ACC Rear Door Tire Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those not on FB they released a mount to carry your spare on the rear door. Many of us have been waiting excitedly for this offer. https://www.accgarage.com/gx470/becky
IMG-3478.JPG

I have had ACC do work on past trucks and can speak personally to their quality and service. Unfortunately the price point was double what most expected.

I have my eyes on this for sure. Need to see the rest of the kit first and how it installs. The FB group post has turned into an "armchair engineers" debate. Definitely tons of speculation. Hope the install pictures yield positive results.

As far as the price, I will gladly pay for quality, well engineered work over the cheapest route possible.

Got to go to the store and get me some more popcorn.:beer:

Very interesting. However, at $1,000, I’d sooner buy a rear bumper with tire carrier.
Yeah I think the price is just too high. They will sell a few at that price. If they had come in low they would have sold a 1000.

See it will depend on the rest of the design as to if that price is fair or not. Right now I would agree its high but have not seen the rest of the parts for the full install.

I have been around too many swingout bumpers and seen how they fail. Especially single hinge mounts. I prefer this if its done right. We shall see.

Just wondering if a door not designed to have a wheel mounted is strong enough to have a wheel mounted. If the hinges are the same part number as the Prado that should answer the question about the hinges being able to take the extra weight. The price for me also. Its going to limit sales imo but that will be determined. Personally I would rather have it on the door vs a swing out from a bumper. If it works it could open up the door to less expensive bumpers wo swingouts.

Just wondering if a door not designed to have a wheel mounted is strong enough to have a wheel mounted. If the hinges are the same part number as the Prado that should answer the question about the hinges being able to take the extra weight. The price for me also. Its going to limit sales imo but that will be determined. Personally I would rather have it on the door vs a swing out from a bumper. If it works it could open up the door to less expensive bumpers wo swingouts.
The hinges are the same on Prado and GX470. I confurmed that yesterday with an Prado group in AU. Not sure about latch side yet.

ACC is saying that with the door closed the mount holds all the weight of the wheel/tire and mount itself. So no extra stress on the hinges while moving. I have a suspicion on how they did that but need to see the rest of the install kit first.

The hinges are the same on Prado and GX470. I confurmed that yesterday with an Prado group in AU. Not sure about latch side yet.

ACC is saying that with the door closed the mount holds all the weight of the wheel/tire and mount itself. So no extra stress on the hinges while moving. I have a suspicion on how they did that but need to see the rest of the install kit first.
Sounds like a solid product then.

Agreed about only seeing part of the picture right now...... i would like to see the complete install kit ... or even better installed pics showing the details..... then i can decide if its worth the grand or not....i can understand them not wanting to show that for fear of someone stealing their design ........but it would have to have some well designed and significant inside the door bracing for me to spring that kind of dough.

A grand is way too steep.
I think that’s the general agreed thought. Unless there is a lot more to it we don’t see. But it’s hard to justify for just a tire carrier when you are half way to a full rear bumper money wise.

There is a lot more than what you see. I have been in person with the ACC GX and talked to the owner about his mods and how the kit was put together and tested. The reinforcement, the supports for the door when closed, etc. There is a lot more going on here and a seemingly simple "bracket" is just a red herring for a really elegant solution with a lot of behind the scenes (and well integrated) engineering.

I have been waiting for something like this, but there is no way I can justify that price point no matter how well designed it is. Sadly, it is exactly what I want.

One thing to consider is the possibility of cracking the door seam, the back door on my beater GX is cracked at the seam and it has never had any extra weight on it. I believe it cracked from swinging open hard, but I can't confirm it. I would still put my spare on the door of my good rig, but I am ok with possibility of damage. The hinges are not the issue, but when the seam splits the door will sag and be harder to close.

It is my opinion that this unit is not the right solution. I see way too many red flags for me to even consider it.
Also, at that price point, why not add another $1000.00 and get a rear bumper.

I hope they prove me wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom