Almost Pulling the Trigger on an Orion. . . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm really close to ordering an Orion for my rig but have a few questions. My setup is a 350/465/3-speed case. I'm running a '76 front axle with minitruck knuckles/outers/stock birfs/ARB/4.11s. Rear is a '75 with a Lockright and I am running 37" MTRs. I live in CA and use/will use the rig on most of the trails in Nor Cal (Rubicon/Fordyce/Dusy being the most difficult). I am generally light on the gas pedal as I don't like to break.

My quesition is, if I add the Orion am I asking for trouble elsewhere in my drivetrain? I know my axle setup is fine with my current gearing (62:1), I'm just a little concerned if I throw the Orion into the mix at 108:1. . .

Thanks

Last edited:
be gentle with the skinny pedal if you are locked up front. with a 108:1 crawl, that shouldnt be a problem. i have seen some crazy gearing down in moab go just fine with the same setup. all the birfs i have heard break seem to be associated with stomping on the gas.

350/465/orion case. I'm running ... stock birfs ... 37" MTRs. I ... will use the rig on most of the trails in Nor Cal (Rubicon/Fordyce/Dusy being the most difficult). ... I don't like to break.

...am I asking for trouble elsewhere in my drivetrain? ... 108:1 ...

Uh, yea. If you can afford the $1600 for the case, you can afford another $650 for the 30 spline Longfield setup.

Pull the trigger! The ability to go slow will keep you from breaking parts if you don't step up to harder lines and trails. But that is entirely up to you. :D I love my crawler... It is almost like cheating after years of having to "attack" an obstacle. The first time you just crawl over it in complete control will put a big smile on your face. Poser had a excellent step by step Orion setup thread a few days ago you will want to read.

You will love the gearing.

Remember to make whoever you are purchasing this from aware of what adapter you are using to mate the current Land Cruiser case to the rear of the 465, as there are a couple special fasteners supplied with the Orion that must be used that change depending on the application.

Are you planning on doing the build and install or having it done?

Poser had a excellent step by step Orion setup thread a few days ago you will want to read.

That I have to the point of setting up the pre-load of the main shaft bearings and need to get the rest of that up here, since it is finished and on the way to Todd.

Yeah. . . I'm thinking Longs will be my next big purchase after the Orion. I just did a TBI conversion last month and am already pushing it with the Orion. . .

A local shop is doing the build/install with me working side by side with him. I'm not real comfortable learning on a $1600 transfer case. I've printed a bunch of information for him from this site (ie, spacer for the 465 output shaft, "fix it kit" for the poping out of gear issue). Anything I'm missing?

The shop I'm working with spoke with AA yesterday and they had mentioned both the 465 spacer issue and the popping to neutral fix.

Poser. . .you mention different parts that need to be used for different applications. Have I covered it with the above or am I missing something?

Thanks

What adapter are you using between the 465 and the Orion?

Is AA aware of this adapter?

There are different bolt kits for mounting the Orion, depending on the application and or adapter being used.

Also-

I have found that depending on the wear of the output shaft on the 465 or 420, you may need to use a rotory flap sanding wheel to open up the ID of the splines just a bit to make the Orion input gear slip on the output shaft of the transmission.

There are a couple pictures here to go along with the above statement.

What adapter are you using between the 465 and the Orion?

Is AA aware of this adapter?

There are different bolt kits for mounting the Orion, depending on the application and or adapter being used.

Currently It's got an AA adapter. Any experience with these between an Orion and a 465?

Currently It's got an AA adapter. Any experience with these between an Orion and a 465?

No, I have used the plate adapters instead. However, that answers the question about the adapter...and AA should be able to get you the correct fastener kit for your Orion kit provided they are made aware of that when you order it.

:beer:

No, I have used the plate adapters instead. However, that answers the question about the adapter...and AA should be able to get you the correct fastener kit for your Orion kit provided they are made aware of that when you order it.

:beer:

Thanks. Any idea if the AA adapter will change the need to add spacer(s) on my output shaft?

Thanks again. . .

You should not need to put any spacers on the input gear, unless that adapter uses them. I guess I would pay close attention to how the old transfer case comes off the adapter and reuse anything if it is there between the input gear and the back side of that adapter.

The spacers that AA was talking about were the ones that Mike Davidson(treeroot) wrote about in his 465/plate adapter/Orion install.

Perhaps they did not think that you had one of their adapters...

Thanks. . .

I'll make sure all of this is communicated to AA & the shop when we order the kit. . .

Well, I just ordered the Orion! I can't wait. . .

Thanks for everyone's help. . .

:beer: :beer:

I'm having a local shop do the build/install with me watching/learning. I was quoted $2K for all the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom