Resealing a Fairey Overdrive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_9115.jpeg

I had a conversation with Georg at Roundup about the Fairey overdrive on my '78 45. He gave me no hope. I can't tell yet if this thread makes me more hopeful or less.

I had a conversation with Georg at Roundup about the Fairey overdrive on my '78 45. He gave me no hope. I can't tell yet if this thread makes me more hopeful or less.
I have been looking for sometime also, they are out there , it’s just motivating their caretakers to let them go.
Here some pics in the mean time of mine . The shift knob is on order from UK. Gaskets are cut. 100% complete. 😊
IMG_6152.jpeg
IMG_6153.jpeg
IMG_6154.jpeg

I pulled this unit off the shelf because it has the earlier input gear. But when I looked down the bore, I saw 16 splines. So it must be the 74/early 75 type.
IMG_9118.jpeg

I pulled this unit off the shelf because it has the earlier input gear. But when I looked down the bore, I saw 16 splines. So it must be the 74/early 75 type.
View attachment 3604678
After a lot of learning about these. I guess I’m looking for a 10spline type suitable for a 3spd box. Willing to swap my 16spline one if required to make the deal. ?

GLWS. I don’t have one of those

Wow , thanks Mark . Would that be the bearing sleeve (#35- 6402)? and then there is another drive sleeve (#21-6401)

Interesting, When is the best time to call ?

View attachment 3604162
Been a long time but as I remember #35 changes depending on which transmission. The couple pieces that slide on the transmission transfer case have match the transmission. I never measured to diameter of the section of top half that slides into the transfer case when I owned all of these. Possible the diameter was larger for the larger bearing's space it occupies. Didn't think did it but depending your transfer case should verify.
0002.JPG

Curious did you get the four special studs use on the top four of the hole threaded holes used to attach the OD to the transfer case. Those were the hardest part to find years ago. Some pulled the OD and just used washers and nuts on these stud to install the back cover.

Been a long time but as I remember #35 changes depending on which transmission. The couple pieces that slide on the transmission transfer case have match the transmission. I never measured to diameter of the section of top half that slides into the transfer case when I owned all of these. Possible the diameter was larger for the larger bearing's space it occupies. Didn't think did it but depending your transfer case should verify.
View attachment 3606446
Curious did you get the four special studs use on the top four of the hole threaded holes used to attach the OD to the transfer case. Those were the hardest part to find years ago. Some pulled the OD and just used washers and nuts on these stud to install the back cover.
Yes, I did get those m8-m10 studs (4)
It’s all a complete unit including correct shims and spacers internally. Other than the drive sleeve it’s all in very good condition .
My option is to get the drive sleeve made with 10spline also a sleeve made to compensate for the smaller dia gbox main shaft and machine a 4spd pto gear to suit my overdrive.
Then I will have achieved what I set out to do !
Doing fun stuff can get expensive!

40 series Land Cruisers use to be a cheap hobby. That has certainly changed.
I couldn't imagine having a stock PTO gear machined to fit the OD without a sample. The input gear does have the correct splines and diameter. But still quite the project.

Yes, I did get those m8-m10 studs (4)
It’s all a complete unit including correct shims and spacers internally. Other than the drive sleeve it’s all in very good condition .
My option is to get the drive sleeve made with 10spline also a sleeve made to compensate for the smaller dia gbox main shaft and machine a 4spd pto gear to suit my overdrive.
Then I will have achieved what I set out to do !
Doing fun stuff can get expensive!
I have been considering your trajectory over the weekend. I don't know if this a realistic possibility, but if it is, it would be easier than reinventing the wheel...possibly.

Your plan would involve using a broach to cut the internal splines. There is already such a broach out there. Advance Adapters owns both 10 and 16 spline broaches to make their own adapters. Perhaps they could be persuaded to work on your project.

I think that if it were my broach, I would want to have control over the exact metal that would be welded inside the sleeve that needed to be recut. Broaches are expensive to make, expensive to repair, and have a life expectancy. I learned about this from @Downey 30 years ago. I also knew a guy who repaired the broaches used to make Timken bearings. Super-hard stuff.

Good luck with that. FWIW, I did manage to find the other 10 spline sleeve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom