Advice please - FJ62 Taking an 1,800 mile road trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EscapeWagon62

SILVER Star
Threads
Well it looks like I’ll be relocating from Houston soon with a likely destination of New England.

Like in the military where a parachute rigger can be directed to jump out of a plane in a chute they packed (quality assurance)...I’ve decided to drive cross country after completing everything I think the truck needed during my build. We’ll see if my mechanical skills get me there.
Builds - The Escape Wagon Build

Any advice on what to carry for repair? I already plan on:
- basic tools (screwdrivers, sockets, pliers, vice grips, pipe wrench)
- basic fluids (oil, brake, coolant, trans fluid)
- zip ties
- electrical and duct tape
- bike pump

Any other recommendations appreciated.

Tools, fluids, belts, a fusible link and a spare alternator.

That’s all I’ve had and I made it it 1000miles home with an alternator that sounded like death.

A good rule of thumb is, whatever you bring... you won’t need. What lever you forgot, will be the only tool that can save your ass.
@CaptClose you probably just nailed it. @HemiAlex grest advice, I’ll probably just bring a spare just in case.

It’ll be a month or so before I depart but I’ll post up a thread with photos along the way.

Cheers.

Your triple AAA card
IMG_5934.JPG

If you still have the smog pump, carry a spare smog pump or delete pulley and an extra belt. If it seizes (noted by loud screaming of a locked up fan belt with the crank pulley still turning followed by a thump thump thump of the thrown belt) pull over quickly and turn off the motor.

Check your fluids when you stop for gas. Look under the truck too for leaks.

Keep an eye on your temp gauge and your oil pressure gauge. Early detection of spiked gauge can literally save your engine.

Looks like a nice 62. Just get in and drive it like normal. Miles are miles.

@CaptClose you probably just nailed it. @HemiAlex grest advice, I’ll probably just bring a spare just in case.

It’ll be a month or so before I depart but I’ll post up a thread with photos along the way.

Cheers.

I say this because I had an alternator noise that developed on the first leg of a 1000 stint, then worsened on the trail. I found a Napa outside of aspen that said they had my correct alternator. I picked it up and it was the wrong clocking, placing the regulator at 2 o clock and it had the wrong pulley. We decided to drive it until the noise was high pitched and a bearing failure.

It made it back to Texas with terrible noises. Swapped it the day after.

My point is, just because they say parts exist for these trucks at most parts houses...they may be wrong. Don't bet on the parts being what they say.

I also bring fuel filters and plugs.

Oil plug handled but thank you!

good, anecdotally those seem to go on long highway trips. I know you've done a trans cooler (and much more) from your build thread. Other than checking fluids and the usual items I wouldn't stress that much.

I'm taking a similarly lengthy trip this summer so I'm watching this thread to see what others say. Planning on fluids, small tool kit, duct tape, bailing wire, possibly a smog pump (just bought one to have rebuilt as a spare), and tbd

As long as you’re taking suggestions, have you checked your tie rod ends?

Take a different vehicle to drive in the winter so you can store the 62 inside away from the salt. Otherwise prepare to watch your Cruiser die an awful cancerous death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom