91 3FE to 2UZ Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can, however, order an '03 pan and put it on later models. I believe @Keaton has a thread where this was worked out.

Some progress this week...

Did more of the little stuff.. getting the bay cleared out, pulled more parts off the donor, and got it stabbed in for the first time...

20210922_182218.jpg

20210922_182223.jpg

Awesome! This is always what I’ve wanted to do with my ‘92, but I’m too loyal to the old 3FE that refuses to die

Sub'd for the awesomeness..... I've read most of the swap threads and wondered why not just plug the whole thing in in one sha-bang?

Soo another thing learned from Camo is that these drivetrains get hot... the housings can put out some heat...

Even looking at the 100, you can see where they added heat shielding in the tunnel area.. thats definitely not there on the 80s/60s
20211001_174328.jpg

Soo I got some Design Engineering heat and sound adhesive shielding.. it has an aluminum sheet with insulation and sticky backing...

Definitely some awkward stuff to fit.. its not pretty but covers the part... hopefully keeps from melting the floor..

Here's me laying on the floor looking up wondering if it's gonna work..
20211002_124600.jpg

Soo another thing learned from Camo is that these drivetrains get hot... the housings can put out some heat...

Even looking at the 100, you can see where they added heat shielding in the tunnel area.. thats definitely not there on the 80s/60s
View attachment 2812713

Soo I got some Design Engineering heat and sound adhesive shielding.. it has an aluminum sheet with insulation and sticky backing...

Definitely some awkward stuff to fit.. its not pretty but covers the part... hopefully keeps from melting the floor..

Here's me laying on the floor looking up wondering if it's gonna work..
View attachment 2812715
Good call. I wish I did something on my 80. It definitely gets hot and I have it well insulated inside. Tuffy console gets pretty toasty.

Awesome!

@Skitz , do you mind posting info on mounts when you get a chance, either dimensions or anything...?

...to help the rest of us, who are drooling at this swap and planning on how to lie to our wives, to hide the cost of a 2UZ?

@Skitz , do you mind posting info on mounts when you get a chance, either dimensions or anything...?

...to help the rest of us, who are drooling at this swap and planning on how to lie to our wives, to hide the cost of a 2UZ?

Lol great question... I started by trying to find universal mount kit that could work.. but there isn't a 2uz kit for an 80... I did buy one that looked good but it didn't.. so you will need to fab them..

We have parts truck.. use the parts truck...

Here is the driver side 100 frame mount for reference..(did I mention rusty?)... I couldn't use this side on the 80.. but you can see it's a flat mount on the 100s... the 2uz mounts on the 4 runner are different.. they are globe type mount.. for your awareness..

20211016_081205.jpg

However I could use the passenger side frame mount.. I did a clean cut where Zach had to refit the backing to the 80 frame.

20211016_081139.jpg

So the passenger side is all factory mount...

Factory Engine Mount --> Factory Insulator --> Factory frame mount

The driver side Zach had to fab up the Frame mount. Here is a pic of Zach starting.. I don't have any pics of the finished mount...
Driver side is:

Factory Engine Mount --> Factory Insulator --> Fabbed Frame Mount

20211002_125842.jpg

Again, I don't have any pics of the current mounts, I'll grab more when I get back to Zachs shop..

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom