anybody removed the valve on a propane tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Small portable tank. Valve is brass. Not much at all to grab on, between obstructed tiny flats, a round outlet in the way and the surrounding protective ring.
Would rather remove valve without destroying it if possible at all.
It sure looks like it's tight in there from preliminary attempts. Looks like they may also have put some sealant but not sure. Was likely screwed in with some special tool I'm guessing.
Yes, the notion of heating up the neck came to mind, but it had at some point propane in there. Empty now, but still... If it comes to that, maybe I could blow air in upside down and/or fill up the tank with water first. But I don't think I even want to go there for now.

So, if you managed to remove a valve like that without ruining it, may I ask how you did it?

Last edited:
I have no wisdom on how to do this, but you have me super curious as to why you want to do this. :D

-Daniel

Well actually a monkey wrench comes to mind, but that would leave marks.

I have no wisdom on how to do this, but you have me super curious as to why you want to do this. :D

-Daniel

Well actually a monkey wrench comes to mind, but that would leave marks.

How could I not? it's been staring at me for years now. :D

More like chewing it up probably, and that's if I can even put one on, not obvious with the protection ring around it.

I'm thinking these things are put on with a hardening sealant, otherwise they'd have trouble orienting them properly.

I did this once.

I'm pretty sure I used a pipe wrench.

The reason I did it was because with the valve removed, it is just another hunk of steel and can be put out with the recyclables.

How could I not? it's been staring at me for years now. :D

More like chewing it up probably, and that's if I can even put one on, not obvious with the protection ring around it.

I'm thinking these things are put on with a hardening sealant, otherwise they'd have trouble orienting them properly.

Too true.

Your likely right.

I agree.

:D -Daniel

I did this once.

I'm pretty sure I used a pipe wrench.

The reason I did it was because with the valve removed, it is just another hunk of steel and can be put out with the recyclables.

2X I have done the many times. Be sure the tank is empty... Just opening the top valve does not vent the cylinder in all cases. Some propane cylinders valves have a spring loaded safety. A feed line has to be attached and the valve turned open to empty.

Any reason not to trade in the crap tank in on a new tank from a company like blue rhino for free?

2X I have done the many times. Be sure the tank is empty... Just opening the top valve does not vent the cylinder in all cases. Some propane cylinders valves have a spring loaded safety. A feed line has to be attached and the valve turned open to empty.

Any reason not to trade in the crap tank in on a new tank from a company like blue rhino for free?

so you've used pipe wrenches too? How did you keep it from spinning?
thanks for the reminder, an important one, but, yes, I'm aware of that.
No, the reason I want to do this is that it's a 1/2 size tank that is just perfect for camping when I don't need the bigger 20lbs. But are you saying they would take in just about anything? That could come in handy.
And no, no welding plans for that one.

This is what I do for 5 gallon/20 liter cylinders. This type.

Set the pipe wrench (really big one 2' handle) on the back of the valve, opposite the threaded inlet. You can use a open ended wrench but they are a bit too short.

It might be offset with the cylinder valve guard. Have another guy hold the tank on it's side on the ground or place a long pipe throught the valve guard ( not the best way guard tends to bend on cheap cylinders and get in the way of the wrench. Turn the wrench counter clockwise. Done.

Just saw the link for the bead seater. Are you planning on welding on the 2" fitting to the tank?

Easier, something like this....

Impressive! I like it. I might just build one for lawn tractor tires. Using a ratchet strap is a PITA.

Or starting fluid and a match.:D

Anybody done this? I have a half full tank where the valve is stuck closed and which stripped out the knob. It is also out of date. Would love to just trade it in and not worry about what to do with the half full tank after buying a new one.

Anybody done this? I have a half full tank where the valve is stuck closed and which stripped out the knob. It is also out of date. Would love to just trade it in and not worry about what to do with the half full tank after buying a new one.

Perfect setup. Small kindling fire a foot or two away from the tank, M4 rifle from fifty yards (your distance may vary), shoot, then this:

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/burlingmd/Public/?action=view&current=propane2.mp4

Most hardware stores have tank exchange programs. If you don't want another tank you can take to one of the facilities listed here:
http://www.egtrashrecycleservices.org/hh-waste.asp

Elk Grove is currently building a household hazardous waste collection facility out on Grant Line Rd. It should be done by the spring. You'll be able to take it and other chemical wastes there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom