Anyone recommend a starter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Same.
Ive found that mine fires quicker with the dd, probably due to the dd spinning it faster than gr.
Probably fires quicker with the old starter because the old starter bypasses the ballast resistor during cranking giving you a hotter spark. If you wired a relay to bypass the resistor with the gear reduction starter, you'd be amazed.

Another vote for Toyota gear reduction starter. Just installed one on my 1978 with @ToyotaMatt plug and play kit. Already had @Fourrunner cables.
Tried ordering same thing from Matt, but could never get a response from him....I know he is a one man shop, but I gotta get one installed soon.

This surprised me.

I thought a 1981 US-spec FJ40 would surely take a GR starter, but looks like (according to EPC) only started with the 60070 GR in 6/82

The 60042 (super'd to 60090) seems to be available, if you want to stay with that DD unit, but honestly, the 28100-60070-84 is cheaper and a great starter.

Tried ordering same thing from Matt, but could never get a response from him....I know he is a one man shop, but I gotta get one installed soon.

I keep the OEM toyota Gear Reduction starter in-stock , and it comes with all the needed and desired install hardware and updated electrical pigtail you want to install no matter what , but if your updating from the old skool load of bread 🥖 outdated style like in post # 1 , you will need to install my included 10ga black w/ white tracer stripe locking latching connector housing because it’s extra length is now needed to reach the now different and further away gear reduction HYBRID connector port my OEM connector housing equipped pigtail is designed to plug into .

Not to mention all the mounting hardware to for a fresh solid electrical connection

59E1FB48-F582-4A4B-93FB-457C2A708FE3.jpeg

As far as battery cables , terminals and the needed CABLE BOND No. 1 for the gear reduction starter update / upgrade …

- all primary cables are made with ANCHOR marine 2 AWG marine grade tinned find strands for max electric ⚡️ amps

- the rest is hand assembled using toyota service parts in-house and adhesive lined heat shrunk with Anchor Marine as well .

- I install the later model FJ62 additional layer of corrugated loom to all B+ cables , simply put there armor plated and heavy duty tough as nails ..,

CBFC664A-E62C-4E9D-ABAF-D8F090B0DCD1.jpeg
46CF5ED8-F948-4DF2-AAE7-CA35AF7C952E.jpeg
5C6770C7-FCE5-428A-B5EB-9F03FC772F03.jpeg
9B2EAA63-1495-434D-B09C-E8BAEB04E664.jpeg
31D93483-AA22-4ED8-9C62-98B38DA22A83.jpeg

Last edited:
This surprised me.

I thought a 1981 US-spec FJ40 would surely take a GR starter, but looks like (according to EPC) only started with the 60070 GR in 6/82

'81 FJ60 had the non-GR starter.

Back in the late 70's I bought a 4 pol GM starter from Man a Free. For the next ten years that starter worked great. Last time I used it was when the engine blew 100 miles east of Indio and I used it to pull my FJ40 and a loaded 16 foot travel trailer off I-10 a half mile up a slight incline. Just reminiscing.

Just wrapping up this thread here and wanted to give big thanks to @77mustard40 for helping answer small questions throughout the install of one banana for another smaller and lighter one. All I can say is what a huge difference this RG starter made for me in terms of starting power. Just really impressive....so working with @Fourrunner on getting some super nice 12/GND leads to finish off the install. Install was all of 40 mins and will take my time with the new leads to tidy up the wiring and routing - including reinstalling a ground lead on the block as well.

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4891.jpg

IMG_4892.jpg

IMG_4894.jpg

IMG_4902.jpg

Back in the late 70's I bought a 4 pol GM starter from Man a Free. For the next ten years that starter worked great. Last time I used it was when the engine blew 100 miles east of Indio and I used it to pull my FJ40 and a loaded 16 foot travel trailer off I-10 a half mile up a slight incline. Just reminiscing.
Reminds me of my father moving his inop vw bus all over the place on starter power when I was a kid. lol

Just wrapping up this thread here and wanted to give big thanks to @77mustard40 for helping answer small questions throughout the install of one banana for another smaller and lighter one. All I can say is what a huge difference this RG starter made for me in terms of starting power. Just really impressive....so working with @Fourrunner on getting some super nice 12/GND leads to finish off the install. Install was all of 40 mins and will take my time with the new leads to tidy up the wiring and routing - including reinstalling a ground lead on the block as well.

View attachment 3539132

View attachment 3539133

View attachment 3539134

View attachment 3539135

View attachment 3539136
Where’d you end up getting your starter?
Looks good :cheers:

Where’d you end up getting your starter?
Looks good :cheers:
A little shop out east called Toyota…actually Ourisman Toyota in VA (used to be McGeorge). Placed order on a Monday and had it by Thursday.

A little shop out east called Toyota…actually Ourisman Toyota in VA (used to be McGeorge). Placed order on a Monday and had it by Thursday.
There’s a Toyota dealership less than 5 miles from me but I get parts cheaper (even with shipping) from McGeorge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom