ACC Rear Door Tire Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is right along the lines of what I’d like but the price point as others have mentioned is out of my budget. No concerns w/ strength. Prados and FJs have them w/ no real issues other than user error.

So while this is not any official information, here is what I know.

The carrier pictured on the grey truck is the prototype unit. They took an FJ rear tire moint and modified it to fit the GX door. After a good bit of trial and error, the new mount is a completely fabricated unit built for the GX door. The tail that you see hanging down below the tire mount goes all the way to the bottom of the door and when the door closes, this rests on a "pad" to take the weight off the hinges. The mount has some internal bracing that goes along with it that ties the door skin to the internal structure of the door to help spread out the load. (I've not seen it, but is generally how ive had it explained to me by the owner). I do know the picture and post on FB did not give the full picture and I think they plan to release more information this week.

He ran the original FJ setup for nearly a year before revamping it. The new design cleans up a lot of the things he has learned over that time. He also took his truck and has done some off road time with the mount and so-far so-good as far as I know.

There will be load on the door hinges when opened, but only time will tell how that effect the door, but i know that they have gone to great lengths to take all the weight off the door when closed.

Any additional information I happen up on, I will share here. We plan to get one for my wifes GX when they come available.

I am just curious why they put it on the passenger side instead of the drivers side which wouldn’t affect vision as much.
They touched on that. When its released it will be for the drivers side. If I recall correctly he busted the passenger side glass so decided to build a the mount for it instead of replacing it.

Yep shattered that glass. I think the current plan is for a storage box with a door to go in the window location. He also has a wicked awesome tilting fridge slider mount for the rear that I think they are looking at putting out there too. I've seen it in action as well, it's pretty bad A.

Listen I don't have any skin in the game here... I'm probably not spending $1k on a rear tire mount.

But there's just not enough information to question the design yet. I know absent more/better information, you have to wonder if it will work... But I'm very much assuming that there are a ton more parts that are used to reinforce the mount from the first post.

I guess we're in the same boat... Wondering if it will work. What do you think the fatal flaw could be?

I am a retired civil engineer. I see issues with most items these days. Again, I hope they prove me wrong.

I could see myself spending $500 on this. At $1000 I will just save up for a rear bumper that I can carry a spare and propane/scepter fuel cans.

Wait—I like that rear window gas carrier—do they make that too?

Yes they do. They will be releasing that for the driver side with a storage box or roto mount options. May release the PS if there is enough interest.

Yes they do. They will be releasing that for the driver side with a storage box or roto mount options. May release the PS if there is enough interest.
Will that interfere with the antenna? or is that on the passenger side?

I could see myself spending $500 on this. At $1000 I will just save up for a rear bumper that I can carry a spare and propane/scepter fuel cans.
I think we all had hoped that this would be a 400-500 unit. So many of us wanted a rear tire carrier on the door that would not require a full bumper. I am shocked at the price frankly, especially for a brand new untested product. I trust that ACC did quality work and that its built well but to get them out there it would be have been cool to see them offer a discounted initial buy in.

But what I see here now is an opportunity for someone else to develop a carrier that can come in at a better price point and they will sell a ton of them. Just look at the huge interest and how many are talking about this product. ACC has never been budget friendly... HAHA. So its time for someone else who doesn't have the overhead to develop a $500 to your door unit.

Will that interfere with the antenna? or is that on the passenger side?

I think we all had hoped that this would be a 400-500 unit. So many of us wanted a rear tire carrier on the door that would not require a full bumper. I am shocked at the price frankly, especially for a brand new untested product. I trust that ACC did quality work and that its built well but to get them out there it would be have been cool to see them offer a discounted initial buy in.

But what I see here now is an opportunity for someone else to develop a carrier that can come in at a better price point and they will sell a ton of them. Just look at the huge interest and how many are talking about this product. ACC has never been budget friendly... HAHA. So its time for someone else who doesn't have the overhead to develop a $500 to your door unit.
I guess for this product we will see what the market will bear. If ACC sells them like crazy then there is no need for a price adjustment. But if they are sitting on them 6 months from now the price might adjust.

I will be watching this for a number of months before I even consider buying it. Not so much for the price but for the durability of the product design.

I am a retired civil engineer. I see issues with most items these days. Again, I hope they prove me wrong.

Ahh...an engineer, this explains a lot. ;)

Sneak peak.

0504191308.jpg

"Test and tune" sorting out the minor differences from year to year.

More later.

In for more details and experiences with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom