Aftermarket (even mechanical) gauges into STOCK cluster!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I want IT!!!

Yes- Another SBC owner and have been looking for exactly this product. When are you going to have them available???

Any Night time shots with the LEDs working? Thats a huge improvement in the stock backlighting I would imagine..

Yes, they're an improvement over stock, but I want it to be even better. I've removed the "backlight" LEDs seen on this prototype and am replacing them with a strip of electroluminescent wire rope around the gauges - it'll be brighter and more even illumination than you ever thought was possible in a 'cruiser.

Soo, lemme drag my feet for a couple days while I wait for the EL ropes to come in and then I'll show some night shots next to the pathetic stock cluster in my truck - its gonna be awesome. The EL wire would be included with the kit, of course.

My only concern/question: The amp gauges shown go from 0 to positive 20 amps. The stock gauge is center zero and can go either way showing charge and discharge.

Those are voltmeters.....:beer:

Yep, thats a voltmeter. I couldn't find an ammeter that came in short-sweep and with a matching set of short-sweep temp and oil pressure gauges. In any case, I think for 95% of the days in the year, a voltmeter is more useful.

Will these work for the older screw type speedo plug clusters as well? If not, I can't use it.

I had/have every intention of making sure this works for the older clusters, but I need one to play with. If anyone has an old cluster - nonworking is fine - that they can part with for the cause PM me so I can ensure the brackets fit or modify as necessary.

will you be adding an option for tards' like me to just send you my cluster to be converted?

I'm obviously no worthy.

Email me the cost if I send you the panel...turnkey with instructions to wire up.......just what I am looking for!

I'm happy to outfit your cluster for you, see below.

Note, however, that I can only handle the "behind the firewall" bits. For the mechanical setup, you'll still need to run the oil line and temp capillary tube, and remove the stock senders. For the electrical setup, you'll need to replace the stock senders and possibly run new wires (in some cases I bet you can reuse the stock wiring, but the aftermarket senders have more terminals so you have to run some new wires anyway).

how much ?

Tell me how much and where to send the money!

x2!!! and when will they be available? :hmm:

I have an RFQ out to have more brackets cut (waterjet) - initially I only made this one so I could make sure everything lines up properly - so I can't give you an exact cost until I know what my costs are....

But... based on what the prototype cost me and what my waterjet guy charges for my simpler radio pod brackets, here is my guess of how the prices will fall:

Brackets only $40-60
Brackets with LEDs and EL wire $60-90
Brackets, LEDs/EL wire, and Mechanical gauge set ~$115-145
Brackets, LEDs/EL wire, and Electrical gauge set ~$155-190

(I'd say its most likely that the price will fall towards the cheaper end of these ranges)

And if you want to send me your cluster and have me put it all together for you, lets call that $25.

Looks very good and I think your going to get a lot of business out if this one.

Ive got an old cluster I can send you for testing. PM me your addy and I'll ship it off...

I can you send my gauge to work with tomorrow if you like. My rig is still being finished so I don't need it for a while.

Let me know, I would be wanting the full setup with the EL lights and mech.
Jeremy

You have compounded my feelings of inadequacy. I assume I can send you the bill for my counciling? Or you could just send me a set and we'll call it even.

Nice job.:clap:

For those wanting Amps instead of Volts, the Autometer 2347 is a short sweep mechanical cluster with Amps that ranges +/- 60. Auto Meter

Last edited:
What is considered new and old for the cluster?
I have a 71 but the cluster has turn signals in the cluster like what you show, Would that be a newer cluster?!?
Also what kind of time frame are you looking at for me to send you mine and have you put it together, I like the LED's but not really interested in the electroluminescent wire rope, Unless ist a HUGE improvement and not a huge cost.

For those wanting Amps instead of Volts, the Autometer 2347 is a short sweep mechanical cluster with Amps that ranges +/- 60. Auto Meter

Wow, good find, thanks!!!

What is considered new and old for the cluster?
I have a 71 but the cluster has turn signals in the cluster like what you show, Would that be a newer cluster?!?

Now there is a good question. As I understood it, the big difference between clusters was the connector on the back. Are you saying there is a turn signal difference too?

Also what kind of time frame are you looking at for me to send you mine and have you put it together, I like the LED's but not really interested in the electroluminescent wire rope, Unless ist a HUGE improvement and not a huge cost.

There won't be any cost delta for LEDs vs EL wire - white LEDs aren't cheap.

As for timeframe - brackets take a week from the time I order them. I *think* that I won't have to mod the brackets for the older clusters, but even if I do, the worst case would be ~10 days after I get an example cluster I can have stuff ready to go.

I have an old cluster too...'68. Very interested, so don't leave us old guys hanging.

I won't. You probably have the oldest cluster in the bunch ('68), where are the turn signal flashers located?

Nicely Done

Way to Go
funmtr.jpeg

Where to send?

Where to send my cluster? Have you got that arranged yet? This is just to Cool on all counts.

Very cool, very.

Re: cluster differences (shooting from the memory here). Yes there are turn signal differences. On the roughly E-72 dashes, the turn signal indicators were separate bulbs off the side of the actual gauge cluster, similar to the 4WD indicator light instead of the integrated arrows in the speedo. 70-73 was still the two plugs on the back, 73 and later went to the circuit board with the single "round" pin out plug. There is no reason this couldn't be made to work with either though splicing may be necessary on the round pin models? Then of course is the screw speedo cable from E-9/72' and clip on 10/72' and later.

If you need a demo cluster with the screw style, LMK and I'd be happy to work something out with you.

Last edited:
Where to send my cluster? Have you got that arranged yet? This is just to Cool on all counts.

As soon as I get my pricing settled out I'll take orders and send you my address. Shouldn't be long, I'll bug my waterjet guy tomorrow.

Very cool, very.

Re: cluster differences (shooting from the memory here). Yes there are turn signal differences. On the roughly E-70 dashes, the turn signal indicators were separate bulbs off the side of the actual gauge cluster, similar to the 4WD indicator light instead of the integrated arrows in the speedo. 70-73 was still the two plugs on the back, 73 and later went to the circuit board with the single "round" pin out plug. There is no reason this couldn't be made to work with either though splicing may be necessary on the round pin models? Then of course is the screw speedo cable from E-9/72' and clip on 10/72' and later.

If you need a demo cluster with the screw style, LMK and I'd be happy to work something out with you.

Good info. Mr. Greek is sending me a 69 cluster, I'm sure I can figure something out. Will post pics when I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom