Another diesel 40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No rust issues with this one. A funky hole, and someone replaced the rear cross member at some point.

20230102_140505.jpg

Pretty pleased that instead of removing the rear most rivets the previous owner removed the entire diagonals, which made for a much cleaner installation. I hate seeing bolt heads on the rear cross members between the bumperettes.

20230102_140525.jpg

20230102_140529.jpg

20230102_140543.jpg

20230102_140536.jpg

Last edited:
So is it still a 1978
The BJ40 was a 78 model. This frame is a 68 or 69 if I remember correctly, perhaps John can chime in...on that part. After taking the BJ40 apart the only thing I'll really be using from that rig is the hood, front bib, and engine/transmission mounts. I suppose it's a franken40 at this point, early frame, aqualu body, late model bib, and a diesel drivetrain.

Great build coming up!

sub'd for when i do my aqualu tub on my 42

Do you know what radiator support you will be using? The frame mounts on the front crossmember changed by about an inch somewhere 72/73 I think.

Do you know what radiator support you will be using? The frame mounts on the front crossmember changed by about an inch somewhere 72/73 I think.
I have the bj40 support and one or two others laying around here somewhere. Which frame mounts are you referring to on the front crossmember? I know the front crossmember itself changed at least two times over the years.

I have the bj40 support and one or two others laying around here somewhere. Which frame mounts are you referring to on the front crossmember? I know the front crossmember itself changed at least two times over the years.

The two that the radiator support sits on

I cut a plate to box the inside of the frame rail. The I.D. of the relay rod from the factory 40 steering box to the center arm is perfect size to make anticrush tubes out of. I had to rig something to cut it with somewhat square because I don't have a band saw.
20230104_214343.jpg

20230104_214359.jpg

20230106_154445.jpg

20230106_172002.jpg

Using an extra plate helps keep it square for welding.
20230107_141851.jpg

On previous 60 ps conversions I pushed the tube through the outside of the frame, chamfered the frame and welded the tube to the outside wall, then ground it back flat. I don't think that there was a ton of weld that remained and it really served little purpose. Doing it this way the tube is flush to the inner wall of the outside rail.

20230107_155048.jpg

20230106_171840.jpg

Last edited:
The BJ40 was a 78 model. This frame is a 68 or 69 if I remember correctly, perhaps John can chime in...on that part. After taking the BJ40 apart the only thing I'll really be using from that rig is the hood, front bib, and engine/transmission mounts. I suppose it's a franken40 at this point, early frame, aqualu body, late model bib, and a diesel drivetrain.

Roma do not remember the month be believe it was an early 69. Center arm was still the early style and the hole for the tail light brackets were offset. That came with two frame frames. Remember the other rear crossmember was the same center arm and rear crossmember. SOR has a chart that will date it. Sure I did at some point but don't remember what it was. By how it looks under the motorm mounts can see how rust free it is. Sad when I think of all the 40s I've seen in wrecking yards that are now crushed and melted down.

Roma do not remember the month be believe it was an early 69. Center arm was still the early style and the hole for the tail light brackets were offset. That came with two frame frames. Remember the other rear crossmember was the same center arm and rear crossmember. SOR has a chart that will date it. Sure I did at some point but don't remember what it was. By how it looks under the motorm mounts can see how rust free it is. Sad when I think of all the 40s I've seen in wrecking yards that are now crushed and melted down.

I'll look it up at some point John. Actually need to get to the DMV and get the registration for it at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom