Any issues mounting T/A KO2 on stock wheels & no lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! I am a newbie and look forward to learning from y'all. Just bought a 2011 LC, I am pumped!! Unfortunately it came with street tires. I have the T/A KO2 on my 4runner and I love them. Forgive a stupid question, can I mount some T/A KO2 285/60R 18s on the stock rims without lifting or spacing?
Thanks in advance for your help!!

Hey everyone! I am a newbie and look forward to learning from y'all. Just bought a 2011 LC, I am pumped!! Unfortunately it came with street tires. I have the T/A KO2 on my 4runner and I love them. Forgive a stupid question, can I mount some T/A KO2 285/60R 18s on the stock rims without lifting or spacing?
Thanks in advance for your help!!

That will fit fine on stock rims and without any lift or spacer. But you can also go with the slightly larger 285/65 18 K02 on the stock wheels and suspension. That is what I'm running, and a lot of other folks here. See this thread: 200 Series Tire and Wheel Size Database

Last edited:
FYI, the 285/65 18 has a slightly larger diameter than stock. As a result, when my speedometer reads 65 mph, I'm closer to 66 mph by GPS. That difference doesn't bother me.

FYI, the 285/65 18 has a slightly larger diameter than stock. As a result, when my speedometer reads 65 mph, I'm closer to 66 mph by GPS. That difference doesn't bother me.
I'm curious, since those tires have an E load rating, are they harsh or just firmer? Are they good in the snow? We've got 4- 5 months of snow!!

I'm curious, since those tires have an E load rating, are they harsh or just firmer? Are they good in the snow? We've got 4- 5 months of snow!!

I've only had mine for a few weeks. I'm running them at about 40 psi, but I should up that to 42 psi, per Gaijin here on mud. No, they aren't harsh compared to the highway tires that they replaced; they ride quite well. They seem to be less harsh over potholes and the like. They are slightly noisier at highway speeds -- it is noticeable, but not in any way objectionable. I have lost about 1 mpg with these tires.

I've only had them out in snow once. They were better than the all season tires that they replaced. That said, they are still basically brand new and snow performance seems to degrade quickly as tires wear. So we will see how well they do next year with another 10-15k on them.

They are probably not as good in snow as a dedicated snow tire like Nokian Hakkepelittas or Bridgestone Blizzaks. If you get a lot of ice, then I would consider getting a second set of tires and go with dedicated snow tires in the winter. Real snow tires have a lot of sipes that help on ice. The K02s don't have a lot of sipes.

I've only had mine for a few weeks. I'm running them at about 40 psi, but I should up that to 42 psi, per Gaijin here on mud. No, they aren't harsh compared to the highway tires that they replaced; they ride quite well. They seem to be less harsh over potholes and the like. They are slightly noisier at highway speeds -- it is noticeable, but not in any way objectionable. I have lost about 1 mpg with these tires.

I've only had them out in snow once. They were better than the all season tires that they replaced. That said, they are still basically brand new and snow performance seems to degrade quickly as tires wear. So we will see how well they do next year with another 10-15k on them.

They are probably not as good in snow as a dedicated snow tire like Nokian Hakkepelittas or Bridgestone Blizzaks. If you get a lot of ice, then I would consider getting a second set of tires and go with dedicated snow tires in the winter. Real snow tires have a lot of sipes that help on ice. The K02s don't have a lot of sipes.
Thanks for the information! I image noise will not be an issue as I am stepping up from my 4runner with absolutely 0 sound insulation. Appreciate your advice.

So I can echo everything M1911 said. Good info in the tire database.

I have run the 285/65 R18s since one week after I bought my 2016 model in August. I already have 13K on them! No issues aside from Discount Tire not knowing how to balance Toyota wheels (make sure they use what they call a "finger plate". These are heavy tires and Toyota wheels need special attention anyway. Once theyn got it right everything was great. E-rated may be a bit stiff but coming from a 4R you won't notice. Do you already have 285/60 R18s from your 4R? Those certanily work as well but if you are getting new ones you can move to the 32" 65's. I drove mine through the Escalante and Moab this past week after spending a week in Sedona.

That said, when it comes to ice and snow I prefer a dedicated snow tire. So I just switched over to the Hakkepelittas as I'll be doing a road trip through the mountains of Wyoming, Montana, Washington and Oregon. I'll switch back in mid-April. For the Hakka's I have the 285/60 R18s as they don't make a 65.

So I can echo everything M1911 said. Good info in the tire database.

I have run the 285/65 R18s since one week after I bought my 2016 model in August. I already have 13K on them! No issues aside from Discount Tire not knowing how to balance Toyota wheels (make sure they use what they call a "finger plate". These are heavy tires and Toyota wheels need special attention anyway. Once theyn got it right everything was great. E-rated may be a bit stiff but coming from a 4R you won't notice. Do you already have 285/60 R18s from your 4R? Those certanily work as well but if you are getting new ones you can move to the 32" 65's. I drove mine through the Escalante and Moab this past week after spending a week in Sedona.

That said, when it comes to ice and snow I prefer a dedicated snow tire. So I just switched over to the Hakkepelittas as I'll be doing a road trip through the mountains of Wyoming, Montana, Washington and Oregon. I'll switch back in mid-April. For the Hakka's I have the 285/60 R18s as they don't make a 65.
Sounds like a killer trip! I'll remember to ask about the finger plate, thanks. The 4runner had a small lift and 275/70 R17s. Sold that car. I'm in Monument. We get more snow/ice than COS since we are at 7400ft. Never had issues with snow or ice on the K02s, partly because I drive like an old granny! I will be towing a small TT so I think the E rating will be safer.
Thx

Have the 275/70 R18 on a stocker. No issues and like the added height versus the 285/65.

Sounds like a killer trip! I'll remember to ask about the finger plate, thanks. The 4runner had a small lift and 275/70 R17s. Sold that car. I'm in Monument. We get more snow/ice than COS since we are at 7400ft. Never had issues with snow or ice on the K02s, partly because I drive like an old granny! I will be towing a small TT so I think the E rating will be safer.
Thx

I haven't had any issues in snow with the KO2s. Just playing it safe when I get to the PNW where ice seems to happen more than snow. We're just up the road in Highlands Ranch so we don't see snow stick around long. I tow a 6K# travel trailer. I also had tire puncture issues a couple years ago (sharp rocks on trails) with the D-rated tires I had on my previous vehicle. So I switched to E-rated both for the towing and for the toughness when off road.

I may consider the 275/70 R18s such as @shelby95 and others are using. Also for the additional height. But by then I may do a suspension upgrade and lift from Slee.

Since you asked if 285/60/18 will fit, I thought it worth mentioning that size is stock in 2016. 65 is known to fit as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom