8274 Albright to Motor Wire Guage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hobbes

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m installing a 8274 and went the Albright route. With the thick welding cable from the battery, I mounted it sideways. What gauge wire is recommended for the three wires going from the solenoid to the motor for occasional winching? I’ve seen 2 AWG written, but that seems thick. The second photo below is the wire I took off the original solenoids. That is a lot thinner. What did Warn use? I cannot find it on the parts diagram. For routing purposes I’m hoping 4 or 6 AWG would be okay, but I want to do it right. And since I don’t have a heavy crimper, can I use silver solider lugs like they sell on Del City on a winch application?

Thanks!

3AC0CFA7-B35C-4D51-934B-AE60D4501400.jpeg
C37F818B-8555-40EB-B84B-4ADDA34BA9DC.jpeg

I would use #2 copper and I would crimp the ends. If you use undersized wire and just solider the lugs on. The under sized wire is going to get hot and the solider is going to melt out. Then you would have possibly a very loose wire or the wire could come out of the lugs and ground out.

I will check my 8274 tomorrow and see what size wire is coming out of the solenoid.

Thanks. Yeah, the concept of the heat with the solder is what I’m worried about.

I don't remember exactly what gauge I used, but I think it was 2 AWG. The cables were a little difficult to fit under the cover. There are photos of mine in this thread if that helps: Wiring an 8274 + Albright

The thing is, an 8274 draws some serious amperage on start-up, so you don't want to skimp on the cables.

Warn used 2 gauge, so I'd consider that a minimum.

If Warn used 2 gauge, then 2 gauge it is. I won't go less that factory.

Any tips on how to do/buy the wires? I don't have a large crimper. I'm assuming as the Albright sits, I'll need to custom run the wires and won't be really sure how to run them until they are on.

If you come through Sacramento, I have the monster crimpers, the marine lugs and the cable.

Agree that welding cable is more flexible, marine wire is more corrosion proof.

If Warn used 2 gauge, then 2 gauge it is. I won't go less that factory.

Any tips on how to do/buy the wires? I don't have a large crimper.

NAPA auto parts stores will make any length and gauge you want, with crimped connectors, very reasonably.

You could check you local auto parts store and get short starter cables, they should have the ends already pressed on.

You could also go to the hardware store and get some lugs that are mechanical, that way you can get a good connection with out crimpers. Then put a heat shrink over it for looks.

Napa’s crimper was broke, but I found another auto parts machine shop to make a wire for me. Came out fine. I’ve ordered some wire boots and will finish the mock-up when those arrive. Thanks for all the help.

Another option (too late?) is to buy a crimper or a crimper ($15-$40) so you'll already have it to make up some nice custom cables for your other vehicles. Buy some extra terminals and scraps of cable to practice on first. Plenty of places sell cable cut to your requested lengths so you don't even need to buy a special cutting tool.

Don't forget the "mil-spec" terminals for easy addition of accessory connectors and an overall better (and longer lasting) clamp design.

How else can I spend your money? :) Oh, yeah...cutters.

That’s the plan. Another issue I have is the winch mount is welded to the frame. Not going to help the engine pull.

not in my area, i asked them to do it they looked at me like i was nuts

:meh: The difference between California and Texas I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom