New-To-Me 1997 LX450 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well finally got the remaining bearing and race. Went to put the brake caliper back on and it was super stuck. Figured a little pump of the brakes would help jostle it and maybe help me push the piston back in, but instead it squirted some brake fluid out. The pistons on the caliper on the other side looked a bit rough too. Wondering if its time to rehab these. How hard is it to rehab the pistons? Haven't found the caliper yet but the 525 price tag on cruiser outfitters has me scared and looking to want to just rehab them.

Any recs on brake pads too? 🙏🏻

The FSM would be worth looking at for a caliper rebuild/refurbish. There is also a way to install 100 series brake pads as an upgrade. YT has a few videos on caliper rebuilds.

The FSM would be worth looking at for a caliper rebuild/refurbish. There is also a way to install 100 series brake pads as an upgrade. YT has a few videos on caliper rebuilds.
Totally - dove into youtube last night. Didn’t find anything in the FSM about the caliper rehab job. Maybe there’s another document I need to download. It Seems simple enough. Probably worth doing a brake fluid change anyway. Not very experienced at bleeding brakes so I guess this will be a good run through.

Seems like some folks are claiming there is a Toyota Refurb options that brings it to $30ish per caliper after core return. Are LX450 calipers the same part numbers as the Toyota LC from 97? He gave 47730-60060-84 and 47750-60660-84 for the two fronts. He said it will show up as the wrong number but that is likely due to a different manufacturer. Can anyone speak to this?

The 100 pad swap seemed smart. Didn’t seem like there was a lot too it. Can anyone speak from experience?

Read a bunch of people talking about swapping in the NAPA calipers - though not sure if the quality has dropped in recent years. Thoughts there? Also - any recs on the best place to source rebuild kits? Will try and inspect pistons to see if they need replacing as well.

Last edited:
Went with the refurb'd route considering you can get OEM for $30 each, just hoping the parts are the same. I'm enjoying a couple days without grease all over me after the two knuckle rebuilds 😂.

Went for the 80's pads - i'm sure the 100's work just figured i will simplify for not. Going to swap the brake hoses out as well.

@jonheld everything you've said has proven true. thanks for help set some expectations.

Do yourself a favor and get a Motive bleeder and a Power Probe BA10 cap for the master cylinder reservoir, makes brake bleeding a snap. Also search for bleeding the ABS, I never was successful and ended up deleting the ABS and LSPV and actually have great brakes now.

Well -

The reman'ed brake calipers finally showed up 2 weeks later. Got em for 30 bucks a caliper. Almost wish I had done the reman myself...

Went to install the first caliper today. Brake pads had some OE Import anti- squeal pads on them. They wouldn't fit with the OEM pads so mounted them up without em, figuring I'd buy some and pop em in down the road.

Went to torque down the two bolts to 90 ft/lbs when the top bolt start to spin. oh s***. The thread came off the bolt like a spring

Man, this is such a huge bummer. First the caliper piston pops then this. Definitely did not get to 90 ft/lbs btw so its not like i overtorqued it. Maybe a mechanic previously overtorqued it and I am just finding it now? Crazy for the thread to go so cleanly.

Safe to say I really don't want to have to replace the whole knuckle after just doing the whole rehab job. Have never rethreaded anything this big before and definitely feel a bit intimidated about the whole thing.

Any advice out there?

IMG_8329.jpeg

Helicoil insert.

Helicoil.

Went with a timesert on this - got shamed for the helicoil on FB. Happy with how it turned out. Went to install the caliper, and wouldn't you know it... the bottom hole had the same issue. Thinking that whoever did this brake job must have used the wrong bolts - though they look like Toyota bolts, i figured they were m12x 1.25 but just a shorter length, but it looks like the thread size is just wrong - or they also overtorqued it too? Regardless, I am getting another new bolt and going to have to drill out the lower hole as well.

IMG_8441.jpeg

Figured I'd do the passenger side with the new hose and caliper and I come to find this flare nut has been rounded off too! Looks like I will be replacing this hard line! I think I found the part number -

Toyota 47319-60101 Tube, Front Brake

Had the local dealer order it for $10. Sure beats making my own line! Hopefully its the right one!

Sent the oil into Blackstone. Still waiting to hear about the analysis!

More updates soon!

IMG_8450.jpeg

Little update - turned out to be the correct part number for the hard line. Hopefully that helps someone in there search, tried way to hard to verify that !

Also - timeserts ended up going great. I think the issue is that the bolt the P.O. used had a split lock washer which probably applied torque incorrectly. Regardless, learned from that lesson! Got the OEM bolts and new threads.

Went ahead and bled the lines. Lots of crud in there! Feel better than be before, so happy I did it. Did have an issue where the the re-man'ed caliper had a rusted bleeder screw hole. Took me a while to realize something was wrong. Ended up just taking a punch and lightly tapping it while having my wife pump the brakes. Brake fluid splattered through there! Had to really clean the hole so as not to ruin the threads and then did a lot of flushing. Probably 96 fl oz all in all.

Brakes feel fine on the first test.

Still waiting for that Blackstone result. Put a new battery in as the old one was super corroded. Windows are working wayyy better than before! Pretty stoked about that.

Seems like I have tackled the biggest issues facing it. Still have some oil build up that I would like to de-grease and see if there is any slow leak. Will also take a closer look at the PHH and maybe do a replacement on that. Other than an alignment, looking forward to finally driving her! Will figure out a plan on the antennae soon too, and shoot, maybe a new radio - the tape deck is broken or I might even consider keeping it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom