Added power rear vent windows in my GX470. First world problem solved! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I always hated that the rear vent windows were manual in my GX (I guess I got spoiled in my old LX). Just on a hunch, I looked at pictures of the manual latch from a 100 series and it looked just like the ones I’m my GX so I picked up a LX window motor on eBay. I was right! Bolted right in. Big problem was figuring out how to wire it in. There are only 2 wires from the motor so you have to reverse polarity to make it close. Also, I wanted to make it look factory so I used the height control switch to open and close the window. I made a video of it because it would be too much to write to try to explain how I did it.

50EC42D6-A675-4D9A-AA0A-FE07361C9D35.jpeg

2F3189E9-52E0-49A5-8972-2AB541538A61.jpeg

705B435F-B2DF-4D25-9A2F-6B1725399637.jpeg

613BF78A-4EC6-459E-B39D-D7C7E80592B0.jpeg

This is great!

Thank you, this was on my to-do list before I even bought the truck I just haven't had time to even look into it yet.

Very cool. Does the motor have a built in limit switch?

I always hated that the rear vent windows were manual in my GX (I guess I got spoiled in my old LX). Just on a hunch, I looked at pictures of the manual latch from a 100 series and it looked just like the ones I’m my GX so I picked up a LX window motor on eBay. I was right! Bolted right in. Big problem was figuring out how to wire it in. There are only 2 wires from the motor so you have to reverse polarity to make it close. Also, I wanted to make it look factory so I used the height control switch to open and close the window. I made a video of it because it would be too much to write to try to explain how I did it.

View attachment 1936346

View attachment 1936347

View attachment 1936348

View attachment 1936349

I was complaining about these windows being manual a while back, great job!

Do you have the list of parts and part numbers for this? I want to get this done ASAP.

We use the height control in ours so I will have to figure out another switch.

I was complaining about these windows being manual a while back, great job!

Do you have the list of parts and part numbers for this? I want to get this done ASAP.

We use the height control in ours so I will have to figure out another switch.
I really did like my GX when I switched from a LX, but I just couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t an option to have power vents. It annoyed me because I have my sun roof open most of the time and the vents smooth out the air flow. Don’t know if you watched the whole video, but I’m sure it was the seatbelt that was the issue.

The 2 motors are out of a LX. I got each one on eBay for $50 each. I think the sellers had them listed at $80 something but I submitted an offer of $50 and they took it.

The 2 relays and relay harnesses I picked up at Pep Boys:

Dorman 88069 30 AMP 12 Volt 5 Pin Universal Relay

Novita RS40 relay socket

Like I said, you can use any switch. It just has to be grounded, not powered.

What are the motors officially called? I searched on eBay but couldn’t locate the correct part.

If you have a pre-aux plug model and need a place for a switch, you could do the late model switch panel swap to free up a slot. I already did it in mine but I used the spot for a light switch.

5E1581B7-6442-408F-9A1A-0F99D07D0742.jpeg

Love what you did, however there is only one left on eBay and a new ONE is almost $300. Gonna have to keep eyes peeled for more used ones.......$600 is a bit much to solve said first world problem

Love what you did, however there is only one left on eBay and a new ONE is almost $300. Gonna have to keep eyes peeled for more used ones.......$600 is a bit much to solve said first world problem
Yeah, I’m afraid those motors will go quick on eBay for a while. When I first started looking(2 weeks ago), there were at least 6 or seven and they had probably sat on there for ever. People must be buying them up now. Keep your eye out. I’m under $130 into it and it’s well worth that price. I had the wire, solder, and connectors sitting around. Next weekend I plan to add a switch inside the rear door or just inside the door on the quarter panel.

I cross linked to GXOR. It is likely they will be out of stock for a while lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom