Almost stolen 1972 last night! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so far I have

1. I will put the club on, plus buy something better
2. A chain from roll cage to wheel wont hurt too.
3. Leave it in neutral
4. Install kill switch somewhere
5. Buy the most angry "red zone" case dog at the pound and put a cushy bed in the back between the spare... Im thinking a swinford bandogge would work well.
6. pray

Last edited:
1. I will put the club on just incase it helps.
2. A chain from roll cage to wheel wont hurt too.
3. Leave it in neutral
4. Install kill switch (where is the best spot)
5. Remove rotor from dist also.
6. ???

This is my favorite. Browser Warning You can skip creating the "remote" and just carry a small magnet on your key chain. Not sure why the link says browser warning. This is even a better link with a good drawing of how to hook everything up. http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53270&#604669

Last edited:
i plan on making a few kill switches. one will be the cig lighter, have to push it in to start it. then ill probly add a fuel cut off to another switch i wont be using.

you might want to look into locking the seat foward so someone cant sit in it.

I used a Kryptonite Lock rather than a chain for the steering wheel. It's plastic coated and quick to install.

Although most of the guys/gals on here are good people... I know that the crooks know how to use a computer. So don't post the exact details of what you're doing ie. where the switches are.

yep very true

The longer I have been alive the more I realize that this is true, there are so many crooks and I don't give people the benefit of the doubt.

In this mornings frenzy I have decided on a VERy effective conclusion...:D

Has anyone noticed that the four wire plug for ignition is the same on most early Toyota vehicles. It would be real simple to unplug and start with your own switch & key. Especially with an open top rig sitting in the driveway. If somebody wants it bad enough there gonna get it.

While you're at it wire one of yor kill switches so that the horn blasts if power is hooked to the coil.

Lock the hood.
That's a great idea. Diagram that for us :hmm:

Cops dont care about car theft in San Diego. Happens so often they have an automated phone number so you can file the report. In fact when I found out where my FJ40 was that was stolen a year earlier, they didnt even care enough to call back and find out where it was... sad fact of life in Southern Cal.

at least take the engine fuse out of the thing - this is what i do when i leave it in the parking lot for a quick trip into walmart etc

its as simple as a kill switch.. most people don't have bullet fuses on them

Cops dont care about car theft in San Diego. Happens so often they have an automated phone number so you can file the report. In fact when I found out where my FJ40 was that was stolen a year earlier, they didnt even care enough to call back and find out where it was... sad fact of life in Southern Cal.

Yeah, that is sad but true. Even LoJack isn't really even that effective down here. I talked to a buddy with SDPD a couple years ago about it, and he said LoJack wasn't very effective here because it isn't activated until you know the vehicle is stolen and you phone it in, and by that time, they can be across the border or already in process of disassembly, and SDPD just doesn't have the resources and it isn't high on their priority list.

Search out different ideas here on the tech board. A lot of people say they combo a bunch of different deterents to make the would be thief decide to move on to the next target. If they want it that bad, they will find a way. But, if you can throw up enough roadblocks, the odds are in your favor they will give up if it is too difficult.

Anyone tried Powerlock? apparently, it permanently attaches to the starter so the car cannot be hot wired. the switch is activated by a little digital key, which then activates the switch on the starter, allowing the vehicle to be started. a little pricey at 200 bones, but might be worth it; I'm seriously considering it.

Link www.powerlock.com

Thinking ahead about security for my ongoing build I was wondering if anyone ever considered a hidden line lock on the brakes? Could lock up all four wheels and make them have to lift it to move it. My steering column has no lock position so all you would need is a tow strap to take it - no need to start it.

problem with line locks is they place constant pressure on the braking system; could be bad if you have any leaks or potential weak areas.

could always rig a lock on the ebrake. I think i saw something called brakelock somewhere.

I was thinking that someone needs to invent a removable gear shift lever that links together somehow under the boot. press a button to release the lever and take it with you; locked in gear, no one's taking it!

removable steering wheel?

The club would have stopped them from trying. Anyone who would think to have a hacksaw to get the club off would have taken your vehicle last night. Taken out the ignition switch and hot wiring it to start on these in the dash is a 2 minute job for anyone serious about stealing it. Put the club on and 99% of the time you will be good. A hood lock and hidden kill switch is the best bet, but I would still put on the club. The club will deter the idiot out for a joy ride who will only mess up your ignition switch or vehicle trying to steal it. He would have still taken out your ignition switch and messed it up with a hidden kill switch but not likely with a club.

While you're at it wire one of yor kill switches so that the horn blasts if power is hooked to the coil.

Lock the hood.

I had my old Willys wired like that. No keyed ignition switch, either. ;)

There were a series of switches on the right side of the steering wheel (on/off) to turn on (in order) 12V, ignition, horn, lights, wipers, off-road lights.

There was a single momentary switch on the left side of the steering wheel. To start the vehicle you had to turn on the first two switches on the right, use the switch on the left to start, then, after the rig was started, flipping the 3rd switch up now made that momentary switch on the left blow the horn.

NEVER worried about that one being stolen. :lol: I could show people how to start it and they'd have the horn blowing, wipers on, etc. :lol:

For ultimate irony you could install a switch so that the vehicle will start without the key switch being turned. Then when the thief busts the lock cylinder to turn the switch he's disabling the vehicle. :lol:

You could change the tires every night to these:

1005_final.jpg

:meh:

My concern is someone just backing up a flatbed to my FJ and towing it away in seconds. Besides a garage, not sure how to prevent that.

I forgot my Club keys the other day. It took me less then ten seconds to drill out the lock and open it.

If a thief pulls up in a flatbed, he really really wants your rig and has already scoped it out and planned to steal it this way. I would reckon most run of the mill thieves won't have a flatbed on hand, or a towstrap; they're looking to start it and drive it away. You can't stop everyone I suppose, but who's to stop someone from taking your wallet, your bike, whatever; there's always a risk with everything. So, do what you can and enjoy your rig as long as you can possibly muster.

:cheers:

has any one thought of a bracket in the bay on the end of you steering colum and a bracket from something slse so you can lock them together and create a steering lock. also what about a switch that sends signal to the horns and lights insted of the started so when they are hot wiring the ignition barrel it blasts the horns and lights and nothing to the starter? a toggle switch or a momentry switch you have to hold and crank to start?
but what about roll starting the car when they have pushed it away? one wire to the coil is all it took im my old rig then everything was live. So you need a steering lock or its towed or pushed away. or go get a bigg loud exhaust and you will hear it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom