Added power rear vent windows in my GX470. First world problem solved! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It depends on the power location, and the type of switch. And really, the switch location too.

If power is in the rear, and if you use relays in the rear, you could do it with just two wires and your Sienna switch -- one for each relay coil (and ground to truck). And, those wires would be small gauge, since they'd be handling minimal current. That is sort of what I'll be doing.

If power is in the rear, but you want to avoid relays, then you'd need the larger switch, and 4 wires to run from front to rear, and the wires would need to be a little thicker. This would be the most inefficient method, due to the long run from back to front to back again, for 4 wires. Wouldn't be my first choice.

If, however, you want only two wires, and you use power up front near the switch, and you're willing to use the larger switch, then you could also use just two wires. They'd still need to be a little larger gauge, but not as bad ad option#2.

If you do want to use power in the rear, your solution will be simpler if you install the switch in the rear too. Then, no wires to run, as long as you have a power and ground available. That would be the simplest solution, plus you wouldn't need to worry about finding a switch that matches the rest, since there are no other switches back there.

Fwiw, make sure fuses are used. It's important that fuses are installed such that:

a) as close to power source as possible
b) be smallest necessary to handle load, and def *less* than the power handling of any wiring being used. I plan to use approx 2amp fuse for the motors. Even with, say, 20 gauge wire running from front to back, the wire should be able to handle a short and allow the fuse to blow before burning my gx to the ground. I'll have to doublecheck the charts to verify the value, but regardless, this project will be fused.

Constant power or not, does not really impact the solution. Mine will be connected to ignition power like the rest of the windows -- just personal preference. I want to avoid malfunctions causing windows to accidentally open/close when I'm not in the vehicle, or possibly stuck switch causing the battery to die.

So that I am clear... If I already have power and a ground at the back of the truck, all I need is two wires going to the switch?

I also want to do constant power to the motors so that I can move them at any time.

Any idea on this switch what wire goes where?

IMG_3706.JPG

IMG_5711.JPG

That's the same switch I have -- it'll look really nice w/ the other gx470 switches.

I didn't realize you didn't have the wiring harness with the pin numbers -- this is what I found:

1566699929875.png

@MiracleToast So if I am running both motors on this one switch then 3 is grounded? 7/8 go to #85 on the relay?

613BF78A-4EC6-459E-B39D-D7C7E80592B0.jpeg

So don't buy this switch... Unfortunately without major hacking it will not fit the stock GX switch locations. Back to the drawing board.

IMG_2811.JPG

IMG_4971.JPG

IMG_6166.JPG

I'm working on putting the switch in the left cluster.
test_fit_public.jpg

The switch "button" itself is the same size as other switches.. it's just the switch body is too big.

I did have to do some significant grinding to make this work, but it's just about ready. Upside down pic, but you get the idea.

So don't buy this switch... Unfortunately without major hacking it will not fit the stock GX switch locations. Back to the drawing board

Crazy that these are not more standardized.

I think I didn’t do that because I was either worried it wouldn’t clip in or have enough room behind it but I had been planning on using the stock connector in the back with the stock wires. Let us know how it goes. Glad you are more delivery then Me and pulled the whole panel. I got lazy.

Glad to see that others are doing this too. Just an update on mine that I put in earlier this year. They are still working great. I haven’t had a single problem with them. I’ve almost forgot that they aren’t factory.

So nice to have!

So finally started on this this week. Good grief it’s involved the plastic trimming is a pain in the butt. But passenger side is in. Beer time. Also thanks to all for the great wiring diagrams. They are spot on with the switch I have pictured.

Nice! I still haven't installed mine yet. Have all the parts sitting in my garage, just need to find time to actually do it :confused:
It is not a simple done in a few hours deal if you ask me. Its more custom than a simple wiring job. But I am already excited to have the feature.

So took a day but its all up and running I have constant power already in the back and so I used that since this enables me to open and close them whenever. The switch I pictured above.... DONT USE. It took a tone of dremeling to get it to fit. But it does look nice now.

IMG_5102.JPG

So took a day but its all up and running I have constant power already in the back and so I used that since this enables me to open and close them whenever. The switch I pictured above.... DONT USE. It took a tone of dremeling to get it to fit. But it does look nice now.

That looks great!

View attachment 2101550
Hey man, that's the same switch I got for mine. What's the wiring like. What diagram did you use for the switch to work properly? Looks great

That's the same switch I have -- it'll look really nice w/ the other gx470 switches.

I didn't realize you didn't have the wiring harness with the pin numbers -- this is what I found:

View attachment 2066655
@MiracleToast So if I am running both motors on this one switch then 3 is grounded? 7/8 go to #85 on the relay?

View attachment 2067170
Hey man, that's the same switch I got for mine. What's the wiring like. What diagram did you use for the switch to work properly? Looks great

These are the two that I followed. Worked perfectly.

See post #75 for a picture of the switch. But be warned... it takes a lot of trimming to fit in a factory spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom