Builds An Accidental Frame Off.................. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was a whole mismatch of bearings.
20200519_183256.jpg

Just drop em right in place, modern solutions to stone age problems.

20200520_175318.jpg
20200520_175057.jpg

Drop em on, give em a little double tap to make sure their seated all the way.

Easy as pie.
20200520_180013.jpg

It's so easy it would be a crime in some states.

20200520_181127.jpg
20200520_181133.jpg

Getting close, it's time to stop for tonight, I'll pick it back up tomorrow evening and go back through and double check preloads and backlash.

A big thank you goes out to @OTRAMM for posting up a pretty thorough YouTube video on rebuilding the Toyota diff.

Also broke out some old school technology with the Starrett dial indicator that used to belong to my grandpa.

20200520_200641.jpg
20200520_200649.jpg
20200520_200656.jpg

He was a machinist?

He was an old timer, did about anything and everything, a machinist, electrician, made guitars, gunsmith, mechanic. He was raised by dustbowl refugees, the kind that wouldn't pay to have something done that they could do themselves.

Maybe some of that has rubbed off on me.

Getting close, it's time to stop for tonight, I'll pick it back up tomorrow evening and go back through and double check preloads and backlash.

A big thank you goes out to @OTRAMM for posting up a pretty thorough YouTube video on rebuilding the Toyota diff.

Also broke out some old school technology with the Starrett dial indicator that used to belong to my grandpa.

View attachment 2313698View attachment 2313699View attachment 2313701
Nicely done............ :cheers:
...... and here I am thinking so highly of myself for rebuilding my brake master! 🤣

Nicely done............ :cheers:
...... and here I am thinking so highly of myself for rebuilding my brake master! 🤣
I am also humbled, nice work

Thanks guys, luckily for us working on 40's is some stone age type of stuff, simple and basic. So easy a caveman could do it.

That being said, it's not done yet.

It is not too late to put in a fine spline pinion gear set and a nice Auburn LSD. You are going to hate that Lock-rite. Nice work so far.

You are going to hate that Lock-rite.

That lock-rite might just stay on the workbench, I'm not 100% sold on using it yet. I've read numerous threads (some that you have contributed to) about people disliking them, others loving them. I figure I can run it during the summer to see how I like it, if I'm not a fan I can pull it and toss the old spider gears back in.

Unfortunately with my kids being teenagers I have far too many other things to spend money on, I'd love to drop some coin for some legit lockers.

That lock-rite might just stay on the workbench, I'm not 100% sold on using it yet. I've read numerous threads (some that you have contributed to) about people disliking them, others loving them. I figure I can run it during the summer to see how I like it, if I'm not a fan I can pull it and toss the old spider gears back in.

Unfortunately with my kids being teenagers I have far too many other things to spend money on, I'd love to drop some coin for some legit lockers.
I understand. Seeing how and where you drive the lock-rite is twitchy. My vote would be a LSD in the rear and a "air' locker for the front when you really need it. If you were rock crawling then "no" on the lsd but for fire roads, light mud, etc where both wheels are on the ground, they are great and seamless.

Always love checking in to see your pics of the mountains and streams, you are living in a great place! Now get out there and post some new pics.

Rob

Lock-rite is a similar design to an Aussie/Lunchbox locker right? I'll agree a LSD is probably a better option for fire-roads, but I've had an Aussie in the rear axle of my 40 for 3-4 years now. It bugged the hell out of me at first - especially in U-turns and parking lots, but once you learn to adapt your clutching/driving style to accommodate the locker I don't even notice it, aside from the ratcheting. Every now and then it does sneak up on me and I'll look like a jackass bucking around a parking lot but 90% of the time it drives pretty "normal." My front is still open. I have dreams of an air locker but no plans to add one until at least my next axle rebuild. Not sure how I would feel about a lunchbox up front - generally unless 4WD is engaged there's no torque going to that axle but I've heard it can affect the turn radius - and for some reason I already have a wider turn radius than an 80-series.

Lock-rite is a similar design to an Aussie/Lunchbox locker right? I'll agree a LSD is probably a better option for fire-roads, but I've had an Aussie in the rear axle of my 40 for 3-4 years now. It bugged the hell out of me at first - especially in U-turns and parking lots, but once you learn to adapt your clutching/driving style to accommodate the locker I don't even notice it, aside from the ratcheting. Every now and then it does sneak up on me and I'll look like a jackass bucking around a parking lot but 90% of the time it drives pretty "normal." My front is still open. I have dreams of an air locker but no plans to add one until at least my next axle rebuild. Not sure how I would feel about a lunchbox up front - generally unless 4WD is engaged there's no torque going to that axle but I've heard it can affect the turn radius - and for some reason I already have a wider turn radius than an 80-series.

@rkymtnflyfisher I agree with what @RWBeringer4x4 said. I have had my 40 on the road just this spring with an Aussie in the rear. And it handles just like he said. Which on dirt roads really doesn't buck at all. And never does once you learn when to clutch with the locker. lol. Just from following your thread I think you will like the locker where you drive. But, like you, I saved my spiders and spacer JUST IN CASE. :) The clicking does take a little to get used to...

I 100% think an LSD is probably the better call for the fishing rig, a little added traction without the annoyance of a ratcheting and random locking on road. The biggest deciding factor for me would be that the lock-right is free, the LSD isn't ;) but I'm cheap.

Actually on second thought - you're in Montana, which means snow and ice. A LSD might be less dangerous. I'll stop spamming your build thread now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom