. I want to do a whole sound system upgrade too and it'd be nice to have NAV and music all in the same place. Also my current head unit is old and japanese and I cant understand it😅
If you have the JDM head unit it won't use the same FM bandwidth as our NA market. Mine also came with a Sony remote - just in case you need to operate it from the backseat I guess.

I installed a Joying 7" in my cruiser in 2015.

Installing a Joying 7" Android Head Unit in an 80 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/installing-a-joying-7-android-head-unit-in-an-80.881951/

It's been OK, but sometimes when starting up it just goes to a blank screen that requires a reset. My unit has a 'reset' button that you can press with a pen or a paper clip. That blank screen startup issue got worse over time. The radio Tuner was always a joke, had no ability to pick up any stations even though the antenna was connected. Lately it started throwing odd UID errors and refusing to boot or work at all. I got 5 OK years from it, but the last two have been nearly very poor and now it's time to replace because it's basically become a doorstop. You get no software updates, the audio quality is poor and it isn't very reliable.

You should check out the ATOTO android head units. I have been really happy with mine. Much better than the joying and other android units I have had in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom