Allow me to introduce myself... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TAM

Threads
Hi there!

I'm a recent convert to the Toyota family and I picked up this sweet 80 from a friend of mine.

My wife and I have wanted an overland rig for a long time. We've taken rides in beat up old Cruisers all over the world and I'm glad to finally have one to call our own!

Over the summer and winter I've thoroughly used and abused my rig and have learned some important lessons about self recovery along the way.

This is by far the best (and coolest) vehicle I've ever owned!

I've been a lurker here for many years off and on, and I hope I can eventually contribute something worthwhile down the line.

-Tom

Nice intro :).

Very nice. Welcome. :flipoff2:

She's a beauty!

With the title of your post, I was wondering if you were going to mention that you're a man of wealth and taste.

We got no sympathy for that around here.

...and "Welcome"

Nice 80 and welcome!

Your rig bears a striking resemblance to the one I rolled three weeks ago! :bang: Is that a slee 4" lift?

Wow sweet start!

As far as wealth and taste, I would say we love that around here. Look at Boltrippers build.

But don't listen to me, I'm a noob.

Looks like a sweet rig. Post up some details

Welcome :flipoff2:

Nice looking ride!

would like to see pics focusing on that hood scoop and do you know what's it from?

Nice rig, welcome to the 80 family.

:flipoff2:Welcome to the 80 family, lovely rig!!

Wow, friendly crowd!

With the title of your post, I was wondering if you were going to mention that you're a man of wealth and taste.

We got no sympathy for that around here.

As far as wealth and taste goes, my taste has improved with the purchase of this 80, but my (limited) wealth will become more limited judging by some of the cool mods and camping gear that can go into this beast.
I'm glad my Stones reference didn't go unnoticed :)

I believe it has the Slee 6" lift kit in it, riding on 35" rubber. I just switched over to a set of studded GY Duratracs for winter highway driving.

Some of the Yurrapean spec rigs came with on the diesel models. At least the ones around here have them...

I think the hood scoop is off of a Ford Mustang! Not sure which year. The PO did some really nice work on this 80. I'm a lucky guy to end up with it!

I've just recently discovered the Harmonic Balancer has delaminated and no longer drives the alternator all the time. Surprisingly, I made it about 500 highway kilometers on the battery charge alone. Voltage was down to about 8V when I arrived. :eek:

So the search is on for a new one. I'm having a hard time finding one outside of Australia at the moment, and shipping to Canada from fleabay is about 50% the cost of the balancer. I also need a new AC drive pulley while I'm at it - the previous one was tack-welded on to the balancer, as it looked to have delaminated long ago...

Can't wait to get it back on the road!

-Tom

RIP Bowie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom