Builds An Accidental Frame Off.................. (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lockers on fire roads? I’m not even in 4wd on most of the fire roads I’ve been on.

Lockers on fire roads? I’m not even in 4wd on most of the fire roads I’ve been on.

I never said I needed lockers, I just happen to have a couple in the parts box. If I could benefit from them any kind of way I may as well install them, the rear diff is on the table anyway.

After some debate and some research, I'm going to leave it stock, I've never had to turn around on any roads I drive due to my rig not being able to make it.

I'm no expert at any of this but according to the literature I have at hand these marks appear to be acceptable!

Coast
20200522_161215.jpg

Drive
20200522_161206.jpg

Needs to be more centered if you can.. What is your back lash? Did you happen to measure before you took it apart or run a pattern?

Needs to be more centered if you can.. What is your back lash? Did you happen to measure before you took it apart or run a pattern?

There was no way to measure backlash before I pulled the pinion, it was just flopping around like a fish out of water.

Backlash now was right at 7 thousands. I pulled it all apart again this afternoon because the pinion was too deep (based on the paint check) I removed a 5 thousands shim from the stack and the last pics are what I came up with afterwards.

Based on the sheet that came with my kit, that is an acceptable pattern, I do agree it would be nice to see the drive pattern more in the middle.

@matzell

Here is attempt #3.

I actually removed a 10 thousands shim earlier, I just added 5 thou back to that.

Here's the drive pattern

20200522_180026.jpg
20200522_180023.jpg

Lock-right for the rear?

View attachment 2309406
So I spent the dollars on my 40 ($2100 installed while my rear end was gone through) and put and Auburn LSD in the rear. I’m extremely happy with it. No popping, snapping, or crunching when turning tight and my tires slip maybe 50% of a rotation before it engages. If you can, I 100% recommend it. Also, open up that rod holder, I am a curious creature. And have you considered going to a Tenkara style fly fishing to circumvent the storage problem? I ordered a rod to give it a go.

So I spent the dollars on my 40 ($2100 installed while my rear end was gone through) and put and Auburn LSD in the rear. I’m extremely happy with it. No popping, snapping, or crunching when turning tight and my tires slip maybe 50% of a rotation before it engages. If you can, I 100% recommend it. Also, open up that rod holder, I am a curious creature. And have you considered going to a Tenkara style fly fishing to circumvent the storage problem? I ordered a rod to give it a go.

No tenkara for me, I enjoy the rhythm of casting, and casting some distance.

20200523_094352.jpg

Quick question and please forgive me if you already listed the specs in your postings. I am starting preparations for primer and paint and yours looks pretty good. Can you tell me the type of gun you used and how many CFM your air compressor pumped out?

Quick question and please forgive me if you already listed the specs in your postings. I am starting preparations for primer and paint and yours looks pretty good. Can you tell me the type of gun you used and how many CFM your air compressor pumped out?

Don't admire my paint job, it's about as amateur as it gets!

I used about a half dozen harbor freight paimt guns, after the first couple I just quit cleaning them. Toss em in the can and open a new one.

The compressor is a different story, it's an Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon 5 hp unit, way more flow than necessary, but I bought it as a long term tool.

Don't admire my paint job, it's about as amateur as it gets!

I used about a half dozen harbor freight paimt guns, after the first couple I just quit cleaning them. Toss em in the can and open a new one.

The compressor is a different story, it's an Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon 5 hp unit, way more flow than necessary, but I bought it as a long term tool.

Every time I think of the Rustic Green garage door, it cracks me up.

Rear diff back in and the first test drive is done. It ran a whole lot smoother, quieter, and felt tighter when changing directions.

More to come soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom