99 miles to the new sty! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tomba

SILVER Star
Threads
Just picked up this 72 pig a few weeks ago here in NorCal. Super excited! Planning on addressing just the mechanicals, get it running and leave the body as is(minimal rust). 82k original miles. Plenty of items to replace however. Many of the clips and hose clamp disinigrate as I try to remove them.
Got it running after replacng the fuel lines/hand cranking it/marvels mystery oil etc. and letting the fuel pump , pump out the old gas. Used a gas can w fresh gas/new filter to get it running but not idling that well. So rather than chase a potential vaccum leak other related carb issues and knowing that I'll end up having to rebuild the carb and remove the tank, I went ahead and removed both and plan on having the carb rebuilt and the tank boiled and sealed for starters. I picked up a MIkes carb rebuild kit but i'd rather have someone else take on that job although looks fairly simple (orig Aisan 2brl) I'd rather have someone do it right the 1st time... the tank vent hoses are usable but the ends where they were removed them are toast so might need to replace a few. Am sure I'll have tons of quetions as I progress into the repairs. Seems there is some really solid advice given on Ih8 forum(s) but finding it may be a challenge. Super stioked on finally finding one of these ol pigs!

the ol pig.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the pics from the sales ad here on IH8 Pig - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPhFVxofx8Q42afqtbGo9Pi7vXmylHACLOuqGDsCQVjaPjCozzqaOZHVKfWmzMreA?key=S3JnSVpxMUI5clZtVnJiYUV6Vk5HVGxzeHdOclFB

and a few addl ones...I am looking for the dome light mechanism (I know there's another section to post this but if anyone happens to have one :).

dome light.jpg

engine.jpg

pig 1.jpg

Aisan carb.jpg

few more details. This was orignaly purchased in Santa Rosa CA which less then 100 miles from where I bought it! so its entire life appears to have been in Norcal!(hence the minimal rust) Ive attached the engine compartment tag and also a few other pics one is ( no its not a slinky) its whats left of one of the heater hoses. Original mats too. its a 72 with a late 71 manuf date.

model tag.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the pics from the sales ad here on IH8 Pig - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPhFVxofx8Q42afqtbGo9Pi7vXmylHACLOuqGDsCQVjaPjCozzqaOZHVKfWmzMreA?key=S3JnSVpxMUI5clZtVnJiYUV6Vk5HVGxzeHdOclFB

and a few addl ones...I am looking for the dome light mechanism (I know there's another section to post this but if anyone happens to have one :).

View attachment 3177724

View attachment 3177725

View attachment 3177726

View attachment 3177727
I have a dome light...but I am going to play around and see if I can 3D print a new switch for it. Then I was going to put it up for sale. I will let you know if I am successful.

yep, looking to trade that for an early model..
I'd trade you but I'm back on the east coast. Congrats! I can't wait to see what you do with it!!

Newer year hood, brown front fender or fenders and a wrinkled under hood tag means it was in a collision of some sort. That’s my guess. Still a super rust free looking truck. Post pics and keep digging in. Lots of mechanical refreshing you can do now that it’s starting to come apart. Enjoy it and POST PICS!
Nice observation on the hood tag! I'l post more as I dig in for sure. First step is to get the tank and carb sorted, likely some cooling system leaks too as the hoses are looking pretty brittle;)

While I am waiting to have the carb and tank repaired thought I would dive into the electrical stuff.:oops:. for starters, I sanded the fuse block and replaced all the fuses. The dome light has power and the headlight come on but none of the running lights, dash lights or interior lights come on. I backed out the light switch , disconnected it and found only one of the red wires shows power but none of the other leads have power coming to them. My initial question is how can I chase down the source of why the power is not reaching the other red wire to the switch. maybe only one red is intended to have power and it's the switch? Any ideas?

light switch.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom