Anyone recommend a starter? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I still have the original starter on my 1981 US spec FJ40 and after trying to turn the truck over the past few months, it does start to bog down and struggle and feels like it’s on its way out. Therefore I’m looking for a “newer tech” gear reduction starter. I just need more “ooomph”!

Can anyone recommend one?

@ToyotaMatt maybe you have some insight or something in your stock?

image.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just purchased a gear reduction for an FJ60 from the dealer, IIRC $150 after the core charge.

Special thank you to the OP, this thread got me off my ass and into the garage. New starter installed along with new cables from @Fourrunner This starter is a significant upgrade from my old direct drive unit, very easy cold start.

Special thank you to the OP, this thread got me off my ass and into the garage. New starter installed along with new cables from @Fourrunner This starter is a significant upgrade from my old direct drive unit, very easy cold start.
Which starter did you go with? And what cables were needed (assume longer cables due to starter having power terminal further back or shorter body style vs oem)

Which starter did you go with? And what cables were needed (assume longer cables due to starter having power terminal further back or shorter body style vs oem)
77mustard mentioned above that he got a gear reduction for a 60 from the dealer and @Fourrunner cables.

I have the same and it’s crazy how quick the truck starts and how much lighter the part is. Send fourrunner a message, his cables are no joke and he knows what length you need depending on your application.

I’m with ya, oem reman is great and an easy resolution….but I actually prefer direct drive after using the gear reduction.
Curious why you prefer direct drive?

Here’s the part # for the starter, it was a touch over $150 which included a $60 core charge. For the cables you can see if what you have will work or reach out to @Fourrunner regarding his cables, they are handmade to order and super beefy. I have them on the 80 and am just as pleased with the ones he sent for the 40.

IMG_2305.jpeg

IMG_2306.jpeg

Last edited:
One more thing, if you go with the cables you will want milspec terminals and will need to crimp on a higher quality lead to your fusible link to make the battery connection (or at least I did with my 77). The spade connection to the starter should be plug and play with your 81, I crimped a new one on as mine was in poor shape. The spade connection to the starter can be purchased from @Coolerman if you want OEM quality and need to replace it.

I went with the RMAN gear reduction starter and @Fourrunner cables - works and looks great. I dropped my old starter off at the local shop for TLC and it is rehabbed and on the shelf waiting for that day to get back into action. I'm a bit Klingon, for you Star Trek fans, like having redundant systems.

Got my RMAN from Toyota directly on a parts sale they were having.

I’m with ya, oem reman is great and an easy resolution….but I actually prefer direct drive after using the gear reduction.
Same.
Ive found that mine fires quicker with the dd, probably due to the dd spinning it faster than gr.

Thanks everyone.....I am ready to pull this one out. I reached out to @ToyotaMatt for now, but will look into all the great suggestions here. Some more pics of how old this one is (and sluggish).

IMG_4818.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

My original starter went bad so I installed gear reduction it worked fine but I did not like the sound of the gear drive. I had the original rebuilt and I reinstalled. I just like the sound of the original direct drive. So the new gear drive is on the shelf if I need it again for emergency use.

Your starter will last much longer if you take it apart and clean/lube it every once in a while. Clean the commutator and check the brushes/springs. Use heavy duty cables to supply the amps and keep the terminals clean. Block heater are nice for winter places.

I’d be curious which one holds up better to sustained cranking to move the vehicle. Anyone compare the two?

Doesn’t really matter for me personally since gear reduction starters don’t fit with my SBC conversion. Instead I have a high torque direct drive starter with a cast iron nose cone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom