94 Land Cruiser automatic transmission(A442F) filter bolt torque. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

May

Threads
Hello. Can't find the specs for the transmission filter torque. In Haynes all it says is transmission oil pan to 61 in lbs. No mention of the filter torque. Chiltons says "Inspect, clean or replace the transmission filter or strainer at this time, if necessary. If the filter is removed, be ready for an additional rush of fluid. For all transmissions except the A440F, tighten the bolts to 48 inch lbs. (6 Nm). On the A440F, tighten the 8mm bolts to 48 inch lbs. (6 Nm) and the 10mm bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm)." On a 96 LC repair manual it says 84 in lbs. Does 48 in lbs sound about right?

This is the complete set of service specifications from the '94 FSM:
upload_2017-3-5_10-4-26.png

Reactions: May
These are from the '95 FSM:
upload_2017-3-5_10-5-56.png

Here are the "On vehicle repair" specifications (step 4 appear to be what you want):
upload_2017-3-5_10-8-58.png

I'd toss those aftermarket manuals if I were you. For $15 you can get the entire FSM for any year 80 series. I downloaded both the '94 and '95 manuals and a chunk of my LX570 manual and had time left over.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=ti_home_page&contextType=external&username=string&password=sercure_string&challenge_url=https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/login/techinfo&request_id=-532676684801226456&authn_try_count=0&locale=en_US&resource_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.techinfo.toyota.com%2F

If your browser complains, add the exception and ignore it.

Since the pages for the 80 series are individual pdf per FSM section, I suggest creating a directory structure for storage before downloading the manual. Use the TIS structure for your plan:
upload_2017-3-5_10-13-56.png

Wow..thank you so much Malleus!! This is so helpful! I am downloading that for sure :)

If I could pick your brain one more time... So if you're telling me to choose step 4, oil strainer CASE x Valve body = 7 ft lbs, then what is oil strainer x Valve body = 61 in lbs?

Sorry for the late response, had to break for lunch.

I also apologize for my lack of clarity in my response. I posted the '95 manual info for comparison. Toyota revised the manual between '94 and '95 and added some "on-vehicle procedures", which include changing the filter. These were in the Automatic Transmission unit repair supplement for the '94 model year. Toyota clearly expected the filter (strainer) service would be a "unit repair" (we'd call it overhaul/rebuild), as opposed to PM.

Here are the removal and installation instruction for '94:
(Note step 12)
upload_2017-3-5_14-43-50.png

Installation (35-37):
upload_2017-3-5_14-45-11.png

upload_2017-3-5_14-45-42.png

Remember you can convert in·lbs to ft·lbs and vice versa by dividing/multiplying by 12. The difference between 61 and 84 in·lbs is only 2-ft·lbs. Toyota's main concern here is that you don't strip the tapped holes in the aluminum casting. If you did, you'd have to repair them with Helicoil inserts or something equivalent. Not the end of the world, but not something I'd wake up looking forward to either.

I apologize for my late reply; I had to break for lunch. I also apologize for the lack of clarity in my earlier responses. I added the '95 FSM excerpts for comparison. In '94, Toyota considered filter replacement part of the overhaul/rebuild process (unit repair), not PM (on-vehicle procedures) [which were also easier for me to put my hands on, at the time].

Here are the removal and installation instructions from the '94 unit repair manual (RM388U)

Removal (note step 12):
upload_2017-3-5_14-55-24.png

Installation:
upload_2017-3-5_14-55-54.png

upload_2017-3-5_14-56-17.png

Remember you can convert between in·lbs and ft·lbs by dividing/multiplying by 12. The total deviation from 61-in·lbs to 7-ft·lbs (84-in·lbs) is only 2-ft·lbs. (My elbow is calibrated within that range ;) but then I'm a former aviation mechanic, so don't try this at home kids) Toyota's concern here is that the fasteners are tight enough to prevent loosening during operation by vibration (rattling free), and also preventing stripping threads in the aluminum casting. If you did strip them, they'd have to be repaired using Helicoil inserts, or equivalent. Not the end of the world, but not something I'd wake up looking forward to either.

HTH

I torqued it initially as you stated 7 ft-lbs = 84 in-lbs. So after your update I torqued it down to 61 in-lbs. Ok I guess the strainer is bolted to a valve body and that's where the 7 ft-lbs of the valve body comes in.

It has 4 magnets instead of 2.
Step 14 says remove the 21 bolts of the valve body. But step 35 mentions only 10 bolts which has its own torque settings. Little confused.

I guess I'm just replacing the filter for now instead of this "unit repair" which, if I understand correctly, includes the valve body?

Sorry my first time posting here. You were saying "..as opposed to PM". What's PM?

Thanks

I just bought the LC about the first week of Feb from a second owner. There were very few metal dust. Think it's ok. Just wanted to see for myself the condition of the filter being that it's been thru 2 owners. However the right front birfield joint was leaking so replaced the axle shaft seal which was crushed on its upper half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom