A sad story in pigland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mtpickettwoodworking.com
Some of you will remember this photo from this site quite a few years ago. The photo was also snailmailed to SOR back in the 90s and much to my surprise it ended up in their catalogue. My 15 months of LC fame. That 45 is long gone and so are two others since. The '79 FJ55 is still in my possesion and has been since 1985. Well except for when my ex got it in the divorce. She later gave it to our son who later traded it back to me. By then it was getting rusty from road salt, dirt road mud caked underneath and general neglect. Through the 80s and 90s it had been my pride and joy , getting pampered and scrubbed. Srarting about 2003 or so it became the dirt road warrior that got us up and down our mountain road when it snowed or the road washed out. It remained chained up all year, usually on all 4 corners and never strayed from hubs locked/low range. ... Today it still starts almost instantly no matter how long it sits. The rear brakes take a while til they start rolling but the fronts are always good. I picked up a 71 fj40 for free last winter and thought I would re-enact the old pic, but got too busy so this is close to the same spot on my property. One reason for this post is I am going to scrap the piggys body and keep the frame running and driving for a future project (and there have been dozens of major projects over the years, mostly ancient ford pickups with flathead V8s or cummins conversions etc etc.) The body has a lot of decent parts such as grille and lighting and stainless roof trim, seats, floor mats whatever. I would hate to discard good parts. I hope this isn't looked at as a classified ad, because it isn't. I don't want to pull parts and ship them, but if someone wants to come to Orcas Island they can pull the parts they want and maybe assist this 67 year old guy with some dismantle.
55tow45.jpg
poor old piggy with 40 in tow.JPG
poor old piggy with 40 in tow.JPG
Sad Piggy.JPG
cummins 6at ready.JPG
cummins 6at ready.JPG

smokey 1.JPG

Man I wish I was closer.........

I know, threw all my old catalogs away in the 90's when I got out of Land Cruisers the first time. Boxes of parts, axles, 40 rag top and doors, etc. Now I'm sick thinking about. :bang:

Thanks Dustin

Sent a pm, could use tail lights.
Mike

mmcinnis, I think I sent you a pm, but not sure I know the drill. I am feeling a weird sense of relief letting parts go away. This beloved pig is far too rusty to restore.... well, anything is possible, but it's a a poor candidate to start with. I have sat on the fence for many years. All 4 of my kids learned to drive in this thing. Family trips to Disneyland, Grand Canyon etc pulling a 1962 Aloha travel trailer. (second gear into a headwind on the flat).... But having it gutted would be the incentive to bust out the torch and cuttoff wheel and do the deed. It's internal organs are strong and less than 200k original miles. Once it is just a ladder frame with 4 wheels (factory toyota, duh) It will be a clean slate....

and maybe assist this 67 year old guy with some dismantle.
It would be an honor to own the 4 on your tail gate sir, surrounded with some of the original sheet metal to frame and hang in my office.

Option (1) you cut or have someone cut for you and ship me a 12” square chunk of the tail gate with the 4 in the center’ish somewhere you tell me what that cost and I’ll get you paid right away.

Option (2) You let me know what works best for you and I’ll make time and drive to your place cut the tailgate and spend the rest of the day helping you with whatever you need.

It would be an honor to own the 4 on your tail gate sir, surrounded with some of the original sheet metal to frame and hang in my office.

Option (1) you cut or have someone cut for you and ship me a 12” square chunk of the tail gate with the 4 in the center’ish somewhere you tell me what that cost and I’ll get you paid right away.

Option (2) You let me know what works best for you and I’ll make time and drive to your place cut the tailgate and spend the rest of the day helping you with whatever you need.

What about the entire tailgate?
Not sure if your office real estate would permit this, but if you are driving up there anyway...
Just seems like a shame to cut her up anymore than necessary.
And that way you could answer all the questions that come up about '79 tailgates. You know, scientific research...

man, some don't even have a 4 on their pig, and some people have them displayed on the wall. The haves and have nots.

Just Kidding. It sounds like a cool idea, Jim.

What about the entire tailgate?
Not sure if your office real estate would permit this, but if you are driving up there anyway...
Just seems like a shame to cut her up anymore than necessary.
And that way you could answer all the questions that come up about '79 tailgates. You know, scientific research...
Come git it @J Mack you bring da beers, you bring da beers 🍻 🍺😅😉
20200605_131439.jpg

Tailgate is really not too bad if you can fix the bottom. So you guys saw the panel truck too? That video was made by a hollywood cinematographer that has a waterfront place here on the island, Amongst my other duties I caretake their place. His wife is a director. Back in the day she directed 'Joe Dirt'. Nowadays shes directing episodes of Jack Ryan... The weekend is upon us and I am poised to cut the body off this really nice frame. My plan has been to torch the hinges off to remove the doors. Some have torn out at the bottom when opening the doors and now the doors won't close to latch. If the hinges have value I can save them. Youtube 1947 ford one ton panel truck. Got a torch and not afraid to use it......

I’m the closest I think, and never been to Orcas isle so would be a great road trip, but with the border shut indefinitely I dunno.

Hinges are asked for occasionally so might cut around them :meh:

Langley? I think I bought my first set of 16" split rims in White Rock at a junk yard. They had 3 of em so I bought the 4th one from the dealer in Victoria. What ever happened to the guy in Anacortes Wa (blue and white, early), which is where I disembark from the ferry, who built the fiberglass dash? I think he was right at the ferry landing and I used to look at his rig evertime we went by? I thought somebody local would chime in and part this pig out with me and share anything choice with the rest of the fold. My wife has just made some changes in her life and may have some time on her hands starting on Monday. She could be my shipping clerk and send some parts out where needed. She loved 'Miss Blue' and she had 20 years as a first responder here and is an accomplished welder, the first girl to take the course on Vashon Island in the mid 70s. She will be good to deal with.

rav at wheel.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom