Heater control valve problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've just replaced the heater control valve, old one was a bit leaky. Now at the max hot setting it only blows hot air for about 10 seconds before it goes lukewarm. If I turn it down to full cold then back to full hot it does the same thing again. Anyone any thoughts as to why it's doing this?

Check that the heat control valve was installed correctly (don't think it's possible not to however), then check the cable connection to the valve lever to see if it moves the valve in the correct directions when you move the HVAC temp control slider.

Check that the heat control valve was installed correctly (don't think it's possible not to however), then check the cable connection to the valve lever to see if it moves the valve in the correct directions when you move the HVAC temp control slider.
Thanks. It's definitely installed correctly and the cable moves the valve correctly as well. My thinking is it needs a good flush. The coolant is a nasty colour and hasn't been done for probably 5 years.

Sounds like the blend door. I'd check the solenoid and motor (details are in the FSM; there's an excerpt just for this HVAC section in the Resources section). It's unlikely the coolant has anything to do with the problem, unless you've got a massive plug in there.

Thanks. It's definitely installed correctly and the cable moves the valve correctly as well. My thinking is it needs a good flush. The coolant is a nasty colour and hasn't been done for probably 5 years.
What brand and part number valve did you purchase?

What uyear and model is your truck?

There are at least two valve that I'm aware of and they will bolt in the same place but operate differently. Since you're in Ireland, we need more info.

What brand and part number valve did you purchase?

What uyear and model is your truck?

There are at least two valve that I'm aware of and they will bolt in the same place but operate differently. Since you're in Ireland, we need more info.
Genuine Toyota for a 97 1HDFT diesel, part number was 87240-60170

Sorry, part number was 87240-60170
If you had Toyota or partsouq provide your part number, then you're probably good.

The differences are early (1991-1992) vs Late (1993-2006) and the valves operate the opposite direction of each other for open/close.

I think your diagnosis should point to the blend door.

Depending on version, some models got the auto temp control setup and have a separate computer module that controls this.

I'm not sure on those, but @OGBeno is the master.

If you had Toyota or partsouq provide your part number, then you're probably good.

The differences are early (1991-1992) vs Late (1993-2006) and the valves operate the opposite direction of each other for open/close.

I think your diagnosis should point to the blend door.

Depending on version, some models got the auto temp control setup and have a separate computer module that controls this.

I'm not sure on those, but @OGBeno is the master.
Many thanks - what/where is the blend door? Downloaded the FSM and couldn't see it

And I should have said it was working perfectly before I changed the valve 🙄
Then go back to the original one and confirm operation direction and make sure you didn't bump or disconnect something you shouldn't have.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom