Anyone recognize this not transfer case sound (FJ62)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got an odd squeal the hotter my transfer-case/Transmission gets. When it starts, its usually in a drive gear (f/r/123)
Changed my gear oil. Transmission fluid looks good. Sounds like its coming out of the lowest point in the t-case. Video shows it at its worst.

When the vehicle isn't moving, nothing inside the transfer case is spinning.
Ok so that should rule out the transfer case then correct? Perhaps its in the Tranny but I'm just hearing it close enough to the transfer. Some sort of idler gear? Damn. My transmission could be overfilled btw. Iron pig overfilled the **** out of it. Unless its supposed to be above hot by a lot.

Last edited:
They said it was underfilled, took their word for it. Drove for an hour today, then it sat for maybe 2:
1631040329195.png

To me that sounds like an idler pully or your smog pump about seize up. Look for wobbly pulley definitely sounds like something
to do with a belt or pulley to me.
:beer: ✌️

The transmission should be checked with the engine running, transmission oil hot (good and hot, ideally), trans. in Park, after running it through the gears. That is the only accurate way to check transmission fluid and is described that way in the owner's manual.

Assuming that the end of the stick is to the left, you are way overfull (edit: and assuming you've done what SteveH said above). I've heard that the A440 does not like to be over capacity, and in fact in the FSM, there's a line in bold type that says DO NOT OVERFILL.

Ok, so for sure not emanating from any pully (I wish)

Went on a proper drive, shifted through all the gears, seemed hot, wiped it, inserted, pulled:
1631044578982.png
That's gotta be too much right? (its above the word dextron)

Tran pan was like 190:
1631044660018.png

beer was slightly warm:
1631044693886.png

Should I let out a bit and see?

Last edited:
My 1000 dollar Cruiser is turning into a 10000 dollar one...
As they all do.... paid $4,500 for mine. I stopped counting the receipts after around $5,000 in parts. It’s irrational on so many levels, but it makes total sense to most of us. Don’t feel bad. Get a 5 speed and put some 33” tires on your rims with a 2.5” lift and you’ll be happy you did. Until they stop making gasoline...🙄

As they all do.... paid $4,500 for mine. I stopped counting the receipts after around $5,000 in parts. It’s irrational on so many levels, but it makes total sense to most of us. Don’t feel bad. Get a 5 speed and put some 33” tires on your rims with a 2.5” lift and you’ll be happy you did. Until they stop making gasoline...🙄
Its my... 4th land cruiser so... I get the irrationality.

The noise isn't the transfer case if you're in park and stopped. Additionally, when in park, most of the transmission isn't spinning either. Does it make the noise in drive while stopped? If it makes the noise in "Drive" while at a stop - it likely isn't the transmission as the only thing spinning when stopped in drive is the torque converter and transmission pump. Notice how the noise continued for a long while after the engine shut down? Well the torque converter and pump are driven directly from the engine - so they stop as soon as the engine does. Anything else that's still spinning in the transmission is going to stop very quickly after shut down.

The other thing to notice with the noise is that it doesn't change pitch when you shut the vehicle off. So it doesn't seem like a shaft that is slowing down. It just continues on at its normal frequency, then suddenly stops.

My vote is a loose piece of metal vibrating against something else, or maybe a coolant/vacuum leak creating a whistle.

The noise isn't the transfer case if you're in ark and stopped. Additionally, when in park, most of the transmission isn't spinning either. Does it make the noise in drive while stopped? If it makes the noise in "Drive" while at a stop - it likely isn't the transmission as the only thing spinning when stopped in drive is the torque converter and transmission pump. Notice how the noise continued for a long while after the engine shut down? Well the torque converter and pump are driven directly from the engine - so they stop as soon as the engine does. Anything else that's still spinning in the transmission is going to stop very quickly after shut down.

The other thing to notice with the noise is that it doesn't change pitch when you shut the vehicle off. So it doesn't seem like a shaft that is slowing down. It just continues on at its normal frequency, then suddenly stops.

My vote is a loose piece of metal vibrating against something else, or maybe a coolant/vacuum leak creating a whistle.
Man I hope you're right. This is good becuase it makes sense, I don't have the knowledge on how some of these parts work, like now that I know a lot of these parts aren't even moving when this sound is occurring it actually makes me feel a bit better. It does have a "tea-kettle" quality almost. Its 100 percent near the transfer/trans case though, so that gives me starting spot.

Slightly related, is there supposed to be something here?
1631064358570.png

Pilot Bearing?

The way that it continues after the engine stops leads me to the torque converter or something on the trans input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom