Alcan Springs - Do FJ55's have a lean like 40's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
These showed up with UPS today. Took about 3 weeks to get them custom made at Alcan. Hopefully i can get them installed on the 55 soon.

IMG_1397.JPG

Those look really nice. Some new springs will really change your ride. Stock or some lift?

Those look really nice. Some new springs will really change your ride. Stock or some lift?

yes, hopefully the ride will be better than the 40 year old springs and shocks. Should lift a few inches with these springs and new tires. i'll have to post a before and after pic.

These seem to be the easiest route..no relocation of anything just bolt in?

I'll be watching this....I'm contemplating the same thing.
I called them about some springs, but after shipping, it was getting pretty expensive.
Did you give Alcan any measurements or just say "2 inches over stock FJ55"?

Yes, they were not cheap. 15 years ago when I bought new springs for my 40 it was a $600 lift kit. Not anymore, especially on these rare trucks. Yes, they had all the stock info on the FJ55, so they just asked if I had any modifications, what i'd be carrying in the truck and how much lift I wanted. I followed someone's advice on the forum and asked them to make the shackle side 1" longer. Bill at Alcan was great to work with. I asked for 3" lift and a smooth ride as I won't be carrying heavy gear frequently. I've got greasable shackles, pins and a set of bilsteins waiting to go on. Hopefully they shipped me the right parts! Updates later

The springs were around 1300 with bushings and new Ubolts shipped to the sticks. I'm planning on 33" tires. Prob throw the 33's from my 40 onto the 55 to see how it looks before buying another set.

I'm at a standstill right now because the company that sold me the shocks sent me the wrong part numbers. They say I need (2) 33-185552 and (2) 33-185606. I actually read on a thread here that those are the correct part numbers, however, both of those parts have eye on both ends of the shock. The front shocks require threaded post.

I called Bilstein to see if I could straighten it out. The sales guy was irritated I'd be calling with a question like that so he cut me off and transferred me to tech support. The tech support guy was more annoyed I didn't talk to sales. He told me they don't make anything for my truck. He had no interest in helping me because they haven't tested their shocks for the 55.

Not impressed with Bilstein. Anyone know what Old Man Emu part numbers will fit a 55 with 3" lift.

Last edited:
This is great information, thank you! I was looking at OME to lift the truck but it takes some modification on the rear spring rear mounts. I am super curious about your end result on this. We have a 76 FJ55 and I am looking to do a 2.5 inch lift (3 would work fine though), I run 33x10.50 BFG on my 40 and wanted to throw the same on this truck.

So since it came with bushings and u bolts, I'm assuming you will use the stock shackles, and u bolt plates?

Given your experience with Bilstein I think I will stick with OME for the shocks and steering damper. Was there any mention of modifying anything to compensate for the new angle and height?

One other follow up, you said you will be using greasable shackles and pins, are those OME?

Also, thank you @wngrog !!!

Last edited:
The springs were around 1300 with bushings and new Ubolts shipped to the sticks. I'm planning on 33" tires. Prob throw the 33's from my 40 onto the 55 to see how it looks before buying another set.

I'm at a standstill right now because the company that sold me the shocks sent me the wrong part numbers. They say I need (2) 33-185552 and (2) 33-185606. I actually read on a thread here that those are the correct part numbers, however, both of those parts have eye on both ends of the shock. The front shocks require threaded post.

I called Bilstein to see if I could straighten it out. The sales guy was irritated I'd be calling with a question like that so he cut me off and transferred me to tech support. The tech support guy was more annoyed I didn't talk to sales. He told me they don't make anything for my truck. He had no interest in helping me because they haven't tested their shocks for the 55.

Not impressed with Bilstein. Anyone know what Old Man Emu part numbers will fit a 55 with 3" lift.

thanks for the update.

Who are you buying the shocks from? When I search that P/N you listed, it shows a pic of a shock with an eye on both ends, which is not how the 55 is set up. Seems pretty obvious/where was the confusion? There are lots of shocks/brands to choose from with a stud on top (the 55 setup)....

For example: Rancho Shocks and Struts - Stud Upper Mount - Bar pin Lower Mount

Like was said before...Cruiser Outfitters knows which OME shocks will work on the 55 with a 2-3 in lift.

Can you / Are you going to use the factory shackles? That's what I want to do.

The only concern with stock shackles is the military wrap on these Alcan springs can be a bit large and also you might get a vertical shackle with lift springs if you don’t use a longer shackle.

I would call @orangefj45 and get some caster plates if you have to raise the shackles more than 1/2” over stock

yes @Witzer78, my first plan was also to do OME but decided I'd rather get custom springs and not modify the truck. I'm also running 33's on my 40 and plan to do the same on my 55.

My set up so far is:
3" lift alcan springs
1 1/2" extended greaseable shackles, CCOT
Greaseable pins - Specter
Caster shims for the front from Specter.
33x10 Tires

@onemanarmy, Long story on the shocks. Basically, several companies gave me those same part numbers as correct for the 55 and even verified that with their suppliers. Apparently someone somewhere has incorrect info. I've had bilsteins in the past and have liked them. But yes, I've been talking to Kurt and may end up getting OME shocks instead. He wasn't sure if what they have will accommodate the amount of lift, so I'm going to pull some measurements once I get the spring install complete. I don't know that I actually got a full 3" of lift so they may work. I'm sure you could just use your stock shackles if you'd like. I did that on my 40 when I replaced it's springs. But I ended up putting the same greaseable shackles on my 40 too.

I'm trying to involve my kids on this lift project in between all their school activities. So, i may not have the rest of it complete with pics to post for another week or two. Updates later.

The only concern with stock shackles is the military wrap on these Alcan springs can be a bit large and also you might get a vertical shackle with lift springs if you don’t use a longer shackle.

I would call @orangefj45 and get some caster plates if you have to raise the shackles more than 1/2” over stock

I would agree, this may be the case. I didn't test that theory though.

In regards to the vertical shackle, I followed the advice of someone on the forum here and asked Alcan to build my springs 1" longer on the shackle side. I think the idea was to increase the angle of the shackle so it rides better. I drove it down my pot holed driveway as I was turning it around in the shop to install the rear springs and it feels real nice. We'll see how it goes once the rear springs are on. I wonder though if I have lost some lift height because the spring is a tad longer and I'm using an extended shackle - if that makes sense. The longer spring would essentially do the same as an extended shackle would it not?Wondering if I'd be better off using the stock shackle due to the spring design.

I followed the advice of someone on the forum here and asked Alcan to build my springs 1" longer on the shackle side. I think the idea was to increase the angle of the shackle so it rides better.

Did you move the centering pin toward the shackle end also?

The shackle length starts messing with the caster of the axle. If you can use the stock shackles then you won’t need shims and it should steer the same. Little bits of change can make them herky jerky steering. Usually only when you get real long ones and only on the front.

A 1” over stock shackle only nets 1/2” of lift and usually won’t really make is bad. It’s when you u go above that do shims become needed imo.

As for true lift, if they made them 3” over stock height and yours were flat and 2” low you could net 5”. Who knows. Only way to tell is if you measured before and after.

Hurry up and get them on so I can see it and get mine on order :)

That would defeat the purpose

Lessons I learned the hard way lifting the front of a pig with spring under springs. Not saying my system is the only way but I will say it’s very stable when driving at highway speeds and works well off road. Your mileage may vary..

As you add more ach to the spring pack the main leaf needs to be physically longer, you need to move the centering pin to keep your wheel centered in the wheel opening, factory shackles are too short to accommodate the “stroke” of the new longer main leaf, the spec in the alignment book showed 1° of caster from the factory for my pig and adding “any” length to the front shackle will quickly take you into the negative caster territory.

If you mount just your main leaf and take measurements from full droop to full compression you’ll quickly discover you need nearly double the factory shackle length to accommodate the new longer main leaf so everything after that is going to be a compromise, shackle too short and they invert on compression and or limit droop, shackle too long and caster angle with shims alone is not an option as is all the other issues with long front shackles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom