Builds A pig for Father's Day (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1983, 126k kilometers, factory A/C and P/S but no heat. A/C isn't working due at minimum to a missing hose but everything else is there; no idea if it will work though. Given that's it's 5pm in Riyadh and 116F still, I doubt I will be driving it much until I get that sorted. I bought it via calls and videos but haven't actually laid eyes on it yet in person. Supposed to be here later this week. Interior looks all original but I was told the exterior was repainted about 6 months ago. Frame also looks like it's been painted although it's coming from high in the desert mountains so that could be original. My 1994 FZJ75 frame looks like it just came out of the factory so who knows. Here's one last pic taken yesterday at the car souq as we were doing the transaction.

46E8DFB7-D059-4B7F-9357-FCBC83C859D9.jpeg

Fantastic. Great find! How many vehicles are you bringing home with you?
Just two so far. I would still like to find a 96 or 97 80 series with the 5 speed manual. They are around but, like everything, elusive in good condition. I wouldn't want a project 80 so it would have to be more or less perfect for me to pull the trigger. And tan.....

1983, 126k kilometers, factory A/C and P/S but no heat. A/C isn't working due at minimum to a missing hose but everything else is there; no idea if it will work though. Given that's it's 5pm in Riyadh and 116F still, I doubt I will be driving it much until I get that sorted. I bought it via calls and videos but haven't actually laid eyes on it yet in person. Supposed to be here later this week. Interior looks all original but I was told the exterior was repainted about 6 months ago. Frame also looks like it's been painted although it's coming from high in the desert mountains so that could be original. My 1994 FZJ75 frame looks like it just came out of the factory so who knows. Here's one last pic taken yesterday at the car souq as we were doing the transaction.

View attachment 2695986

Looks clean as a mofo from 20 ft!!

Fingers crossed but I’m sure it’s going to have lots of little things that will need attention. Engine sounded great on the videos and transmission seemed to go through the gears smoothly. Suspension looks good. Hopefully little to no bondo as that’s my biggest concern. Shouldn’t be any rust at all given the location.

Fingers crossed but I’m sure it’s going to have lots of little things that will need attention. Engine sounded great on the videos and transmission seemed to go through the gears smoothly. Suspension looks good. Hopefully little to no bondo as that’s my biggest concern. Shouldn’t be any rust at all given the location.

Well it is pretty clean from 2 feet as well. I have checked everywhere with a magnet and all seems good. No unsightly dents, etc. underneath either. I drove it home today and it does 100 km/h comfortably. PS works excellent at low speed but is a little wiggly at high speed. Steering box probably needs some attention.

None of the doors have weatherstripping. I assume they pulled those when they painted it and didn't replace them. Also left rear door won't latch but luckily the fuel can swing out keeps it more or less in place.

All in all I am very pleased.

4E5AA58F-E2BB-4F3C-BE20-85B187A149E6.jpeg

FAC76E85-7AAE-4C2E-AE65-F76678702320.jpeg

B0D173DD-1A93-4177-8D12-37CF87A85865.jpeg

3178D1AC-EE8A-4E4B-87D7-235D0545B52B.jpeg

Real nice! And it's got a large internal volume, so you can fill it full of parts for the ride home, right?
Nice score! Are those period tires still sold new over there?

Speaking of interior volume...does the AC cool any more than the pass knees?

Nice score! Are those period tires still sold new over there?

Speaking of interior volume...does the AC cool any more than the pass knees?
Those tires are more or less new. They have a date code of 2420 which I think means 24th week of 2020. They also have a DOT stamp which the Dunlops on my FZJ75 do not have. I don't have a spare so I need to get a rim ordered and source one more. They are 7.50R16 size; same as the FZJ75.

The A/C isn't working as there is a pipe missing between the compressor and the A/C unit. I knew it was missing when I bought the Troopy. All the other parts appear to be there. No idea if it will work even then but I'm sure it can be made to work.

3F9BDEAC-97F6-4683-A8F8-B1BCDCECB93B.jpeg

Edit: FWIW these tires are Super Swallow, made in Indonesia, as shown in post #3 in this thread: OEM TYRES & RIMS - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/oem-tyres-rims.961776/

Last edited:
So at the risk of belaboring the derailing of my pig thread, I just wanted to share some impressions thus far of the Troopy. These are not from driving as it hasn't moved since I parked it but more in assessing the condition and attempting to source parts. Somehow I have managed in a week to spend half of my $5k budget on parts......amazing to me how much is still available. I guess it's because so much interchanges with the 40.

So the simplicity of this vehicle compared to the 55 is simply night and day. You can easily see how the 4X eventually morphed into the 7X series and how the 55 became the 200 - frankly the die was cast 40+ years ago. Second, as mentioned above, amazing how many OEM parts are still around; even many discontinued parts are available in abundance. Not all parts I need unfortunately so I need to find a Troopy graveyard before I leave the desert. Something to aspire to I suppose.

Brand new dash pad. Maybe if I stuff enough new parts inside it will smell like a new car? :p

CC5E5805-9DB1-46D4-9284-476802DA1766.jpeg

Well I broke down and ordered a few more goodies for the pig from my friend in Yemen. That is a pair of rear door, quarter window weatherstrips in the plastic. :D

I hesitated ordering the chrome headlight trims as mine are fine other than they need to be rechromed. One look and I can't believe I hesitated.

EEEAA2E2-F698-4CF5-9644-A297FD7C37C0.jpeg

no chrome bumper?, thought that was a middle east thing
It’s definitely a Middle East thing. Pig came with chrome grill and headlight bezels but painted bumpers. These two on the other hand are sporting chrome bumpers. Maybe I’ve been over here too long but the look has definitely grown on me.

410DC693-C6A9-4BD8-9853-45B968501776.jpeg

EE2A736A-AF6C-47CB-826D-395C24A5616A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom