Builds TRDdrew's build: let me introduce Waffles (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking great Drew! Quick question on the BellFab carrier...I'm assuming that it's through bolted on the back, correct? If so, where does it come through under the truck? Any pics?

I'm thinking of getting the swing outs off of the back of my Kaymar, and considering the BellFab, but I have the LRA tank under there, so I need to be sure I have access to put the hardware on the rear mount. I got some Slee swing out spindle covers, so I may pull one off tonight to make sure they fit to cover the posts before I get too carried away.

Looking great Drew! Quick question on the BellFab carrier...I'm assuming that it's through bolted on the back, correct? If so, where does it come through under the truck? Any pics?

I'm thinking of getting the swing outs off of the back of my Kaymar, and considering the BellFab, but I have the LRA tank under there, so I need to be sure I have access to put the hardware on the rear mount. I got some Slee swing out spindle covers, so I may pull one off tonight to make sure they fit to cover the posts before I get too carried away.
yes the rear mount your do have to drill 3 holes in the floor, not a huge deal to me. Some people have opt'd to not drill those holes. It was plenty secure without it but figured why not. I can take a photo from under the truck for you but you shouldn't have any issues, i know your LRA tank sits inside the frame rails and the mount for the bellfab is outside of the frame closer to the quarter. So you should have plenty of room.

yes the rear mount your do have to drill 3 holes in the floor, not a huge deal to me. Some people have opt'd to not drill those holes. It was plenty secure without it but figured why not. I can take a photo from under the truck for you but you shouldn't have any issues, i know your LRA tank sits inside the frame rails and the mount for the bellfab is outside of the frame closer to the quarter. So you should have plenty of room.
Thanks Drew, no pic needed....I crawled around tonight when doing my oil change and checked the rear. Good to know that it's on the outside of the rail, but even if inside, the LRA tank has enough clearance above to get my hand & wrench in there to hold a nut.

I did pull off my Jerry can swing arm to start, and the Slee cover fits perfectly on the post, so we'll see what I may do.

being in the auto body industry for the past 17 years i've met a lot of talented people, one of them being my PDR guy. He came by and worked his magic on a dent in the passenger quarter panel, that was there when i acquired it

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

v4.jpg

v5.jpg

So that pretty much gets us caught up to present day i will keep this thread update as much as possible, Nancy has stopped by the house and seen the truck once and approves of everything that i have done. I have a ton of future items that need to be done. Im slowly gathering parts for the birf rebuild and getting ready to tackle the valve adjustment and desmog

cheers thanks for reading :beer:

v6.jpg

i also was able to snag a gold edition grille off ebay, the original was very pitted and had 2 broken slats so for 50 dollars figured why not

gold.jpg

Great story! What condition were the Beemer bikes in....like did they turn over? Curious as to what those sold for - but also intrigued that those belonged to Nancy. I hope she rode them...adds to the story.

I like how you said you were not going to do too much to Waffles, then have a couple pages of doing a LOT but it's all relative, right? Must be nice to be in the business and have great resources. I'll be following along.

Great story! What condition were the Beemer bikes in....like did they turn over? Curious as to what those sold for - but also intrigued that those belonged to Nancy. I hope she rode them...adds to the story.

I like how you said you were not going to do too much to Waffles, then have a couple pages of doing a LOT but it's all relative, right? Must be nice to be in the business and have great resources. I'll be following along.
The R69S was Nancy's and was all original except for the storage bags but Yes she did ride it i saw some old photos! When I dug the bike out it was exactly has you saw i was going to clean it up but she wanted to preserve the "barn find" look. It has a bone dry tank free of and rust or debris and the motor kicked over and had good compression. i don't doubt i could have got it running. The R90 was Ken's and honestly the condition of that bike was amazing. Besides a small amount of corrosion starting on the chrome the bike was dang near flawless, but it did have a small amount of rust inside the tank that would have needed addressing. Otherwise i had every intention of putting gas in it and trying to get it running ( I REALLY wanted that bike )

A gentleman came down and purchased both of them (r69s & r90e) as a package for 18 thousand o_O. He was extremely knowledgeable of vintage BMW bikes and spent about 2 1/2 hours looking them over. Fully restored r69s's bring a ton of money ( roughly about 32 thousand ) so he felt that his offer was fair and we agreed.

Upstairs in the barn we found boxes of NOS Norton and BSA Motorcycle parts, apparently they used to have a Norton Commando but that went to a family memeber years ago, so those parts are all going to be shipped to him

the K100 was also Ken's and had a beautiful burnt orange paint job but the bike was still in pieces. It was the last vehicle he was working on before he got sick. Nancy had told be the all the fairings had just been painted and we found boxes upstairs in the barn filled with all the piece to put it back together but is still needed a lot of work. A local gentleman purchase that bike for 800.00 and actually sent me a video of that bike put back together and running about 3 months ago. Nancy was happy to hear that.

The same gentleman that bought the pair of bikes, turned his friend on to the 911 (which Nancy also used to drive on a regular basis) he came down and bought that for 20,000. Lastly a good friend of mine and MUD member @DC470 Bought the 924se.

@man0fsteel As far as Waffles goes I'm just catching up on lost time, The 3fe is slow enough so unless I regear it im not planning on anymore armor or bigger tires. The only other mod i want to do is a hidden winch mount behind the front bumper. My wife alway gets on my case that our 100 was supposed to stay fairly stock but we all know how that goes :rofl: so i'm trying to keep this build fairly mild, she does enjoy driving it. A bunch of maintenance post are come up soon, or maybe a sawzall and 37's who knows........ just kidding

u1.jpg

u2.jpg

All loaded up on my trailer the day @DC470 bought it
u3.jpg

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

4252BFCB-D4EF-4EFD-99F5-DA15D7DDFBA7.jpeg

Last edited:
The R69S was Nancy's and was all original except for the storage bags but Yes she did ride it i saw some old photos! When I dug the bike out it was exactly has you saw i was going to clean it up but she wanted to preserve the "barn find" look. It has a bone dry tank free of and rust or debris and the motor kicked over and had good compression. i don't doubt i could have got it running. The R90 was Ken's and honestly the condition of that bike was amazing. Besides a small amount of corrosion starting on the chrome the bike was dang near flawless, but it did have a small amount of rust inside the tank that would have needed addressing. Otherwise i had every intention of putting gas in it and trying to get it running ( I REALLY wanted that bike )

A gentleman came down and purchased both of them (r69s & r90e) as a package for 18 thousand o_O. He was extremely knowledgeable of vintage BMW bikes and spent about 2 1/2 hours looking them over. Fully restored r69s's bring a ton of money ( roughly about 32 thousand ) so he felt that his offer was fair and we agreed.

Upstairs in the barn we found boxes of NOS Norton and BSA Motorcycle parts, apparently they used to have a Norton Commando but that went to a family memeber years ago, so those parts are all going to be shipped to him

the K100 was also Ken's and had a beautiful burnt orange paint job but the bike was still in pieces. It was the last vehicle he was working on before he got sick. Nancy had told be the all the fairings had just been painted and we found boxes upstairs in the barn filled with all the piece to put it back together but is still needed a lot of work. A local gentleman purchase that bike for 800.00 and actually sent me a video of that bike put back together and running about 3 months ago. Nancy was happy to hear that.

The same gentleman that bought the pair of bikes, turned his friend on to the 911 (which Nancy also used to drive on a regular basis) he came down and bought that for 20,000. Lastly a good friend of mine and MUD member @DC470 Bought the 924se.

@man0fsteel As far as Waffles goes I'm just catching up on lost time, The 3fe is slow enough so unless I regear it im not planning on anymore armor or bigger tires. The only other mod i want to do is a hidden winch mount behind the front bumper. My wife alway gets on my case that our 100 was supposed to stay fairly stock but we all know how that goes :rofl: so i'm trying to keep this build fairly mild, she does enjoy driving it. A bunch of maintenance post are come up soon, or maybe a sawzall and 37's who knows........ just kidding

View attachment 3356016

View attachment 3356017
All loaded up on my trailer the day @DC470 bought it
View attachment 3356018

View attachment 3356019

View attachment 3356020
Thanks for the pics and story updates - this could have been on an episode of ‘American Pickers’! That 924 was my dream car as a youth!

Thanks for the pics and story updates - this could have been on an episode of ‘American Pickers’! That 924 was my dream car as a youth!

@man0fsteel Ya Man it definitly could have been. Its funny i was thinking the same exact thing as all of it was happening. @DC470 and I have been working on the 924se, we cleaned out the tank, replaced the fuel pump, we still have some fuel leaks in the soft lines up by the motor. The car came with a ton of spare new parts. Also everything to do the timing belt so we will tackle that and the fuel leaks and we should be good to fire it up soon :cool:

@man0fsteel Ya Man it definitly could have been. Its funny i was thinking the same exact thing as all of it was happening. @DC470 and I have been working on the 924se, we cleaned out the tank, replaced the fuel pump, we still have some fuel leaks in the soft lines up by the motor. The car came with a ton of spare new parts. Also everything to do the timing belt so we will tackle that and the fuel leaks and we should be good to fire it up soon :cool:
There's so much here you need to start a Porsche 924 Build thread!

Hahaha not sure this is the right forum for that but @DC470 should definitely start one
I just went down a little rabbit hole on the 924 SE…I never realized how few of those cars were imported.

Very cool car indeed

Well it has been raining like crazy hear in MD for the past 4 days straight, we had one nice day yesterday and went out to the 80. Found a few drops on the driver floor mat. Looks like it was running down the A pillar. I cleaned the sunroof drains and under the cowl when I first got the truck and climbing under the dash it doesn't apart to be coming from the windshield so I have a bit of testing to do

5183896C-FDD7-4ADF-8630-8EBE07DDE3C6.jpeg

E790B9EA-D0CB-4977-9CDD-EB64BEA0E291.jpeg

My son Is 14 and gonna be driving in about a year and half, his grandparents gave him their old Ford Escape, 4 cyl fwd but all and all clean little car, I had to crush his dreams of his first car being a land cruiser. But this will do and gives him more opportunities to fix a few things on it and improve his mechanical abilities

EF4C0506-7AE4-4D8F-B6B7-427B5BE5A65E.jpeg

Last edited:
@man0fsteel - I get a call from @TRDdrew about the barn finds, but I was told there was a 944 (I guess the other items in the barn were too distracting to look at and it was covered). I trust Andrew, the car was in good shape and deserved to be on the road, Nancy needed her barn back (she also called it a 944) and I was looking for something fun to get my hands on.

It wasn't until the car was on jack-stands in my garage that I figured out it wasn't a 944, but its s***tier and skinnier older brother, the 924 - I panicked since my parents owned the unreliable VW parts bin version of the 924. They hated it, they always told the story of the worst car they ever owned. After a few more hours of research, I was very presently surprised to learn it wasn't my parents nightmare, but an '88 924SE! 1 of 500 sold in the US - It didn't come with the coin.

Not much of build thread to write up since its still in the same spot. Waiting on the timing belt tools to arrive to tear into it, get it on the road again and sell it to the next owner. A 924SE is not on the list of my forever cars. I just call it the "Not-944".The whole experience makes for a great story. I was there when Nancy gave Andrew the keys to the 80 - he put in a ton a work for her and she was very thankful. I still owe her a ride when the 924 gets back on the road.

Last edited:
One thing i've alway hate about every 80 i've ever had was the ergonomics, the center consoles are just to low and its even worse in the early models. I bought a Tuffy console and its by far my favorite upgrade, idk why i never did it in any of my other trucks. Plus you can never have too many cupholders ;) i did find a NOS relay under the factory console along with about 1.50 worth of change so that was kinda cool

View attachment 3354646

View attachment 3354647

View attachment 3354648

excellent , we are growing in numbers :
.i WILL have a 100 % TOYOTA OEM parts DESMOG kit out in a month
2FFFD7A2-0C1E-4D0F-A774-7B938803144B (2) - Copy - Copy.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-12 at 1.05.39 PM - Copy (2)1 - Copy.jpg

DSCN0135 - Copy.png

@man0fsteel - I get a call from @TRDdrew about the barn finds, but I was told there was a 944 (I guess the other items in the barn were too distracting to look at and it was covered). I trust Andrew, the car was in good shape and deserved to be on the road, Nancy needed her barn back (she also called it a 944) and I was looking for something fun to get my hands on.

It wasn't until the car was on jack-stands in my garage that I figured out it wasn't a 944, but its s***tier and skinnier older brother, the 924 - I panicked since my parents owned the unreliable VW parts bin version of the 924. They hated it, they always told the story of the worst car they ever owned. After a few more hours of research, I was very presently surprised to learn it wasn't my parents nightmare, but an '88 924SE! 1 of 500 sold in the US - It didn't come with the coin.

Not much of build thread to write up since its still in the same spot. Waiting on the timing belt tools to arrive to tear into it, get it on the road again and sell it to the next owner. A 924SE is not on the list of my forever cars. I just call it the "Not-944".The whole experience makes for a great story. I was there when Nancy gave Andrew the keys to the 80 - he put in a ton a work for her and she was very thankful. I still owe her a ride when the 924 gets back on the road.
I’m so old I even forgot there was a 944! But now I remember and your folks were absolutely correct - the 924 was a VW w a Porsche badge. But the SE has the 944 engine right?

I don’t want to completely hijack Andrew’s thread here but please feel free to update me privately when u do get her back on the road.

@man0fsteel your all good brother. It's all part of the story. Currently @DC470 was nice enough to let me put waffles in his barn till all this rain passes, I'll get the water leak figured out soon enough. Garage space is at a premium right now at my house until the new shop gets built

DA9E13C3-C28D-4EBE-9175-3B1C230DFE40.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom