Alcan Springs - Do FJ55's have a lean like 40's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And why would they make them like that?

Easy answer, They don't. :D

They don't event make a 55 kit rather we have mixed and matched 4x/5x/6x and 7x parts for a complete bolt-on kit exception of the rear shackle hanger. There simply isn't an OME spring that will allow the axle to be in the correct location in the wheel well without moving the perch. All other parts, shackles, bushings, shocks, etc are a direct fit.

Easy answer, They don't. :D

They don't event make a 55 kit rather we have mixed and matched 4x/5x/6x and 7x parts for a complete bolt-on kit exception of the rear shackle hanger. There simply isn't an OME spring that will allow the axle to be in the correct location in the wheel well without moving the perch. All other parts, shackles, bushings, shocks, etc are a direct fit.

Do you guys keep this option in stock?

Is it one size fits all as in weight rating and all?

Do you guys keep this option in stock?

Is it one size fits all as in weight rating and all?

You bet. There are times some parts are backordered but assuming OME isn't waiting on an Aussie shipment, we have it.

No, there are several front springs, several rears and a handful of shock valve options.

You bet. There are times some parts are backordered but assuming OME isn't waiting on an Aussie shipment, we have it.

No, there are several front springs, several rears and a handful of shock valve options.

I don’t want to sound like your wife, but are you home yet?

I’m not an expert and I didn’t stay at a Holiday inn so take my advice with a grain of salt.

This is a photo of the @cruiseroutfit lift with all of the required parts to install the springs and shocks supplied by them. The tires are 33” - 12.5” and this setup has great ride quality with the longer rear springs, like I said about half a day to relocate the rear hangers not a big deal.

If you look at the front shackle angle on Kurt’s kit you’ll see it’s a bit better than the Alcan Springs shackle angle in the picture residualboulders posted but I still needed the anti-inversion shackle and bounced the pin off the spring every time I took it off road.

4° caster shims made it drivable but not stable, I believe I was somewhere around 1° or 2° of caster with the shims. I would plan on a cut and turn as a long term solution if your plan is to comfortably drive your 55 at highway speeds.
LIFT.jpg

You find shocks?

not yet, been super busy so I haven't had a chance to remove the springs and send them to Alcan yet. My job and fatherly duties sometimes limit my cruiser time. I thought it might be a good idea to pull measurements for shocks after re-install. Any recommendations on shocks? I noticed SOR has some procomp shocks for up to 2" lift and some for 4+ lift. If i'm at 3, that puts me out of both of those ranges. I spoke to @cruiseroutfit about some OME, but they're really meant for up to 2" as well, so that may not be ideal. Of course what I'm after is not the norm.

Hopefully this weekend I'll be removing the springs again to send them back. I plan to put the stock shackle back on there to see how that looks. Although it looks like it will be a bear to get those on with the little added length to my springs. Think those shorter shackles will change the ride?

I think the shorter shackles in your case might net you a bit more lift. Normally that’s not the case but as flat as your shackles are I think a shorter shackle will get you a better angle. Try that first Before you do anything

As for shocks, the red 55 above has lots more lift than you and his OME work fine.

2” is plenty.

is Alcan adding a leaf for re-arching?

who is paying that shipping?

they are. they offered to send add a leaf but the ride would be better by replacing a couple of leafs. So from what I understand, not re-arching but building two new leafs for each pack.

maybe try a LONGER shackle? as the distance between the shackle eyes grows, the angle should steepen, no? How much longer is the aftermarket shackle you were using? I run something like 6" eye to eye Ruff Stuff shackles on my MAF 4+ rear springs. I bet if you went 2 1/2" + over stock shackle dimensions, you'd be about where Alcan said you would be...

I’m just looking at the pics...

Normally yes but since he added the extra length to the shackle side of the spring the shorter shackle actually raised it.

I’m just looking at the pics...

I agree with you ride height shackle angle is only one of the angles that matter and IMHO not the most important, if you get compression and droop angles correct ride height angle will be correct by default. If you use the rule of thumb shoot for a vertical shackle with the springs at full droop and about a 45° angle at full compression and assuming these pictures are at ride height you are correct it appears he would need longer shackles and most likely move the shackle mount forward to get full travel out of his current springs without inverting his shackle at full compression.

Some real knowledge here. So as I'm about to outboard my hangers this winter for a 60 axle, how do I tell where the optimal location for the shackle mount is?

Some real knowledge here. So as I'm about to outboard my hangers this winter for a 60 axle, how do I tell where the optimal location for the shackle mount is?

Not my intent to ball up residualboulders thread so I’ll make it short.

If you just want something that has the look and takes good pictures then none of this is necessary. If you plan to drive your pig off road and over obstacles that will fully extend or compress your suspension then you might want to take a minute to do some math.

The easiest way is to take your spring pack apart to just the main leaf and measure from eye to eye at full droop and full compression then calculate the proper shackle length for your setup shooting for that vertical shackle with the springs at full droop and about a 45° angle at full compression. this may help visualize the angles. Saltire Software :: Mathematical Technology for Industry and Education

I was the victim of blindly following internet advice when I set my front suspension up the first time, more info on the solution I came up with to try to salvage the parts I had and make them usable for me. YMMV. Target carrier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom