8x Series V8 Swaps (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found a couple different guys on Craigslist that would buy trucks and rip out the powertrain for you. Let you hear it run before they take it out too.

Where is a good place to source out these motors and trannys? Car-part.com?
I bought my %.3 and 6l80e from Tilden motorsports in Gilroy ,Ca. They were very easy to deal with and patient as I wanted an engine without DOD and it took a few months for a clean low mileage one to turn up. I thought their prices were good and they do test run them and send you a short video before you purchase it

Below is a diagram I found on "Currentperformance.com" showing the Gen5 engine front with the addition of their power steering bracket on the Passenger side below the alternator. AC compressor is high on PS. Low on DS side is the vacuum pump. This may fit well between the frame rails. Notice offset water pump on the DS. This is standard on the L83 (5.3L) and L86 (6.2L) 2014 and up.

I have been studying the new LT1 Gen5 setups. There is finally some recent info coming out about them. Since they will take an entirely different exhaust manifold, new block hugger versions will probably be necessary. No power steering pump so that will have to be addressed. There is a vacuum pump where the power steering pump would reside. Supplement vacuum is necessary for the brakes as there isn't sufficient vacuum apparently. Holley does make accessory drive brackets and show the power steering pump in the drivers side and state the vacuum pump can stay.

I am very interested in doing this swap. My company truck is a 2015 Silverado 5.3 and is so smooth and powerful. I want that in my LX450 as well but may opt for a gen 4 and 6L80.

Was discussing fuel system I built for my swap with someone in PM and realized I don’t think I ever mentioned the fitting I found and used at my pump bulkhead. I’ve seen some kinda janky/possibly restrictive adaptations with 90s etc, only to have the access panel not really fit back on so I figured I’d share this bango that worked:

i ' m running stock fuel lines and fuel pump with corvette fuel filter/pressure regulator with no problems , what was the reason you went with different fuel line ?
I replaced everything else- so why not/cleanliness.

Has there been a final consensus on the stock intake box choking power? I know the stock 80 box isn't that great. Figure welding on a pair of 4" inlet/outlets might suffice?
Brainstorming what I want to do with mine. Hoping I don't need to fab a new intake box up.

Has there been a final consensus on the stock intake box choking power? I know the stock 80 box isn't that great. Figure welding on a pair of 4" inlet/outlets might suffice?
Brainstorming what I want to do with mine. Hoping I don't need to fab a new intake box up.
My butt Dyno hasn't noticed a difference with my extra 3" hole I put in the box either plugged/unplugged. I have a 93 lid that I cut out to fit 4" pipe.

To me, I just can't picture it sucking anymore air any quicker that it already is (5.3 anyway) The thing rips. And that's with a cobra head elbow at the TB, stock airbox, OEM filter, and a snorkel. Now with an LS3 that wouldn't fly.

Here is some anecdotal evidence though:

K5 blazer, same swap, ran your typical high flow intake for couple years. Swapped to small sealed filter housing hooked into an 80 series snorkel.* There was a dramatic gain due to intake temp being much lower. No noticable difference in throttle response.

*Yes, believe it or not, with a little bit of heat gun work an 80 series snorkel fits AND looks good on a K5 :flipoff2:

I noticed a big difference on my 6.0 between the stock intake box and open filter at 2000 rpm+. I made a big hole on the front side of the intake and glued in a 3" ABS (cleanout?) fitting that I can thread a blank plug into. This helped a lot with power.

Sounds good.
I might try to re-work a 200/Tundra box if I can get one for cheap. If they flow enough for a 5.7L, they should be fairly decent for a 6.2L.
Seems to be a good size, filters are easily purchased and with ease of adapting to a snorkel.

What's the latest with tuning the PCM to run the tach? When I did mine I used a Dakota digital tach driver to convert the signal to run the stock tach. I recall reading about someone turning the PCM to run the toyota tach directly. What do I tell my tuner to do with that?

Sounds good.
I might try to re-work a 200/Tundra box if I can get one for cheap. If they flow enough for a 5.7L, they should be fairly decent for a 6.2L.
Seems to be a good size, filters are easily purchased and with ease of adapting to a snorkel.
I have given this some thought. It's all dependent on the inner diameter of the throttle body if the 80 box will choke the motor I think.

I noticed a big difference on my 6.0 between the stock intake box and open filter at 2000 rpm+. I made a big hole on the front side of the intake and glued in a 3" ABS (cleanout?) fitting that I can thread a blank plug into. This helped a lot with power.
do you have some pics?

Sounds good.
tony when are you going to try this out? I'm in provo and about to start the swap in a few weeks with a lq9 and looking for easy breathing for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom