Any clever methods of salvaging spray paint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got lots of spray paint that just won't spray no matter how many tips you try. I don't mind tossing partial cans but multiple full unused cans is getting a little much and I'd like to at least salvage the paint. Is anyone doing that/have a clever method of doing so without creating a giant mess? Rust-oleum (and particularly their farm & implement paint) seems to be the worst.

Never tried it with spray paint but I’ve put those one time use Spray texture cans for Sheetrock in bucket of warm water for about 10 minutes before I shake them.

That makes sure you get all the product out of the can as I think it mixes easier.

I've used a rubber tipped blow gun and re-pressurized the can. Took the spray tip off and gave it a quick shot of air. I think there are youtube videos out there.

I do it more on dead cans of Liquid Wrench and such. I was nervous the first time I tried it. I don't do it often but it has always worked.

IDK what kind of pressure is in paint cans from the factory. Worth looking into.

Otherwise, if there is no pressure in the can, puncture it and use a brush (which I have also done) or maybe it can be saved in a can or jar you can reseal??

Yes it sounds stupid and probably is. Yes I have actually done it. That stuff is over $10/can now. Or be safe and try taking it back. I've done that on dead cans I just bought.

I assume they won't spray upside down either?

No, most stuff these days is spray any angle and you can't clear by spraying upside down. The farm/implement is old style and I always clear but current issue is new/unused cans (albeit a couple years old) that you might get a few squirts out of before it clogs. Also seems to be clogging in the can and not nozzle despite vigorous shaking/free ball.

Never tried it with spray paint but I’ve put those one time use Spray texture cans for Sheetrock in bucket of warm water for about 10 minutes before I shake them.

That makes sure you get all the product out of the can as I think it mixes easier.

I've done that in the past and it helps but not in current situation.

I've used a rubber tipped blow gun and re-pressurized the can. Took the spray tip off and gave it a quick shot of air. I think there are youtube videos out there.

I do it more on dead cans of Liquid Wrench and such. I was nervous the first time I tried it. I don't do it often but it has always worked.

IDK what kind of pressure is in paint cans from the factory. Worth looking into.

Otherwise, if there is no pressure in the can, puncture it and use a brush (which I have also done) or maybe it can be saved in a can or jar you can reseal??

Yes it sounds stupid and probably is. Yes I have actually done it. That stuff is over $10/can now. Or be safe and try taking it back. I've done that on dead cans I just bought.

I've seen the videos about repressurizing/clearing clogs. May try that but not holding my breath.

I'm not really looking for how to clear clogs. What I'm mainly looking for is if someone has a good method of puncturing/depressurizing a can so I can at least save the paint without making a total mess like I used to do as kid.

I find it interesting that 10+ year old cans of Duplicolor engine paint work fine but if you buy several cans of something like RO Caterpillar yellow or Kubota orange you can't count on it being usable a couple years later.

This is all the wrong answer for your post, but I used to lo like throwing a couple of cans in a big bonfire.
some would blow, some would spew flame, other wimpy ones would just pop.
not a useable solution but just fun.
Oh I'll spare you all the cautions, since I know your a bunch of intelligent guys out there.
Bobmo

yes, you can refill them with an air compressor and hacking (in a good way) the tip. Done it. Just don't go wild on the pressure.
Or you can always drill through to get to the paint and also have your friends gather round and enjoy the resulting mishap if the tip was indeed clogged...

Tinkered around and came up with this to safely puncture cans. 3 1/4" x 1/8" wall tube (3" would have been better but couldn't find any). Hole drilled near top with fine thread 5/16 nut welded and bolt turned to a point in the lathe. Duct tape is temp and I may eventually weld a plate on bottom. 3/16 vent hole near bottom, 1 1/2" plug in bottom to raise short can to puncture height (remove for tall can), and fairly tight fitting plastic plug for top. Punctures easily and releases gas slowly as you back the bolt back out a little. Come back in a couple minutes and can is depressurized with no explosive spray going everywhere (paint on top is from previous attempts to spray). Small piece of electric tape over hole will let me shake real good before popping another hole near bottom to drain into can for later use.

IMG_2287.JPG
IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_2288.JPG

very clever!

My daughter finds it very amusing to dispatch my old aerosol cans with the pellet rifle. She aims for the lid seam because it imparts rotation while rupturing the can. It can yield some energetic dancing cans...

Hence, I save up cans until she is home and has the time to dispatch them.

22 Pellet Rifle.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom