Added power rear vent windows in my GX470. First world problem solved! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This has been on my wish list for the GX since we got it nearly 6 years ago, lol! Great work!

Two used motors bought from eBay....so I'll be in for probably double what @MightyBombJAC spent when done. I've been bothered by these manual windows since I bought my GX ~2.5 years ago, never occurred to me this could be upgraded. AWESOME!!!!!

Last edited:
Could these bee the same motors used in the Sienna?

Part # 85770-60020 only correlates to 100 series LC's and LX470's. Not to say the Sienna version wouldn't also work, but they are not the same part.

Ok, so I just bought 2 motors and 2 OEM LX switches. (Don’t ask how much unless you want to be mad at me). So are you saying the motors will pretty much bolt right in? I just take the existing clamp off and secure the motor to the window bracket?

Also, with the OEM switches, will I still need to use relays?

Just need to connect the switches to switched power and a ground and run 2 wires to each motor?

I think you can do it either way. The relay would just add a control circuit to allow it only to work with whatever other circuit you want to control it with (ignition, etc).

Ok, so I just bought 2 motors and 2 OEM LX switches. (Don’t ask how much unless you want to be mad at me). So are you saying the motors will pretty much bolt right in? I just take the existing clamp off and secure the motor to the window bracket?

Also, with the OEM switches, will I still need to use relays?

Just need to connect the switches to switched power and a ground and run 2 wires to each motor?
Hey, hope you didn’t have to pay too much for the motors. Regardless of what switches you use, you will still need to use the relays to make it work. The problem is that one motor wire has to be grounded while the other gives the voltage to open, then it must be reversed to close. You can’t just wire it to give one wire 12V from one side of the switch, then 12V from the other. The second wire won’t be grounded, so it won’t operate.

Also, if you want them to run independent with the 2 switches, you will have to get 2 sets of relays. That’s why I just ran both motors off 1 set of relays.

Hope that all makes sense.

Hey, hope you didn’t have to pay too much for the motors. Regardless of what switches you use, you will still need to use the relays to make it work. The problem is that one motor wire has to be grounded while the other gives the voltage to open, then it must be reversed to close. You can’t just wire it to give one wire 12V from one side of the switch, then 12V from the other. The second wire won’t be grounded, so it won’t operate.

Also, if you want them to run independent with the 2 switches, you will have to get 2 sets of relays. That’s why I just ran both motors off 1 set of relays.

Hope that all makes sense.

Ok, that makes sense. When they come in I will play around with them. I will actually probably end up doing one switch as well...that just seems easier.

I was able to snag the switches and both motors for $20. :)

I will report back once I get everything....I will definitely need some wiring help. I can wire stuff but relays always confuse me.

Ok, that makes sense. When they come in I will play around with them. I will actually probably end up doing one switch as well...that just seems easier.

I was able to snag the switches and both motors for $20. :)

I will report back once I get everything....I will definitely need some wiring help. I can wire stuff but relays always confuse me.
$20? That’s awesome! I felt $100 for both was too much. I just couldn’t find them anywhere else. Let me know if you need anything

Double turds! I got the motors in and one of them is missing the plastic piece that connects to the actual window. Geez. No way I can find just that part.

eBay....but without that piece the one motor is useless....unless I can figure out a way to attach it to the window. Anyone have a 3D printer?? ;)

I’ll be doing this too thanks to the OP. I’ve got a line on the motors and the switches but after Re-reading the post I see it might be better to do it with one switch. Do you know if the lx switch is a 3 position switch? I’m thinking it’s not so I’ll have to decide how to proceed. Stuff should arrive next week!

I’ll be doing this too thanks to the OP. I’ve got a line on the motors and the switches but after Re-reading the post I see it might be better to do it with one switch. Do you know if the lx switch is a 3 position switch? I’m thinking it’s not so I’ll have to decide how to proceed. Stuff should arrive next week!
The lx switch is 3 position open/neutral/close

I have a 3 position sienna switch that I’m going to put in the rear door so can operate them from the front or back. The way I have it wired, if you ground the white wire they will operate. I was even operating them by touching one of the white wires on the head of a bolt. And you can attach as many ground switches as you want to that white wire and it will operate by grounding any one of them.

Just remember, if you give one side voltage, the other has to be grounded. That’s why you can’t just wire it 12v on each side through a switch. The other won’t be grounded.

Getting closer to actually doing this. My final components should come this week. Question: what was the best way that you found to route the wires to the back? Just along the doors under the kick plate?

Getting closer to actually doing this. My final components should come this week. Question: what was the best way that you found to route the wires to the back? Just along the doors under the kick plate?
Yep, that’s how I did it. There is a factory wire channel under the kick plate that I used.

"Sounds like a trip to pick a part is needed to snatch some of these and put them on ebay... "

good idea looking at pick and pull, but my experience in over 6 lots in a major city - Lexus trucks are not ever found, and toyota brand trucks/SUVs are picked clean (I mean clean) the day they arrive. A friend that works car auctions said most used LXs and GXs are purchased and sent to the middle east. But I can confirm the Lexus IS330 uses the same sun roof motor as the GX, you need to swap the circuit boards though.

Been too rainy here to do this but I’ve been researching and think I’ve found an alternative way of doing this. I picked up a momentary DPDT on off on rocker switch that reverses the polarity depending on the way the switch is pressed. I’m pretty sure I can wire this in with a 10amp inline fuse and run it straight to the power windows and avoid using the relays. The issue I’m having is finding a good location to mount this giant switch. Using the OPs method you can use any small 3 way switch and run to the relays which I still might do since I can’t find a good mounting location. Anyway, any input, pros or cons, on doing it this way @MightyBombJAC? Here’s some pics of my switch. Not trying to hijack, just thinking about this system and ran into this reverse polarity switch and thought it might be an option.

3EF46932-BA16-46FE-8C54-596025FA07DC.jpeg

D710E7D4-CE12-4FA2-BBA5-4B568BA0188E.jpeg

FA486779-C766-4D93-A04A-D49308A2C3E8.jpeg

Adding my install to this thread just to prove it can be done by someone else! Mine definitely isn’t as clean, but I hope to solder things together later (instead of using crimp connectors). I ended up going the relay route since I wanted to use a smaller connector shown in the first picture. Ran 3 wires to the back. Only 2 are shown because I got ahead of myself and just ran them like they were power wires coming from the switch. Wrong. The connector, as the OP has said more than once, grounds the 2 other terminals, the common is ground in other words, not +12. So I needed to take everything apart again to run the +12 wire to the back alongside the 2 switch wires going to the back

9DA56F3C-2DD1-4B8F-863A-3F1CA0169B6F.jpeg

066AD905-2319-4303-9D29-43FA786AECCA.jpeg

52326434-8D86-40F3-8EB8-938C8AD27717.jpeg

78A4EA3A-EEDA-45B1-9514-FCED27551682.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom