Anyone go from a 200 back to a 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I picked up clean 2005 back in 2020. It took me over a year to find one and it's not perfect. I've put over 10k in it baselining most major systems. I thought I needed a newer vehicle to travel with the family so I picked up a 2019 LC and dumped around 8k in it. Dobinsons IMS, wheels/tires, etc... I loved the leather, stereo, power. I disliked the brakes. After a couple months, I seemed to always go back to my 100. I was really confused as to why I could/should feel that way because it's clear the 200 is superior right? lol At the end of the day, it was personal preference to me and I won't lie, the financial part did play into this because we were talking 80k vs 20k. I sold the 200.

The 100 is one of my favorite cars of all time and I've owned a bunch. I still THINK I need something newer/more reliable for those family trips...but in today's world I don't believe newer=reliable. I have back issues and the seats in the newer LX570 are pretty awesome so I still look at those.

Good luck with your decision! We will be traveling to the Blowing Rock area next month.

I’ve owned both as well. I had a 100, then sold it and got a 200. The reason was the paint on mine was pretty bad, the stereo didn’t really work and there was wind noise coming from a window I couldn’t figure out.

All that said, I loved my 100, while I really like my 200. If I had a buttoned up 100 I would prefer it.

The 200 is a bit too big, a bit too nice. The windows are too high and it kills visibility. It’s just very much a modern car, while the 100s are like a from from the 90s. It’s much more charming.

That’s a lot of effort to still have torsion bars at the end of the day.

SAS + 3UR swap…. Maybe.

If more extreme off roading is your thing then the 100 obviously isn’t the best choice. For my uses though, it’s perfect- the driver is more of a limitation than the torsion bars.

There’s a 5th gen T4R out there that’s been SAS’d with a blown 3UR. Makes me think the motor swap alone is possible in a 100.

I was comparing a VVTI 100 series versus a pre-2016 200 series, the power feels close enough. During steep climb, I do need to downshift the 100 to 4th gear, but was able to keep up with traffic with no problem. But an early 100 series (4speed) vs. a 2016+ 200 series (8speed), I'm sure the difference is more significant.
There is a significant 'seat of the pants' power difference between my 1999 and 2016, especially when at elevation. I have to plan passes on two lane roads with the '99 whereas I know the '16 can hit triple digit speeds without much sweat. But is that really what a Land Cruiser is supposed to be known for? That said, I really, really, hate the 8 speed in the '16. That transmission doesn't ever know what gear it wants to be in. At low speeds/load it is not predictable and can be clunky. At least I can manipulate the 4 speed in the '99 so it does exact what I want. I have always had and preferred a manual transmission vehicle, maybe that has manipulated my perception of how a 'good' modern automatic should operate.

Last edited:
I don’t own a 5.7 but my uncles 2012 tundra? Never left him stranded and he’s about 140k, SAIP gave him problems a few years back and the local dealer fixed it under warrenty past his mileage.

He can wrench if needed but typically doesnt. Not sure if his 5.7 has any of the “leaks”, those were why I picked a 4.7 mostly. Valley plate, cam towers, spark plug tubes, etc.

Don’t tow, prefer 100 over 200, less tech. When we replace the wife’s 4R I’m hoping I can get her in a 200, LC or LX doesn’t matter. Both 100/200 are way better than any other suv can’t really lose picking either.

but in today's world I don't believe newer=reliable.
Agreed, until it’s proven to go 200k those car awards for reliability and such are a joke imo. 2UZ and 3URs have proven this.
I really, really, hate the 8 speed
Hate the 8 speed in my GMC.

the 200 series is my least favorite modern Land Cruiser to drive

100 - 200 - 300

best to drive by far

2nd favorite

least favorite

this is based just on driving appeal not on any other factor.
They are all awesome and everyone's opinion will vary. Some like the heavy driving feel of the 200, I prefer the more nimble feel of the 300 ( followed by 100 ).

I also believe in stock form the 100 looks best out of the bunch, but once they get mods they all look awesome.

The 100 series is also the most timeless Land Cruiser design to date ( my personal opinion) . It has aged much better than the older ones and for someone who isn't a car guy, no one will guess the oldest 100 is a 25 year old car. The clean lines and green house still looks pretty modern today.

I could totally go back from a 200 to a 100 even it meant selling the 200 for the 100, but selling a 300 for a 200/100 - no way.

Last edited:
Owned both, still own the 570. I have no idea where the 100-is-better logic comes from unless it's already owned and paid for.

The 570 felt bigger at first, mostly because of the extra room inside. Floaty? Push that AHC into sport or mid. Sorry, LC ppl. Same power? You aren't using the skinny pedal. The 200 outright embarrasses any of the 100s...and I'm on 35s without re-gearing. Perk: the 5.7 sounds awesome while pulling hard - and I still I have OE exhaust.

The 100's A343 trans is reliable as a hammer, but leaves the 4.7 feeling sluggish...the A750 is a hearty improvement (this is in my 60 and I outright love it)... but the AB60 in the 200 is where it's at - ratios and calibrations are bang on for the 5.7 and it's smooth in any driving condition.

Bought the 200 as our 1st kid was on the way and nothing I owned had airbags. The 200 is on another level regarding safety gear and body construction.

Off-road software leaves the 100 behind in a hurry. ATRAC is nice, but it has limits as it's touchy about requiring you to stay in the op range. Crawl takes over and just works...you get to control the speed with the switch. In the 200 I never make funny faces about seeing ANOTHER front diff failure or having to wonder if the wandering steering is from ANOTHER set of failed rack bushes.

The only cons I have: it's obvious the truck was designed for the 5.7 to fit just-so, and repairs will be a pain, then again, it's only needed a belt and oil changes... I can see the gripe about the infotainment...although I leave the screen off 100% of the time and drive music through my phone.

I have zero thoughts of moving from 200 to 100. Ever.

I think the main issue some people have with 100 vs 200 is back in the early days of the 200 when the 100s were still fresh and well maintained and relatively new, regardless of the engine, they still drove amazingly well ( and the well maintained one still do ). So that mixed with nostalgia of owning something for a while certainly made people put the 100 in very high regard. You can even check out some old threads about a lot of people commenting how the 100 felt more refined in some aspects.

I also preferred the lighter steering of the 100, I feel the heavy steering of the 200 really made it feel bigger than it actually is ( not really much bigger than a 100 in reality just a tiny bit ) and I preferred the seats of the 100. On the road the rear end of the 100 also feels less jittery.

The 200 feels more solid off road, lets rattles, and the suspension/frame is very very tough with the front end being stronger as well
The 5.7 is a legend because it is still powerful by modern standards while maintaining the old school Toyota reliability. The 2uz is insanely reliable but obviously nowhere near as powerful.

The fact you also can find cleaner 200s on average since it is newer is also another big plus with longer spare parts availability for the next 10/20 years easily.

The 300 basically is all of the above but better combined into one package and better off road but minus the split tailgate.

The same scenario will apply 300 vs 200. Some will prefer the heavier cumbersome feel of the 200 vs the more athletic 300.

Last edited:
I can’t even afford to test drive a 200 , so I think the 100 being more affordable is still the 1st choice for “average” people like me .. I don’t think I could afford a low mileage 200 AND build it out .

I can’t even afford to test drive a 200 , so I think the 100 being more affordable is still the 1st choice for “average” people like me .. I don’t think I could afford a low mileage 200 AND build it out .

Skip the low mileage part and enjoy one. I did/am.

I think the main issue some people have with 100 vs 200 is back in the early days of the 200 when the 100s were still fresh and well maintained and relatively new, regardless of the engine, they still drove amazingly well ( and the well maintained one still do ). So that mixed with nostalgia of owning something for a while certainly made people put the 100 in very high regard. You can even check out some old threads about a lot of people commenting how the 100 felt more refined in some aspects.

I also preferred the lighter steering of the 100, I feel the heavy steering of the 200 really made it feel bigger than it actually is ( not really much bigger than a 100 in reality just a tiny bit ) and I preferred the seats of the 100. On the road the rear end of the 100 also feels less jittery.

The 200 feels more solid off road, lets rattles, and the suspension/frame is very very tough with the front end being stronger as well
The 5.7 is a legend because it is still powerful by modern standards while maintaining the old school Toyota reliability. The 2uz is insanely reliable but obviously nowhere near as powerful.

The fact you also can find cleaner 200s on average since it is newer is also another big plus with longer spare parts availability for the next 10/20 years easily.

The 300 basically is all of the above but better combined into one package and better off road but minus the split tailgate.

The same scenario will apply 300 vs 200. Some will prefer the heavier cumbersome feel of the 200 vs the more athletic 300.
Wait, what? The 200 has a heavier steering feel? (Asking, never driven one.)

If we're throwing out opinions, I'd say the steering is more balanced. Yes, it's weighted, but it's less twitchy and has more road feel. Again, 200 ftw.

If we're throwing out opinions, I'd say the steering is more balanced. Yes, it's weighted, but it's less twitchy and has more road feel. Again, 200 ftw.
I can confirm, yes heavier but less twitchy and less kickback off road.

None of my 100s have VGRS so not sure how that would compare but I found the steering on the 2003 + 100s to be lighter, even on the vehicles without VGRS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom