ACSD Removal 1HD-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have your kit on the work bench. Thanks for putting them together.
What I am asking is - any known problems from replacing the ACDS with a new OEM part? It's clearly more expensive than the delete option but does retain function. If original part lasted that long, I don't see any harm in replacing the assembly with new.
IMO, there is no way I would want to install a new one after taking the old one out. Fiddly enough getting it out. One less part to cause an issue. Temperatures here in Central Ohio rarely get below 20F (unlike Cleveland) so I am going to chance it. I asked in another thread what causes the ACSD mechanism to fail? Too many starts in cold temps? Poor design?

Dennis - Did you decide to do your build with ACDS deleted? I already have one on hand. Great price for someone looking for a spare/replacement.
Yes, i decided to delete it. Originally i was gonna replace it with the new unit (that's why i bought it), but then i decided that it would be useless to me anyway, since i never use/drive the truck in the winter. So i opted to delete it mainly for the cleaner look/more room in the IP area. I wasn't really concerned with the brand new unit failing.

I had a change in direction with this - Since the ACDS is still available new from Toyota at $223 USD, I will replace it instead of deleting.
Original lasted, without failure, for 26 years. We experience and travel to various climates so having this feature is great. Talk me out of it.

View attachment 3385415
Its a part that has a record of ocassional fails. It raises the idle for a few minutes: you can do this with your throttle lock cable or your foot.

That ocassional ACSD failure costs ~$6k+, l am guessing? New IP, injectors, lots of labor/tuning.

Its a part that has a record of ocassional fails. It raises the idle for a few minutes: you can do this with your throttle lock cable or your foot.

That ocassional ACSD failure costs ~$6k+, l am guessing? New IP, injectors, lots of labor/tuning.
Well it advances the timing a bit to help with smoke and cold starts

Removed and replaced with new. Original had 250k KM on it.
This is off a LHD. The swap took just under an hour. Replaced the o-ring with new oem. Like others have said, you loose a small amount of diesel and coolant.

IMG_6872.jpeg

IMG_6869.jpeg

IMG_6870.jpeg

The 1 HD-T starts and runs fine without the ACSD, remember this is a direct injection engine so does not even need the glow plugs, but they are there anyway.

Removed mine circa ten years ago? Coldest start was IIRC -8°C, and that was using a 12 volt starter after removing the 24 volt system.

Regards

Dave

The 1 HD-T starts and runs fine without the ACSD, remember this is a direct injection engine so does not even need the glow plugs, but they are there anyway.

Removed mine circa ten years ago? Coldest start was IIRC -8°C, and that was using a 12 volt starter after removing the 24 volt system.

Regards

Dave
Dave - Good to know your experience with the delete. I guess I can add data to the group with an installed ACDS over time. Maybe I will delete it in 2050.

Dave - Good to know your experience with the delete. I guess I can add data to the group with an installed ACDS over time. Maybe I will delete it in 2050.

Having been a mechanic with my own business both in the UK and Spain for more years than I can remember, along with the various mods on my own HDJ 80 (electric engine cooling fan, changed 24 volts to 12 volts, and of course the ACSD for example) at least there is a bundle of experience and factual information behind my posts to offer, certainly none of 'this might work' or 'I heard about a guy who did this or that'. 👌

Regards

Dave.

Great thread, thanks to all who contributed. I have a 1HZ-T outfitted with a ACSD and oil cooler plate from a 1HD-T. I'm guessing with the Thermo Wax and diaphragm cover this is an injector pump off a 1HDT I'm a huge fan of having less parts, so I will be removing this part. Wiring and brake lines are super sloppy and next on my list...
20231012_173001.jpg
20231012_220203.jpg

Great thread, thanks to all who contributed. I have a 1HZ-T outfitted with a ACSD and oil cooler plate from a 1HD-T. I'm guessing with the Thermo Wax and diaphragm cover this is an injector pump off a 1HDT I'm a huge fan of having less parts, so I will be removing this part. Wiring and brake lines are super sloppy and next on my list...View attachment 3455554View attachment 3455555
The top diaphragm from a 1HDT fits the 1HZ pump, which is hopefully what the PO did. Never just bolt up a 1HDT pump to a 1HZ, the pump pressure is too high.

Great insight. Hopefully that's what previous motor owner did.

There's a whole lot of brand new shiny parts on that pump and engine!

Is the previous owner able to give you any insight into what was done with the injection system?

Its possible to build a lot of 1hd-t features onto a 1hz pump. Housings are essentially the same, so things like the boost compensator, and ACSD would be able to be added.

Last edited:
Great thread, thanks to all who contributed. I have a 1HZ-T outfitted with a ACSD and oil cooler plate from a 1HD-T. I'm guessing with the Thermo Wax and diaphragm cover this is an injector pump off a 1HDT I'm a huge fan of having less parts, so I will be removing this part. Wiring and brake lines are super sloppy and next on my list...View attachment 3455554View attachment 3455555
i like this picture it looks mint!!!

Hi!

My HDJ80 saw it's ACSD removed, my mechanic took it off and along with it also the AC idle thing.

Since then I've noticed a couple of things, the cold start smoke is the same while idling, it's making a different sound like thumping in the intake and the 80 feels lighter... I've been thinking about it could all these be timing related?

Cheers

Hi!

My HDJ80 saw it's ACSD removed, my mechanic took it off and along with it also the AC idle thing.

Since then I've noticed a couple of things, the cold start smoke is the same while idling, it's making a different sound like thumping in the intake and the 80 feels lighter... I've been thinking about it could all these be timing related?

Cheers
The service manual states different static timing settings depending on if the ACSD is installed
Screenshot_20240101-002131.png

I only have information for the L series engine but I assume it is similar for your engine.

After removing ACSD. A slight advanced timing may be required. If your pump is warn the specifications can be off still.

Not sure why you removed AC idle up but if you don’t have AC then go for it.

I kept the idle up bracket and connected a choke cable so I can manually raise the idle. There's a picture a few pages back.

Thank you all for your feedback and a happy new year.

can someone explain how the ACSD works? i understand it uses thermowax via coolant temperature, but does that little black arm engage something inside the IP to change the timing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom