Adapt FJ40 Heater Valve to 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just some idle thought as I'm collecting parts to overhaul my cooling system... I know that people hate the plastic heater valve mounted to the firewall, so I wonder if anyone has tried to adapt the all-metal FJ40 heater valve?

20180117210407-afcaf22e.jpg

(that picture was stolen off 'mud and rotate 90 degrees)

I have no idea which way the valve moves or how long its stroke is. I also don't know if it would pass enough coolant, or whether the curved outlet would interfere with something.

original style replacements are available for around $40 so why re-invent the wheel? The seem to hold up just fine. I carry a spare replacement for those unfortunate soles who have their original valve fail on the trail. 15 minute fix.

Well, I don't particularly like that the valve is plastic. And there are an awful lot of cooling-related threads on 'mud where people express a similar preference.

My thought is that since the original lasted 20 years for most people and their 80's.. why is that a problem? Other question can you still get a new 40 series valve or do you have to refurb an old rusty one? As @inkpot stated.. $40 for a new one and 20 years of usage. Besides living in Salem it is not that hot nor extremely cold which could contribute to an early demise for a plastic heater valve.

Mine lasted 20 yrs, but would not have trusted it beyond that. 20 yrs is a long time in the car world.
I bought a new Toyota one and sleep easy. On to the PHH.

Ok and why add more problems, how are you going to mount this , everyone wants to be an engineer :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

My thought is that since the original lasted 20 years for most people and their 80's.. why is that a problem? Other question can you still get a new 40 series valve or do you have to refurb an old rusty one? As @inkpot stated.. $40 for a new one and 20 years of usage. Besides living in Salem it is not that hot nor extremely cold which could contribute to an early demise for a plastic heater valve.

87240-60010. Still available. As is diesel iteration: 87240-60031. Both metal.

I guess think about your time vs money. How much time will you spend adapting the fj40 one? If it takes 10 minutes, then it would probably be worth it. If it takes 3 or 4 hours, then I think its just worth to keep a spare handy for only 40 bucks. Every custom thing I try to do ends up taking 2 to 3 times the amount of my anticipated time and money. On the other hand, some people have a desk job during the day, and are bored, so doing custom stuff-even when from a time and financial standpoint doesn't make sense-they do it just to do something or learn something. Which I totally understand.

Of course @beno would have these at his finger tips! When it comes to LandCruisers and 40+ years of parts.. you have no equal! Well maybe CDan :) Truly appreciate your knowledge and expertise. In my case.. YATM (you are the man) who else would be able to plop these new ones down and take a photo. It is one thing to look up a part on some other website and see a drawing.. then throw out the number and hope for the best. It is another to be able to fondle this kind of stuff in the flesh on a daily basis and have a good "feel" for the grand scheme of things 24/7. Plus be able to quote part numbers off the top of their head. As I said.. YATM.. and now I know from seeing the part in a naked state.. it is not something I will pursue for my 80!!

I thought the same thing having a 40 series valve in the garage but put dumb plastic back in. I hate plastic but didn’t feel like figuring out how to make it work.
I also thought of putting a 1/4 turn brass valve in since I don’t run AC.

Those plastic heater control valves are a by product of the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards enacted by Congress in 1975. Because of those standards, auto makes had to start looking for ways to make their cars and trucks more fuel efficient. To meet the ever increasing fuel mileage standards imposed on them each year by our government. They started using electronics to control the engine to get them part of the way to meeting higher fuel mileage standards, but they still needed to reduce weight to get them the rest of the way. That's were all the plastic, carbon fiber, and aluminum parts used come in. As far as those plastic heater control valves used in our trucks go. Most have lasted for over 20 years, seems like a good life span in my book for a plastic part, will a metal one last longer, who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom