Alcan Springs - Do FJ55's have a lean like 40's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

settling out nicely now. Took @wngrog's advice and loaded it up with some weight for a while. Was spot on even the other night, now it's back to leaning a 1/4" from one side to the other. Maybe just needs some more usage and flexing to get it settled in. Mrs says it rides a bit stiffer than the stock springs, feels about the same to me. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the lift.

IMG_1714.JPG

Alright, 4 month or so update on Alcan Springs with a few obligatory pictures.

Truck still rides really nice and quiet. I love it. I sent my stock wheels off to Stockton and had them widened to 8" and mounted up some 33x10.5 BFG KM2. I almost went with 7" wide as I believe that is what @scrapdaddy has on his beautiful pig, but ended up going 8, 3.5 backspacing. Stockton was great to work with and had them powder coated for me as well (cardinal brand color code GR-09). It took about 3 weeks and looks like they did great quality work. Out of curiosity, I threw them on my 40 and I think they stick out past the wheel well too far - but that's my personal preference. I don't have fender flares on my 40. I think if I get widened wheels for my 40 I would either get fender flares, or go no more than 7" wide. For now I' keeping the stock wheels and 33x9.5 tall skinnies on the 40.

did you end up ordering Alcans as well @wngrog ?

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. No, I decided to keep my stock springs. They came off a very low mile 55 fire truck so I think they are great.

Yours looks great.

Not sure why you want the wider wheels for the 33x10.50 though. I run them on stock rims and have forever.

Nice!

How spendy was the rim work?

I’m planning on sticking with hubcaps too, thanks.

update on the 55 with lean issues. After driving around a while the lean was still pretty obvious, at least an inch lower on drivers side. It also had some body roll. This last week I had a sway bar installed to address that issue. The sway bar helped a lot, feels much better now. As a bonus, it just about eliminated my lean. Just thought I'd return and report in the event that someone else has had the lean issue.
full

@wngrog Yes it was. Apparently they quit installing the factory sway bar in January of 1979 (according to landcruiser heritage museum curator). Mine was a Feb truck. But i was able to track down a factory sway bar and had some brackets fabricated so I could install it. It's much nicer to drive now. I'm not sure how it could have effected the lean really but it looks much better. There is still a slight difference. I will likely install air bags eventually like you suggested, as I would want them when hauling gear.

Dan is spot on, Mar 1969 - Jan 1979 had the factory rear sway bar in the US/CAN market. Amazingly it uses some of the same hardware and bushings as a 100 Series's made nearly 4 decades later :cool:

Dan is spot on, Mar 1969 - Jan 1979 had the factory rear sway bar in the US/CAN market. Amazingly it uses some of the same hardware and bushings as a 100 Series's made nearly 4 decades later :cool:
Cool tech and helps hunting for rubbers on a 79 pig!

Cool tech and helps hunting for rubbers on a 79 pig!

We (Cruiser Outfitters) have all of the sway bar rubbers here in stock fwiw. You would need 2 x SUS11021KIT and 2 x SUS60010 to completely re-bush the rear sway bar. ~$45 to do them all with new hardware (sleeves, bolts, nuts) for the link end bushings, $35 if you don't want the hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom