Builds '81 Trekker ReDistruction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Plastic? ;)

guides.jpg

I've used it for years in this format:
View attachment 1844202

The secret is to keep it wet for awhile - which works better with the liquid and a foam brush (or old/cheap paintbrush). Knock the loose stuff off with a wire brush and then slather it with the rust remover. Then have something else to work on and just keep slopping some converter on there every now and then until it looks good to you.
I'm getting some yellowing where it goes on too thick.

IMG_20181203_161916.jpg

IMG_20181203_161921.jpg

IMG_20181203_161931.jpg

Sweet build @Pacer! She's come along way. I don't think you should need to chop the fenders. The crawler that I rescued had it's fenders intact and crawled/wheeled just fine!

I think it was a mixture of the lift and 33's. It could've easily fit 35's but the 33's allowed it to really flex her legs.

Regardless of what you do with it, it's a sweet piece and very nice work!

Just wrapped up an order, consisting of many little nit-picky hoses, gaskets, clamps, fuel lines and rad hoses.
Thanks for all the leg work @beno, couldn't do this without you! :cheers:
Should be enough to plumb and reinstall the gas tank and finalize the fuel system.
He even tracked down a new fuel sender and we agreed to try a j60/62 fuel pickup, see how it matches up with my rotten one. :bounce:

I'm getting some yellowing where it goes on too thick.

Hmmm… I've never encountered anything like that. I wonder if it is something else in the aerosol version?

I just knock the loose stuff off with a wire brush and rinse things off with soap and water. If it is only happening where it gets too thick, it would seem to be something in the mixture itself.

So Cool!! Was reading back through and had to laugh when you were working on the gas tank. I remember dragging my tank around our field, wrapped up in an old mattress, full of washers and nuts. Pretty redneck but it worked!

Looking sweet poor 62 looks as lonely as mine (well almost lol)

Nice cage work did you bend it up

Looking sweet poor 62 looks as lonely as mine (well almost lol)

Nice cage work did you bend it up
Negative, the cage was built by my fab guy Jeff in Pottstown last winter.

The 62 is in good company, does need some attention tho. Gotta pull the SplitCase and see why 4wd quit enguaging :crybaby:

So, obviously I drove this thing around a little the other day, tires at 10-20lbs, no power steering belt, but it goes, stops, turns, it even charges the battery.

Good power and throttle response. Would not stay running tho, even after turning up the idle.... Funny idled fine in the garage.

Very little brake boost!

Starts right back up.

Cold starts and runs for a minute or so, till the auto choke turns off.

Smells rich when keeping it running with the accelerator.

So, I'll check for vac leaks, then swap to the China Carb so I can report back to Burl.

Nice specimen she’s going to sweet when done! Bill Burk had a nice one in toyota owners mag always liked the trekker.

Got my nit picky parts from LCPC, thanks @beno!
FJ60 fuel pickup is for a shallow tank, pick up/4runner is a deeper tank. I could bend the pickup tubes, but I'm gonna keep trying for a different solution.
The original fuel pickup was completely clogged with old gas and it has a crack in the hard line at the flange.
I will try and solder this shut, failing that, I've got a buddy who can brase it shut.
So much work in one fuel tank :bang:

IMG_20181219_104035.jpg
IMG_20181219_131314.jpg
IMG_20181219_131344.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom