Just got my FJ62! Excited but don't know s***, any and all advice welcomed!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, I've just joined and already finding so much awesome information, seems like an amazing community so first of all I would like to thank you for having me.

I really am new to these trucks, prior to this I've only ever owned a Mitsubishi Challenger and I loved it so now I have a FJ62 I'm pumped to learn and make this the project of a lifetime.

The fuel efficiency is really bad and although this is common I'm wondering what could be contributing to this? What should I be checking.

It's only got 168k on the clock, it was a hidden gem I stumbled onto and I'm only just starting to see it's true potential, so any and all advice is welcomed.

Thank you all!

P_20240210_165302.jpg

Hi All, I've just joined and already finding so much awesome information, seems like an amazing community so first of all I would like to thank you for having me.

I really am new to these trucks, prior to this I've only ever owned a Mitsubishi Challenger and I loved it so now I have a FJ62 I'm pumped to learn and make this the project of a lifetime.

The fuel efficiency is really bad and although this is common I'm wondering what could be contributing to this? What should I be checking.

It's only got 168k on the clock, it was a hidden gem I stumbled onto and I'm only just starting to see it's true potential, so any and all advice is welcomed.

Thank you all!

View attachment 3554760
I’ve been driving fj62 for about 4 years, all the while restoring it. Mechanically in tough shape when I bought it, and now have it running like a top. I’ll have advice on just about any topic. Let’s start with a question, what AVG gas mileage are you getting , ratio of city and highway?

I’ve been driving fj62 for about 4 years, all the while restoring it. Mechanically in tough shape when I bought it, and now have it running like a top. I’ll have advice on just about any topic. Let’s start with a question, what AVG gas mileage are you getting , ratio of city and highway?
I couldn't tell you sorry, just picked it up today haha but I was told it's pretty bad ATM. Not sure if I'm going about it the right way but was looking at first replacing all the vacuum hoses? And get new plugs and leads.

Bit overwhelmed but figured I would start with the fuel efficiency as that's what I was told was a potential problem, I could be going about it all wrong 😕😔🤔

Apologies I can't offer much information I'm literally brand new to this.

Welcome! Best place to start would be a proper tune-up with dizzy rotor, cap, leads and spark plugs. Also, jack up each corner and just see if it feels like the brakes are dragging or there's something wrong with the wheel bearings or something like that. If everything checks out, do some driving and see what she gets milage -wise.

Also, you've probably picked this up if you've been reading the forum for a bit, but get genuine or OEM parts, parts-store aftermarket parts don't work well on these trucks.

I couldn't tell you sorry, just picked it up today haha but I was told it's pretty bad ATM. Not sure if I'm going about it the right way but was looking at first replacing all the vacuum hoses? And get new plugs and leads.

Bit overwhelmed but figured I would start with the fuel efficiency as that's what I was told was a potential problem, I could be going about it all wrong 😕😔🤔

Apologies I can't offer much information I'm literally brand new to this.
I have 31/10.50 tires on mine which isn’t helping, and I have desmoged my engine to bump up power, also not helping, but I get about 10 mpg . These rigs are not know for fuel efficiency to say the least.

These engines can be finicky and typically need occasional adjustments to bring it back to spec, so you are spot on with testing the AFM and adjusting it back to spec if needed. My AFM is getting fairly worn and will need to be remanded or replaced at some point in the near future. I have to recalibrate a few times a year at this point. The internal coppers contact points wear down over time allowing it to start slowly fall out of spec. When I start feeling a lag in acceleration from a stop, and as I give it more pedal it starts to lurches forward as it gets going , I know it’s time to get out the multi-meter and feeler gages.

I’d address these points, in this order:

Check the air filter is in good shape.

Clean and inspect plugs, make sure the gappings are to spec .

Confirm the O2 sensor is working properly, and test for exhaust leaks. Pay close attention to the headers, they are know to rust out.

Check that the fuel lines are in good shape with no leaks. don’t forget the fuel vaper trap inside the rear passenger side fender.

Confirm the engine advancement is to spec. My engine runs its best with the advancement increased over spec a bit.

Test that the injectors are mechanically working, then clean they.

Test the AFM, recalibrate if needed.

I have 31/10.50 tires on mine which isn’t helping, and I have desmoged my engine to bump up power, also not helping, but I get about 10 mpg . These rigs are not know for fuel efficiency to say the least.

These engines can be finicky and typically need occasional adjustments to bring it back to spec, so you are spot on with testing the AFM and adjusting it back to spec if needed. My AFM is getting fairly worn and will need to be remanded or replaced at some point in the near future. I have to recalibrate a few times a year at this point. The internal coppers contact points wear down over time allowing it to start slowly fall out of spec. When I start feeling a lag in acceleration from a stop, and as I give it more pedal it starts to lurches forward as it gets going , I know it’s time to get out the multi-meter and feeler gages.

I’d address these points, in this order:

Check the air filter is in good shape.

Clean and inspect plugs, make sure the gappings are to spec .

Confirm the O2 sensor is working properly, and test for exhaust leaks. Pay close attention to the headers, they are know to rust out.

Check that the fuel lines are in good shape with no leaks. don’t forget the fuel vaper trap inside the rear passenger side fender.

Confirm the engine advancement is to spec. My engine runs its best with the advancement increased over spec a bit.

Test that the injectors are mechanically working, then clean they.

Test the AFM, recalibrate if needed.
Awesome that's mate!! I appreciate the detailed response. Re the AMF and the points a lot of what I've been reading has pointed me to the following type kits, what are your thoughts on this to avoid wear on the points?

ignitor II Kit - Coil and Bundle

Welcome.
1. I suggest focusing on safety items first. Mileage improvements won't be worth much if safety features are compromised.

2. Read, read and read some more. Many of the build threads are helpful as they focus on various integrated sections and systems.

3. Enjoy.

Awesome that's mate!! I appreciate the detailed response. Re the AMF and the points a lot of what I've been reading has pointed me to the following type kits, what are your thoughts on this to avoid wear on the points?

ignitor II Kit - Coil and Bundle

This type of electronic ignition is a healthy upgrade for sure. In fact, I’m going to order one myself!

However , I was referring to the points inside the housing of the AMF. The AMF has a small, very analog style circuit board inside with several copper contact points along with a rolled spring loaded gear.

A quick mult-meter test of the AMF will tell you if it’s not calibrated properly. You will have to take the AMF off to be able to bench test it

Buy a Haynes Repair Manual, it details the AFM testing progress along with the related specs, and method for recalibrating. You’ll need this manual for many other repair and maintenance institution down the road.

Just for the record, I assume this is an Aussie spec FJ62 that would have a carby-fed 3F, we didn't get EFI in a 60. There isn't an AFM or other associated EFI items to deal with here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom