Any Coats tire balancer gurus in the house? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up this 1055 balancer and trying to get figured out. Machine is labeled single phase but motor plate says 3 phase. I guess motor could have been changed at some point but that seems unlikely given where it came from. Initially wired single and it powers up/will spin tire if you get it going by hand. Tried on 3ph and powers up but then doesn't want to spin even with a hand start. But no braking which I assume would be a 3ph thing?

Instructions briefly mention basic single or 3ph hook ups but not enough info to tell if they're talking about different machines or if either/or which doesn't make any sense. Appears it was hooked up to 3ph previously despite the label. What am I missing here?

IMG_2364.jpg
IMG_2362.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg

What controls the motor? If it's a 3 pole contactor then the machine is definitely 3 phase. If it uses a VFD then it could be 1 or 3 phase.

Call Coates. They are very helpfull. Both my machines are from them and they have been great to deal with.

No VFD and no obvious contactor. I tinkered with it some more and it seems to be working on 3ph. Doesn't spin nearly as fast/long as I would have expected but a friend says looks right based on his experience. Need to get some weights to test it.

1.5hp "direct drive"motor if that means anything special. Sure is a beast for 1.5hp.

If you really want it to function the way it should I would get it calibrated and serviced. Just my 2 pennies.
That is a good old machine if properly working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom