Builds '81 Trekker ReDistruction

Pacer

SILVER Star

So.....
That was underwhelming!
Took Theo out for a ride around the neighborhood. (Satisfying in its own right)

What can I say?
It's an old, rattling, underpowered mini truck on 33s with stock gears and a worn-out transmission.

The good:
Clutch feels strong, all gears and 4wd work.
Power steering and steering overall feels good. The lines are old, but holding for now.
Chinese carb works okay @VA.CRUISER wanted to know. Starts and idles perfect, it's rich and stinky on deceleration. Needs tweeking....
Fuel system/tank resto works.
No leaks.
Cooling system held temp.
It didn't burn to the ground :bounce:

Punch list time:
Set timing (we stopped a few times and adjusted it, but need to get a light on it.
Sort out vacuum lines and rebuild the vac advance on the distributor, one diaphragm leaks.
And because of the lack of advance, the engine falls on it's face as you get up in the RPMs

BRAKES! All around need work. I left it all stock and just cleaned/freed everything up previously.
Now I'm gonna install the double diaphragm booster, longer steel braded lines, V6 calipers/rotors and all the e-brake chits Beno sold me.

More sound deadening!
I have installed some in the doors and headliner, now time for the floors. Then I'll toss in a cheapo carpet kit I got on eBay a while back.

There is plenty more to do, but that's what it needs to get properly road worthy.

Stay tuned.

IMG_20190519_182740.jpg

Last edited:

Pacer

SILVER Star

RE: Punch list above ^^^

Exhaust: Yanked the stock manifold/down pipe/cat and installed a headder @jamarquardt22 gave me a while back. Added some parts store straight pipe and an old Flow Master I had in storage, thanks @Riverhead.

IMG_20190523_145928.jpg

Final pics to follow, pulled it all out to weld it up and make room for suspension removal....

IMG_20190523_154556.jpg

Pacer

SILVER Star

RE: Punch list

I started in on the brakes, was just going to replace the front with v6 calipers and rotors. I got the wrong rotors from Napa and couldn't track down the correct ones. This is still a mystery to me...

IMG_20190611_200944.jpg

The front axle seals are leaking, there is play in the trunnion bearings on both sides, and I happen to have THIS sitting beside the garage.

IMG_20190612_122838.jpg

V6 third with air locker and 4.88s, shaved drain plug, armor, braced and gusseted, v6 brakes, ifs knuckles, 59"wms, mount for ram assist. Unknown axles, but given the condition of the outside.... 🤷

IMG_20190612_120203.jpg

IMG_20190612_120212.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom