$98 ARB-Clone Snorkel install -- It turned out GREAT!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.foodrenegade.com
Quick Intro: I picked up a $5k 1999 stock, locked LC about two weeks ago, and I am building it up for a bit of overlanding. I'm fairly mechanical -- used to be a Porsche service manager, but really am more of a Toyota man at heart. I also co-lead off-road dualsport motorcycle trips through Mexico. I bought this truck to take my kids up through some of the super remote mountainous places that love where I take my motorcycle guys. Some of these places are somewhat gnarly to get to, hence the build.
Anyway, Hi!! *smiles and waves.

20180316_161436.jpg

Yesterday I got a cheap Snorkel kit in the mail from Amazon, and I installed it today. Since it really is an exceptionally nice bit of kit, and it turned out very well, AND there are no instructions with the kit, I thought I'd share some photos and my experience with it, hoping it might help other Cruisers get into one of these nice kits. Further more, not only is it super solid, a correct fit, and it looks good, but it also is SUPERIOR to the ARB kit in that this actually has the CORRECT ANTENNA cutout.

41B3i5JP8EL.jpg

Unaffiliated Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBIQFK3

Aside from the actual snorkel and its associated hardware, the only other thing in the box was a cardboard template. As this was supposedly a 'cheap knock-off' kit about 1/2 of my total install time was spent measuring, double checking and re-measuring everything as I was very slow to trust this template. I am happy to say that once you figure out how it aligns, it was 100% spot on.

20180316_120519.jpg

The pin-sized small hole all the way to the right is the center hole for the snorkel's hole saw. The left aligns along the door, the top right half along the door, and the curve along the bottom follows the top of the fender. You also need to cut out an egg-shaped hole to clearance the antenna.

20180316_120529.jpg

Here are some measurements to help you eye-ball it. This doesn't have to be perfect -- no cuts will be made based on the template's antenna hole; it just makes it so you can lay the template flat to your right fender.

20180316_141158.jpg

I found it incredibly useful to use a roll of green masking tape that I had laying around to hold the template and then draw directly on the fender, plus it helped protect the paint when cutting....

...continued!

Last edited:
20180316_141454.jpg

the big holes requires a 4.25" hole saw. For some reason it was frequently said a 4" is sufficient, but it simply is too small -- and you odn't want to screw this one up. If your hole is too small, then it is very hard to make it larger!

20180316_141825.jpg

I transcribed the template directly onto the fender using the green tape so that I could preserver the template w/o any holes. At this point I was still not sure if I trusted the template to be correct, so I was being very cautious. FYI the big 4.25" hole saw was $20 from Harbor Freight.

20180316_143734.jpg

Silly me; my battery had to be swapped out so I got this swell photo of the partially cut hole. Ah! the drama. And seriously: there is some real emotional duress while cutting a huge hole in the fender of your perfectly fine new Land Cruiser!

20180316_143853.jpg

Bingo!

...continued...

20180316_150124.jpg

One big 4.25" hole, then 5 smaller 0.5" holes. Watch out with this one -- it's the left-most, bottom hole -- and if you go too deep you'll hit the antenna housing. None of the holes lined up with the locations of wires in the fender. So at least that's safe!
You can also see the outline of the snorkel traced onto the green tape, again this was me continuing to measure and re-measure that the template was correct.

20180316_150148.jpg

You can see where the upper mount will be. It requires three 3/16" holes and the bracket is riveted in place using pop rivets, which are included, but you'll need a pop rivet gun.
I didn't get a photo of this, but the snorkel itself is incredibly sturdy feeling. It has a very nice, uniform satin/ micro-pebbled finish, and it has five metal inserts in the back where studs are installed. The studs themselves are above-average with allen key hex holes in them to make them easy to install. I didn't measure, but I believe the studs were metric M8 sized ( about 3/8" in diameter) and about 30mm long. The bottom-left most stud did not correspond with it's hole, and I had to 'oval' it to make it taller. The holes themselves are 1/2".
20180316_152920.jpg

I sponged-dabbed on some etching primer around all my cuts to protect against rust, then spray painted the inside of the fender. You can see where I had to oval the bottom left most hole. From here it was just a question of fitting it in place and reaching up into the fender and tightening it all up. The kit included nice large fender washers and nyloc nuts. There is a very tough rubber snake that securely seals the snorkel to the airbox, in fact I was impressed with its stoutness. The kit included nice little details like making the visible fastners that go on the snorkel black, including a black hose clamp for the inlet.

20180316_190643.jpg

Detail of the very nice consideration of my antenna, molded into the design.

20180316_161436.jpg

All in all I was very impressed and pleased with this kit. I knew I wanted a snorkel for my truck, and I had assumed I would have to buy a $300+ one to get the quality that I demand. And for whatever it's worth, as a former Porsche guy my standards are really high. I can't imagine paying more and receiving anything nicer.

Two thumbs up. Do it!

There's a link to the kit on Amazon for $98 in the first post.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Looks great, thanks for the write up! Side question, what roof rack is that?

Looks great, thanks for the write up! Side question, what roof rack is that?
It is a CraigsList Special that I've been working pretty hard to get sorted out just right. I'm almost done now.... I'm sorry I don't know what it is, but the seller mentioned he thought it was a Fab Four, though I am not familiar with the brand.
I've added a 4'x6' cedar wood deck to it and a Dobinson 8'x9.8' awning. Its pretty solid!

20180316_092622.jpg

20180316_092632.jpg

I'm very happy with both of these additions, and have a Dobinson rear bumper and tire carrier arriving in a few days.

Thanks for asking.

HF fan!

I am ready for a snorkel, but would that make wind noise at freeway speeds?

Looks great. Fwiw you can use riv nuts to hold the snorkel to the fender.

We use em on blind trolling motor mounts all the time on aluminum duck boats.

That was some good detailed step by step info. Thanks for taking the time for sharing.
Nothing wrong with the ebay/amazon snorkels i have one installed on my 80 for 4years
Now and stays parked outside seems to take the harsh desert temps. Well....No signs of it being brittle.

Nice writeup...thanks..

Vendor is showing “out of stock” on Amazon...

Not your fault amigo. It’s just how things go!

can you add a photo of your front headlights? They look good..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom