92 versus 96 FZJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 96 was recently rolled and totaled. In my search for the next one, I have come up with a low mile 92. Curious from the collective knowledge of the esteemed members of this site what the significant differences are between the two?

Thank you

The engine in the 92 has less power but is the most reliable engine ever imagined by man, it has more reliable drum brakes in the rear, and semi float vs full float rear axle. The front stub axle is also a bit shorter on the 92, which doesn't effect anything really but it is a minor difference. There are a few more minor differences, but for all intents and purposes unless you are building an offroad monster those differences really don't matter.

My 92 has no anti-lock brakes so no computer to worry about ever taking a dump 292 3av old school very simple motor no overhead cams on a 92 you don't have to worry about any timing chain or timing belt it has two gears for the timing but you will need to adjust the valves every 15,000 miles or so. For me I wouldn't trade my 92 for a 96 or 97 well maybe only if I have to pull a trailer a lot of people say that 92 is very slow but if you do the correct maintenance and keep things the way they should be it's not as bad as some people say

Also keep in mind a 92 has the old R12 freon it may or may not have been converted to 134 I still run r12, today it's a hundred and ten in Phoenix and I'm putting out 40 degrees at the vent, I like R12 better the pressures are lower you get a lot better Cooling and you can tell a lot by looking at your sight glass

crappier brakes, less power, weaker rear axle :p

Did I mention less power?:flipoff2:

Last edited:
If you do decide to buy the 92 welcome to the slow lane

I don't totally buy this, I can put the cruise control at 70-75 on my 3FE (probably closer to 75-80 when adjusted for tires). It needs to get higher RPMs in the hills, but they are ones that even give our V8 UZJ100 trouble. Both engines in the 80 are pretty damn slow, with one being marginally faster up long grades. A 91/92 will go the speed limit, maybe not 90.

Your 3FE guys crack me up. Your not selling me for one minute. I could not imagine going any slower. If I did bicycles would pass me on the way up the mountain.

Other differences not mentioned
Lockers
OBDII vs OBDI
Airbags
Transmission (electronic vs hydraulic controlled)
15"/16" wheels

By the way you better go check the oil pump I can see it leaking from here

On caravan runs through the hills, there is one good thing that can be said about the 3FE rigs; they are not as painfully slow as the lifted jeep charocars, sometimes, maybe.

Well the 92 has less creature comforts than a newer one like missing power seats and automatic climate control. Rear disc brakes are self cleaning and cool better so less chance of brake fade. I personally like abs brakes as they have helped me out on icy roads. Full floater is nice if you break a axle shaft offroad. You can get factory lockers with the 93 and up models. As far as motors, the 3fe is a good motor, but its old technology. The 1fz is a better motor. It is overall more efficient and better designed. If taken care of properly it will far exceed 300k miles. The 3fe while reliable, I have not seen many go past 300k.1fz does not have a ton more power than the 3fe, but it has far more potential. Their are several different supercharger and turbo options for the 1fz to bring it into v8 power territory. If you want selectable lockers you can get them cheapest by buying a factory locked rig as it usually only adds like 2k or less to the purchase price. The 3fe models are typically cheaper to purchase, and that can be appealing if money is tight. The 3fe probably has a bit more landcruiser character because its very similar to the the 2f and f motors if your into landcruiser heritage a lot.

I have owned my 92 since new. Never touched the motor. She runs like a top and has never let me down. I bought a 93 a few months ago. It was the first rust free 80 I could find. It happened to have lockers as well.

Aside from the leaking oil from the distributor, oil pump cover, and pretty much everywhere else, the gawd awful power seats that are uncomfortable and give less leg room, the worrying about the head gasket blowing, it's a great rig. Would I trade my 92 for a 93-97? Not a freaking chance.

I like my tractor motor and bus tranny.

0-60 times are within .2 of a second. If you need to go faster than 70 buy a Grand Cherokee. Not too many trails do I drive 70mph...

I like that my 92 is mechanical. Less electronics. I couldn't care less about OBDII. Means nothing to me. Certainly isn't a selling point.

In 24 years I never had an issue stopping my 92 with drum brakes. And 16" wheels vs 15" wheels is a moot argument. If it's that important to you you can grab a set of 16" FZJ wheels cheap. Hell, I'll trade you my 93 16"S for your 92 15"S. The 15"s are a cooler looking wheel. IMHO

And leather is whack!

Drive it. If you like it, buy it.

I own both a '92 and a '94. I will admit that I bought the '94 because the 3FE was too slow at altitude--I couldn't keep up with the city bus on hills in Utah (4000 - 8000 ft above sea level).

However, I also couldn't sell the '92. The lever operated HVAC system, bullet-proof engine, no rear spoiler, cloth interior, etc are all great features. It lives in CA now and at sea level it does highway speeds--even uphill. It also has an awesome stereo, courtesy of the PO.

The '94 has a bit more power, and a bunch of added features like ARB lockers front and rear, sliders, dual batteries, etc. Best improvement over the '92: it is possible to replace the oil dipstick after checking your oil without using sorcery. However I live my life in fear because I have the original head gasket and go alone to remote places (208K miles).

If you ask me what feature you want most, regardless of year: cloth interior! Lucky for me, both of my Land Cruisers have cloth interiors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom