Advice on a restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Long time reader of the forum but new poster! Hope you’re all well.

I’d love to get some advice on a prospective 60 purchase, I’ve connected with a guy who has a few for sale, but they’re suffering from some fairly significant rust issues.

Are they salvegeable? How much would you pay for either the red / white or patina?

Thanks guys.

IMG_3270.jpeg

IMG_3267.jpeg

IMG_3360.jpeg

IMG_3218.jpeg

IMG_3207.jpeg

Hi all,

Long time reader of the forum but new poster! Hope you’re all well.

I’d love to get some advice on a prospective 60 purchase, I’ve connected with a guy who has a few for sale, but they’re suffering from some fairly significant rust issues.

Are they salvegeable? How much would you pay for either the red / white or patina?

Thanks guys.

View attachment 3387392

View attachment 3387393

View attachment 3387394

View attachment 3387395

View attachment 3387397
Those have some serious rust issues. If the frame is ok and not rusted through and you wanted a rig to beat up then possibly. However with that much visible rust I bet there is a lot going on underneath.

That is a tough question given the pictures. A deep assessment is needed to evaluate extent of deep rust deterioration vs surface rust. Especially in frame and principle support structures like A and B pillars.

Will YOU be doing the work or paying someone? Is this a project to learn on or do you have the skills and tools already? What’s your total budget and timeframe? What’s your end goal and use?
I wouldn’t pick one of those if you’ve never done rust repair. (From those pics I don’t think I’d pick one of those and I’ve done lots of rust repair). I always look for something with the least rust possible to start with because you will be time and money ahead (potentially lots of both). Rust is like an iceberg: you are only seeing what’s above the surface. Once you start stripping paint you are going to find a lot more.
Saving a couple thousand now on a deal that’s rusty will easily cost way more later. Not just in the actual rust repair either, but extras like rusty bumpers, broken bolts, rusted exhaust, seat mounts, brackets, light housings, etc.
It’s sad to say, but some rigs are too far gone and just worth being parted out or used as a trail rig.

What he said 👆 Buy the least rusty one you can find. All UK ones will be rusted in the rear wheel arches and sills, at least or have been repaired. Getting repair panels is not cheap, you will probably have to get them from abroad. The 2H is a slow old engine but reliable. The 12HT is much more useable but wasn't sold in the UK. Available from Japan or Australia in the HJ61 where rust is less of a problem.

I'm pretty sure my rig is in better shape than any of those and I was given it for free, so I can't recommend paying for one of those and the sinking they money to restore it.

Unless all you want is a close to home trail beater, then maybe a few hundred bucks to a thousand or so if it runs.

As someone who's done extensive rust repair on a 60 series wagon, my advice is to run the other way. It's the rust you can't see will kill you: floor pans, wheel wells, roof and drip rails, cross members, body mounts, etc. As someone has said, those are parts rigs, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom