a couple of minor "annoyances" I'd love to fix... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a loud whining noise too, then I got a divorce and it went away.
but that almost always is accompanied by bitching and moaning as well.

A tennis ball or racket ball between the bracket and the rear door does wonders.

@TEakins I think I know exactly why that wider tire fixed your rattle. If I didn't mount that 2" spacer behind my 10.5" tire it would press against the body, causing pressure which would not allow it to rattle. I didn't like that idea because I was worried it would rub my paint.....but it could be a solution if it bothers me that much. Thanks for the info.
My tire does not rub on any of the body - it just fits more snug against the tube framework of the tire carrier. Do you have the early tire carrier?

My tire does not rub on any of the body - it just fits more snug against the tube framework of the tire carrier. Do you have the early tire carrier?
Yeah mine is the early version....the square style that is on the right hand side.

The spare tire carrier has a adjustable cushion at the top and fixed pad at the bottom. If you don't have those there a missing.

Been a crazy few weeks but I've got a little update. I took her out for a short drive to try and record the "whining" sound and didn't really have much luck, but as I was watching the videos I realized that the "whining" sound really only happens with the OD in high and at cruising speed. Under acceleration it isn't that bad....when I let off the gas it's annoying. As I cruise at around 60mph it comes and goes in relation to the gas pedal being pushed to maintain speed. I guess the only thing I could think would be to put heavier weight oil in the OD?? I have fresh 80/90W gear oil in it now....should I go heavier?

As far as the spare tire carrier rattle....I found a short, stiff spring that fit inside the upper rubber bumper and I'm hoping that will help. I'll have to take it for another drive to test and will update after that.

…it comes and goes in relation to the gas pedal being pushed to maintain speed.
Is your rig carb’d? They can make a “whining“ noise from the increased air flow into the venture at high rates. Just a thought.

(but a fairly high pitched whine)

@middlecalf Yes it's running the stock Aisan carb. It doesn't sound like a whistling though....definitely more like a gear whine. I assume the sound you're referring to would be under heavy acceleration due to the larger amount of airflow, right? This whining happens when I'm barely on the throttle....cruising at 60mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom